WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/11/2020 1:24 PM  #1

Verdict on Players

This was the Ilkeston team I picked on 1st June 2020 before pre season and before Ollie Brown-Hill and Jack Thomas were signed.  

Players in bold look certain starters in my opinion. 
1   Ross Durrant
2   Kieran Fenton
3   Billy Bennett
4   Tom Marshall
5   Joe Maguire
6   Riece Bertram
7   Alex Troke
8   Fernando Bell-Toxtle
9   Nat Watson
10 Zak Goodson
11 James Reid   

Substitutes :
12 James Cullingworth, 14 Kole Lambert, 15 Mason Lee, 16 Alex Render, 17 Richard Stainsby (GK)  
Other Players :
Ben Clark, Ayleal Dill, Joe Wilson, Ricco Spencer, Mitchell Tait   

My verdict on the players :

Ross Durrant has been outstanding and reliable as we knew he would be
I had Kieran Fenton in the team but I didn’t imagine such an upturn in his form and him becoming team captain.
Really glad to have totally committed Billy Bennett back in the team after his illness
Tom Marshall left to join Alex at Long Eaton
Club legend Joe Maguire is an experienced solid defender and superb header of the ball
Riece Bertram has not become the regular starter that I expected him to be but I still rate him as a player who gives 100%
I had Alex Troke down as a midfield player but he’s turned out to be our leading scorer playing upfront and has massively exceeded expectations in that roll.
Fernando Bell-Toxtle left to play nearer his home in Milton Keynes
Nat Watson hasn’t scored the goals I had expected but still a high quality player. Been out for a while with an injury
I didn’t expect to see Zak Goodson as a winger and thought he might struggle to get in the team. He’s another who has exceeded expectations
I thought James Reid might be slightly past his brilliant best but he’s still top quality
Experienced James Cullingworth has been a reliable and steadying influence when used
Not seen Kole Lambert so far - assume he’s been injured.
Mason Lee is on the fringe of the first team and does well when used as a sub
Alex Render has looked decent when used but has not broken into the first team
Richard Stainsby is a reliable back-up for Ross Durrant
Ben Clark hasn’t featured so far
Ayleal Dill hasn’t showed his real potential just yet but will come good given time
I knew nothing about Joe Wilson but he’s been absolutely brilliant in the number 2 shirt
Ricco Spencer has made one first team appearance and looks a promising attacking prospect 
Mitchell Tait has proved to be well up to the job in all of the games he’s played in.
Ollie Brown-Hill is quality and has lived up to expectations
Jack Thomas puts in 100% effort every game and is always involved - has been outstanding since his arrival. 

17/11/2020 1:50 PM  #2

Re: Verdict on Players

Although we have a decent squad, in my opinion, we're not currently the best or second best team in the league. So, as only two teams get promoted we need to strengthen. 

In my opinion , Leek and Stamford are definitely stronger promotion candidates than us.
Newcastle Town beat us convincingly but I think the upcoming Hartlepool match affected the performances of some of our players. 
We haven't played Worksop yet and they could be challengers as could be Loughborough, Belper and Kidsgrove.

In my opinion, what we most need is a top class winger like Cosmas Matwasa, Kevin Bastos or Rod Orlando-Young so that we are capable of attacking teams down both flanks at speed.

Last edited by Matchman (17/11/2020 1:53 PM)

17/11/2020 8:36 PM  #3

I think your right about having a player in the squad who can do the flamboyant and unexpected which always unsettles the opposition. It might be that our back up players are steady hard working players who can do a job but I still think missing that annoying type of player who deal very little most of the game but then produces a flash of brilliance which can win a game. Rod Orlando Young, Kevin Bastos and even Reco Fyfe are the last players we had of this ilk. The problem with this type of players you can sometimes feel that you are playing with ten men if they have not to the ball hence that are often used as impact substitutes.

22/11/2020 10:51 AM  #4

Great News -  We've missed him  

Nathan Watson[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/Natwatson_10]@Natwatson_10[/url] Replying to[url=https://twitter.com/PaulSkillington]@PaulSkillington

I’m back and ready for the 5th December  

22/11/2020 2:55 PM  #5

This is brilliant news and Alex Troke is probably thinking with relief that there will  be somebody else up from to share the workload. It will also mean that Trokey does not have to run on to his own headed flick ons!

28/11/2020 3:56 PM  #6

Not been to the games as I wanted but I do feel we end up wide open in-between midfield and defence if you know what I mean.

29/11/2020 9:40 AM  #7

My point exactly Kev

Too easy to play through. In big games v top sides  I feel we have one too many attack minded players in the starting eleven. Both full backs are attack minded and we don’t have a proper holding midfielder IMO

29/11/2020 11:23 AM  #8

After playing against Leek and Stamford we have to accept that we are not yet at their level. But I don't think we are too far off. In my opinion we really missed Nat Watson when he was injured. He is such an important player in the team. Despite his lack of goals so far, I would still back him to score 20 goals in a normal season. His contribution was immense and Zak Goodson was more potent when Watson was playing. I don't know what his injury was but hopefully he's now fully recovered. 
One player who has exceeded expectations is Joe Wilson. I didn't know anything about him when he arrived but he has made the number 2 shirt his own with some outstanding performances. That was unfortunate for young Mitchell Tait who was also outstanding when brought into the team at full back. Tait has proved in the games he's played, that he is good enough to play at this level and has a great future ahead of him. 

Board footera