WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/1/2021 11:19 AM  #1

Proposed competition if season is declared Null & Void

CLUB TO SUPPORT AND DRIVE BROOKBANKS PROPOSAL SAYS CHAIRMAN!

Carlton Town Chairman Mick Garton spoke to us today and told us how impressed he was with the response to Tommy Brookbanks idea of a local tournament in March, April and May and after dialogue with Vice Chairman Barry North and president Roger Smith today, the three senior figures at the club have agreed that if the league is to be made Null and Void again this season, which now looks highly likely, that they will not only support Tommy’s proposal, but the with the proviso that supporters are allowed in, will do all they can to drive the proposal.

“The response Tommy’s received as been fantastic and we will up talks with other clubs in the coming weeks” said Mick Garton.

“With around 10 teams, we could probably have a league situation with everyone playing each other home and away during an approximate 10 week period with the top four going through to a knockout stage with the top team playing the 4th placed team and 2nd playing third for a place in the final.” If more teams were to be involved and the early response indicates that may be the case, we may have to run two leagues of seven or eight and then the decision would be, do we seed teams and have two separate tournaments or do a draw for one tournament with two divisions.

“Many questions I know and all depends on what happens with the virus and the vaccine programme and how quickly things change for the better”

“We would obviously have to get it sanctioned by the Football Association and put a management committee in place to sort out the fixtures and the match officials etc, but as a one off event in theses unique circumstances, Tommy’s proposal certainly has legs”

“My understanding is that Ilkeston Town, Basford United , Hucknall Town, Gedling Miners Welfare, Dunkirk Fc and Rainworth Miners Welfare are 6 of the 12 clubs who have indicated their interest in being involved”  

“An offer of Sponsorship has already come forward and their is no doubt the revenue generated from many local derbys would help us all out, as cash flow is now non existent and many clubs are only surviving due to the generosity of benefactors and help from committed supporters”

“I must stress at this stage, these are only talks and nothing concrete is in place, but this would give something to Players and supporters alike to look forward to in what has been the most miserable 12 months in living memory”

“Tommy is a very positive person and his enthusiasm alone gives this proposal a chance, we will certainly get behind it if the season is definitely curtailed due to lack of space in the calendar to get it finished, I’m sure that will be the case now given they won’t want another knock on effect to next season, which is another factor I’m sure they are taking into consideration” said the Chairman.

“Tommy suggested games could be played Saturday’s and midweek during that period which would enable us to meet a proposed timetable”

“Watch this space and we will keep people posted when we know if we can genuinely help make this happen, it does depend on many factors but where there is a will there is usually a way” concluded the Chairman.

As we complete this post following our interview with Garton, we have breaking news that former head of the Notts Senior League, the highly respected Dick Durrant has agreed to become Chairman and head up a proposed Management Commitee of this proposed competition if it is to happen and that he will start making phone calls Monday morning to explore the possibilities.

12/1/2021 7:46 PM  #2

Re: Proposed competition if season is declared Null & Void

This looks like a cracking idea to me. Obviously depends on FA backing and what the NPL have planned.

15/1/2021 6:58 AM  #3

I knew there was talk of friendlies but a mini league involving local teams sounds a great idea . Obviously it all depends on certain things but it would be great .
And with Dick being involved it would be in really good hands . A very well respected bloke .

17/1/2021 9:26 PM  #4

END OF SEASON TOURNAMENT MOVES A STEP CLOSER AND BROOKBANKS SPEAKS TO NON LEAGUE PAPER!

A competitive end of season tournament to take place if local leagues are declared null and void has moved a step closer with a management Commitee now in place and Fa permission being sought for the go ahead if government restrictions are lifted and in particular if supporters are to be allowed in.

The tournament is the Brain child of Carlton Town manager Tommy Brookbanks who stoked up the interest by contacting local clubs off his own back to gauge any interest.

