WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/11/2020 9:35 AM  #1

Leek or Stamford?

Who are the better team?  We’ve played against both of them, drawn against Stamford and lost to Leek. Both were runaway league leaders last season before the curtailment and both look certain to be challenging again this season. Both are very strong sides.  

Ilkeston Town  2  Stamford 2
Personally I like the way Stamford play. They have some excellent individual players like midfielder Rob Morgan and they really attack the opposition. They also have two outstanding wingers in Tendai Chitina and Cosmas Matwasa. Mitchell Tait was given his league debut against Stamford. When I saw the team sheet I thought we were taking a risk knowing what the Stamford wingers were like but I needn’t have worried. It was a cracking match and for me, we were lucky to draw.

This is what Trowell Nicky said: “What an enjoyable game. And what a good side Stamford are. Such pace and skill all through the team. And they play at such a high tempo. And what a good player Rob Morgan is (Number 8); I wonder if they’d sell us him and Cosmos Matwasa (Number 11)? They did something I want our lot to do – when they attacked they would have 6 or 7 players in or around the box; when we attack it’s often just Troke and Goodson. There were periods in the game when we just couldn’t cope with them. They were the better side and could easily have been 2 or 3 goals to the good at half time. I’d guess they’re the yardstick for the league; surely they’ll finish in the top 2? And we did pretty well against them, once we adjusted after the initial onslaught. I thought in the second half we were the better team until they had a man sent off, and thereafter it looked like it was us with 10 men.I thought Ross Durrant had a good second half, the youngsters at full-back did well (what a test, up against Matwasa!), and Jack Thomas had a good game. I like Troke more and more, he certainly seems to win most of his aerial challenges and 2 well-taken penalties under pressure.”

Ilkeston Town  2  Leek Town  3
In my opinion Leek are a more robust side than Stamford who defend well and break quickly. Most people felt we were unlucky to lose this one. 

These were Trowell Nicky’s comments after our 3-2 defeat 

“Firstly, what a terrific game of football. I thought we played really well, a contender for our best performance of the season. And a game we were very unlucky to lose. We could easily have won the game on any other night. And if you can say those things when playing a very good Leek side, surely that’s grounds for optimism? Leek and Stamford are established, settled sides who’ve been together for a while now; we’re not, we’re the new kids on the block and it’s going to take time to build the squad we need. We were really at it from the get-go last night, which made a nice change. We were the better team in the first half. What we don’t have, and what we keep getting exposed by, are players that run at a defence with pace. Newcastle, Leek, and Stamford have those type of players, and we could do with one or two. 

17/11/2020 9:42 AM  #2

Re: Leek or Stamford?

I wonder how many Ilkeston players people think would get in the Leek side or the Stamford side? Would Durrant, Troke, and Reid be contenders? The Leek full-backs didn’t look anything special, would Bennett and Wilson be contenders?  Would Goodson raise his game, with better players around him?

17/11/2020 8:40 PM  #3

I used to teach one of Leeks full backs many years ago and I am sure he still has not done his Art homework so Bennet and Wilson would certainly get a place. i thought their midfield were very inventive and dangerous which makes it easier for their forwards to poach the goals.

18/11/2020 1:04 PM  #4

The Leek full backs did a great job defensively. Especially the left back

For me our full backs need to defend first attack second. We are too easy to play through and too easy to score against

For me we need a proper defensive midfielder like Grocott for Leek. To shield the back 4 and get across to cover when the full backs bomb on

If we had such a player we wouldn’t concede so many or so easily. So that would be my priority recruitment wise

19/11/2020 11:15 AM  #5

Mmm, not sure about the right back Dick. He looked weak defensively. He seemed to be treated as the baby of the team by the other defenders, constantly barking out instructions to him. I thought Ollie Brown-Hill had a strong game against him down our left flank, and repeatedly got the better of him, especially in the first half, including for the cross to Troke for our first goal.

I do agree though that we’re way to easy to play through and to score against.

I desperately hope these are not moot points; I’ve got an awful feeling this season too will end up being abandoned.

20/11/2020 11:33 PM  #6

Dick Durrant wrote:

The Leek full backs did a great job defensively. Especially the left back

For me our full backs need to defend first attack second. We are too easy to play through and too easy to score against

For me we need a proper defensive midfielder like Grocott for Leek. To shield the back 4 and get across to cover when the full backs bomb on

If we had such a player we wouldn’t concede so many or so easily. So that would be my priority recruitment wise

I have been thinking this for while that we have been wide open in middle of the park ... Need a good player just in front of the defence .

21/11/2020 9:37 AM  #7

I went to watch Leek at Evesham on the Saturday and the right back who played against us came on as sub that day for a lad who had an absolute shocker

If your full backs are bombing on like ours do you need a very defensive central midfielder whose job it is to break play up. He shuffles from side to side covering for the full backs and gives free kicks away on half way when they break to give us time to regroup

We need such a player IMO. Sometimes I feel we have one too many attack minded player in our 11

Board footera