Interest was overwhelming and Brookbanks (pictured) told the Non League Paper reporter Tom Scott that “I have tried to keep the lads positive for the last few months, you keep thinking it’s going to change and then lockdown comes” “We have been doing the Zoom sessions, but it’s not the same and mentally not playing and training is draining the lads and when the announcement came that null and void was a possibility, I dropped most of the managers I know in Nottingham a message about playing a round -Robin tournament”

“It’s only an idea because we could actually end up playing our remaining league games. Friendlies are no good, we have played enough of those in the last few months and they end up being meaningless. We need something with a competitive edge, that’s why I thought something like a tournament would be good”  “Nottingham is a hot bed of football, even if does not end up happening, I’ve had a positive response from 16 managers so it’s something to look forward to and keep us going in the meantime while everything is sorted out”

” Our Chairman and some other people are working behind the scenes now, initially I put out the idea and within an hour, almost all of them had come back and said it was a great idea, we put it out on social media and it’s snowballed from there” concluded Brookbanks.

Brookbanks Chairman at Carlton Mick Garton has agreed to become vice Chairman for the tournament with Dick Durant taking up the Chairman’s role with highly respected NSL officials Chris Cliff (fixtures), Darrell Parkes (Referees) and Tracie Witton acting as as an advisor to the tournament in her role as an Fa Council member.

The plan is for two leagues of 8 if the 16 teams make a formal commitment in the coming days with Dick sending out correspondence this week. Teams will play each other home and away and seeding will ensure the leagues are of similar strength and if time restraints allow, there will be quarter finals, semi finals and a final.The plan is if leagues are declared null and void to play in March, April and May but the competition will be scaled back if circumstances dictate.

Admission to all games will be £5 Adults, £3 Concessions and £1 Children.

Today we have been able to report on a few of the plans that have been put in place and work will continue to go on behind the scenes in the coming weeks to hopefully make this become a reality if the need arises, for the benefit of players, spectators, match officials and clubs.

18/1/2021 10:47 AM  #5

Looks like the Lincolnshire League are planning something similar to the Brookbanks proposal following Null & Void declaration 

The Lincolnshire Football League (Step 7) has been made null & void. It's the 2nd league at that level to be scrapped after the West Lancashire League made the same decision. County FA’s are liaising with all Regional Feeder Leagues (Step 7) about how to conclude their seasons.  

19/1/2021 10:26 AM  #6

I have spoken to a few fans and other people about this idea and all have said what a great idea it is.But oine point was said to me was that , if the tournament goes ahead if the clubhouses would be open ?
The teams who have shown interest has been interesting because the two leagues will be filled with teams from different tiers, about half i havent been to .
 I personally am for the leagues to be null and void and  i think resuming  or restarting  just doesnt seem right to me . The stop start doesnt appeal to me guys but thats only my opinion i would sooner start a new season from next August . Many clubs and fans will differ to what i think but for me ........null and void

Last edited by kevilsonlad (19/1/2021 10:29 AM)

19/1/2021 12:05 PM  #7

Think everything will depend on how safe fans feel it is to go back in a football ground. We may find that progress in getting back to nearly normal is slower than we expected and we just cancel everything and plan to start again in August. On the other hand it is good for everybody's mental well being to be positive and plan for the time we may be able to watch football again whenever that may be. As a parallel after the Second World War when football had been  suspended fans were desperate to watch any type of competitive game and the crowds went through the roof and it helped people get their lives back together again fostering a massive feel good factor. Even I have missed the characters behind the goal and in the stand and can't wait to be rolling my eyes at their antics. Its what non league is all about and I love it!

19/1/2021 12:49 PM  #8

"Even the characters behind the goal " what do you mean sir ? Lol
But going back to what you said about mental health and moral, I agree ...fans will want to go hopefully with families....

20/1/2021 1:27 PM  #9

Carlton Town FC[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/CTFC1904]@CTFC1904

Re potential local football tournament ! A lot more ground work being done this coming week! Hopefull we can announce teams that have committed to take part next weekend and give out more information

20/1/2021 1:49 PM  #10

WhiteBallProject wrote:

Think everything will depend on how safe fans feel it is to go back in a football ground. We may find that progress in getting back to nearly normal is slower than we expected and we just cancel everything and plan to start again in August. On the other hand it is good for everybody's mental well being to be positive and plan for the time we may be able to watch football again whenever that may be. As a parallel after the Second World War when football had been  suspended fans were desperate to watch any type of competitive game and the crowds went through the roof and it helped people get their lives back together again fostering a massive feel good factor. Even I have missed the characters behind the goal and in the stand and can't wait to be rolling my eyes at their antics. Its what non league is all about and I love it!

If I wrote a full tribute to every "character" behind the goal over the years I would still be typing after Covid virus has been long forgotten about. Its the "characters" that makes Ilkeston Town what it is. It is the characters that makes players want to sign for Ilkeston Town and I do believe its the characters that make wealthy people want to give up their own money to develop football at the NMG! 
Yes Kev! You are one of those characters but I don't recall rolling my eyes at your antics for at least five years since Ilkeston FC's last game at Ashton. It was an emotional day for all of us that day so don't ever change Kev!

20/1/2021 6:17 PM  #11

Every one of us is a character in the eyes of others

24/1/2021 10:47 AM  #12

Carlton Town Chairman Mick Garton :  

”..........If i am totally honest, I think our season will be null and voided and I hope if that is the case, we can at least fit the tournament in that Tommy suggested, it really has legs and the interest has been amazing”
 “I think it is unlikely we will be able to play in March, but this is only my opinion, if not and we can get started at Easter, we have a real chance of making this happen.  We have this week received preliminary backing from the Notts Fa for the tournament and while it is still early days, a number of teams have made a firm commitment this week and Dick Durant should be in a position in the coming days to allow us to be able to announce the 16 teams”
 “If it is to become a reality then it would obviously be nice to get a sponsor and ramp things up, but we are obviously aware at this stage that it is only a plan rather than something that will definitely happen”

Last edited by Matchman (24/1/2021 10:51 AM)

24/1/2021 9:06 PM  #13

WhiteBallProject wrote:

WhiteBallProject wrote:

If I wrote a full tribute to every "character" behind the goal over the years I would still be typing after Covid virus has been long forgotten about. Its the "characters" that makes Ilkeston Town what it is. It is the characters that makes players want to sign for Ilkeston Town and I do believe its the characters that make wealthy people want to give up their own money to develop football at the NMG! 
Yes Kev! You are one of those characters but I don't recall rolling my eyes at your antics for at least five years since Ilkeston FC's last game at Ashton. It was an emotional day for all of us that day so don't ever change Kev!

yeah remember that day ......not good

24/1/2021 9:09 PM  #14

Matchman wrote:

Carlton Town Chairman Mick Garton :  

”..........If i am totally honest, I think our season will be null and voided and I hope if that is the case, we can at least fit the tournament in that Tommy suggested, it really has legs and the interest has been amazing”
 “I think it is unlikely we will be able to play in March, but this is only my opinion, if not and we can get started at Easter, we have a real chance of making this happen.  We have this week received preliminary backing from the Notts Fa for the tournament and while it is still early days, a number of teams have made a firm commitment this week and Dick Durant should be in a position in the coming days to allow us to be able to announce the 16 teams”
 “If it is to become a reality then it would obviously be nice to get a sponsor and ramp things up, but we are obviously aware at this stage that it is only a plan rather than something that will definitely happen”

looking good organisation wise but of course it all depends on this bloody virus ........
But there is talk of the pubs not opening until July apparently so would this mean no clubhouses opening ?

01/2/2021 8:30 AM  #15

On Tuesday 2nd February it's been13 long weeks since our last match against Leek Town at the NMG. 
With no chance of a re-start for at least another 5 weeks, it's looking more and more likely that the Northern Premier League season will be declared null and void, the same as last season. Non-League football has little chance of returning until vaccinations bring the coronavirus under control and infections, hospital admissions and death rates fall massively.

It shouldn't be long before the NPL publish the results of their recent survey of what clubs want to do but In my opinion the chances of the Northern Premier League playing a reduced fixture competition to decide promotion and relegation are slim. So the only chance of seeing more football before the start of 2021-22 season is through the Tommy Brookbanks proposal which requires FA permission. We can only hope that we get some positive news on this soon.

The 2020-21 season looks like ending with Ilkeston having played just 7 league games out of 38.

Here are all of this season’s results in all competitions (P13, W9, D1, L3).

​We were undefeated in our first 9 matches 

12.09.20   Ilkeston Town          3   Shepshed Dynamo  0    FACup
19.09,20   Cleethorpes Town   2    Ilkeston Town          3    NPL
22.09.20   Coventry Sphinx     0    Ilkeston Town          2     FACup  
29.09.20   Ilkeston Town          2    Stamford                 2     NPL
03.10.20   Ilkeston Town          4    Hanley Town           1     FACup
06.10.20   Spalding United      1    Ilkeston Town          2     NPL
10.10 20   Market Drayton       1    Ilkeston Town          5     NPL
13.10.20   Ilkeston Town          1    Alvechurch              0     FACup
17.10.20   Ilkeston Town          2    Kempston Rovers   1     FATrophy  

Then we suffered 3 defeats in the next 4 matches

20.10.20   Newcastle Town      4   Ilkeston Town            1     NPL
24.10.20   Ilkeston Town          0    Hartlepool United     6     FACup
27,10.20   Ilkeston Town          2    Chasetown               1     NPL
03.11.20   Ilkeston Town          2    Leek Town                3     NPL   

01/2/2021 5:12 PM  #16

On a points per game basis its a pity we did not lockdown earlier! Also Boris may have helped save some lives as well!!

07/2/2021 8:55 AM  #17

Not heard anything about the Tommy Brookbanks planned tournament for a while but this appeared in the Gedling Eye on 5th Feb.

Carlton Town manager Tommy Brookbanks plans tournament to give Notts clubs a lift after lockdown  

The manager of Carlton Town FC hopes his end of season tournament idea will provide a boost for Nottingham football clubs. Tommy Brookbanks believes that the event can offer a financial and mental lift to lower league teams who need it now more than ever. His tournament plan would see a number of Notts teams form two competitive leagues and play each other during the spring.

The competition will look to go ahead only if the season is null and voided, which now looks increasingly likely. Sixteen clubs have confirmed they are in favour of the tournament so long as fans can attend. The national lockdown has meant that sides like Carlton Town FC have struggled without competitive football.  

Brookbanks, 55, spoke about the effect that the pandemic has had on lower league football; he said: “Financially Nottingham clubs have suffered badly, and this would help the clubs massively. “It’s looking highly likely that this season is gone, and I think we then just have to focus on a proper restart in August. 

“We need to wait on the tiered system to see where we are because we can’t play a tournament again without crowds, we need the crowds to help the club. “We just need to get over these next few months.” 

As well as the financial aspect, Brookbanks spoke about the consequences that a lack of football has been having on his players mental health.  “The mental health aspect is more important than the financial aspect. “You can lose money but when you start losing your health as well then it does become serious.  

“Some lads are still living at home with their parents and football was an outlet for them, and now it’s no longer there. “Some are coming to the end of their careers which is massive, some are just starting out and it’s hard for them. The big thing has been keeping them positive – trying to get them something to look forward to.” 

The tournament has been planned to take place in March, April and May. 

Last edited by Matchman (07/2/2021 8:59 AM)

07/2/2021 12:29 PM  #18

Plus by the looks if it no alcohol to be sold as pubs might open in April but as a  take away basis only but might open fully in May . Thats a lot of revenue the clubs wont get if the tournament goes ahead .........
No beer at a match will really P-ss alot of fans off . Personally if will be a big blow but wont put  me off going to the games ....

08/2/2021 10:02 AM  #19

Forgot to say is that another reason i really want this to go ahead is i have actually watched a few games of the premiership { Which is really a last ditch thing for me to watch this by the way } but it is torture for me. Yes there is some good football but yet time and time again you the cheating going off all the time. As a lot of guys out there are aware that i do rant about this . These players are on multi THOUSANDS of pounds and it comes down to cheating ......... So you can see i need my non league football fix , but i here say "well theres cheating in non league football" yes your right but the players arent being paid bloody stupid money to do this . 

08/2/2021 10:35 AM  #20

Cheating/Gamesmanship has always gone on in the game but today there is little attempt to hide it by the players. It is almost that it is part of the game and players are accepting that they cannot win by skill alone and they have an extra edge which could be described as being professional. I always thought VAR might get rid of blatant cheating but in some it has made it worse and the diving players have got cleverer. Nearly every good striker needs to know how to win  penalty. My favourite player Salah is an expert at it and so is Mane, Sterling and Kane. And Grealish appears to get flattened if a defender gets within a yard of him. He appears to throw himself at players and on to the ground. Oh for the days when Kenny Burns would put the ball and the player over the touch line and then call the ref a cheat if he gave a free kick!
However if you think the cheating is bad in our game I watched the South American Cup Final between Santos and Palmieres and there was twenty minutes added time for players who went down almost every time they got the ball. The commentators said that both teams where playing for penalties but deep into added Palmieres scored after a huge long ball was headed home. The local experts seem to saying that teams did not try to win a game until the last ten minutes!!

08/2/2021 2:10 PM  #21

WhiteBallProject wrote:

Cheating/Gamesmanship has always gone on in the game but today there is little attempt to hide it by the players. It is almost that it is part of the game and players are accepting that they cannot win by skill alone and they have an extra edge which could be described as being professional. I always thought VAR might get rid of blatant cheating but in some it has made it worse and the diving players have got cleverer. Nearly every good striker needs to know how to win  penalty. My favourite player Salah is an expert at it and so is Mane, Sterling and Kane. And Grealish appears to get flattened if a defender gets within a yard of him. He appears to throw himself at players and on to the ground. Oh for the days when Kenny Burns would put the ball and the player over the touch line and then call the ref a cheat if he gave a free kick!
However if you think the cheating is bad in our game I watched the South American Cup Final between Santos and Palmieres and there was twenty minutes added time for players who went down almost every time they got the ball. The commentators said that both teams where playing for penalties but deep into added Palmieres scored after a huge long ball was headed home. The local experts seem to saying that teams did not try to win a game until the last ten minutes!!

Its just really does my head in as these players are getting stupidly HIGH wages to cheat at their work place . Bloody ell any normal worker cheating at the workplace would get a verbal, written warning or even the sack , these players just collect their tens /hundreds of thousands pounds with no remorse what`s so ever . Makes my blood boil. 

08/2/2021 4:32 PM  #22

To try and be fair its the fans fault in the end because they encourage their clubs to get the best players and therefore the best paid players. It would be great if the fans said we are not supporting your teams until the players stop cheating. Unlike normal workers though players cheat to ensure their team is successful and most workers who cheat do so because they are stealing off their employers or are trying to avoid work. I think it would be rare for a worker to cheat to make their company and employers more successful!
Some of the cheating in football is now so obvious that it ought to be easier to stamp it out. I have always felt the if a player is injured by a tackle that he needs a trainer on he must leave the field and be given at least ten minutes to recover. That would soon weed out the play actors!

08/2/2021 4:49 PM  #23

Tournament Update   -   7th Feb

CARLTON SECURE SPONSOR FOR PROPOSED TOURNAMENT AS CITY COURIERS STEP UP TO THE PLATE

Joint Carlton Town Manager Tommy Brookbanks and Chairman Mick Garton are delighted to comfirm that they have secured a sponsor for the proposed end of season tournament if their league season gets curtailed as looks highly likely.

Tommy Brookbanks whose idea it was to hold such a tournament made initial contact with a potential sponsor and after extensive talks this week, Carlton Chairman Mick Garton who is also Vice Chairman of the proposed tournament can comfirm that an outline deal as been agreed with “City Couriers Direct Ltd”

Garton told us” Obviously the tournament remains very much a hope rather than a reality at the moment, as we still don’t know what is happening with the Non League football season or when Boris will ease lockdown” ” I can comfirm a lot of work is going on behind the scenes, both in setting up media coverage and coming up with different senarios depending on different potential start dates”

“If the tournament is to go ahead, it will be in the name of City Couriers Direct who have shown their commitment by putting down a deposit to secure sponsorship for what they believe is a fantastic idea”.  

“They had some key requirements in terms of getting involved around the media side of it and have insisted there will be a presentation night at Carlton Town on a date soon after the tournament ends when they will present trophies to the player of the tournament from each club whom have entered and hopefully prize money along with medals for the winners and runners up, once we know the tournament is a reality, we will firm up the details at a steering meeting” continued Garton.

Chairman of the proposed tournament Dick Durrant was delighted with the news and told us ” Hopefully that will benefit the chosen Charity as well, as we can direct the £50 entry fees in that direction if we managed to get everything covered”  “Most clubs who have committed have paid their entry fees and I stress that if the tournament can not go ahead, monies will be refunded, but we now have to put down a deadline of 6pm on Tuesday night for teams to pay their £50 fee, if they have not done so, we will go to our reserve list of clubs wanting to take part who unfortunately got in touch after the 16 places had gone” comfirmed Durrant.

On the back of that, this website understands the 16 teams will be comfirmed this coming week and finally we asked for a statement from the sponsors City Couriers Direct whom Garton and Durrant are both looking forward to working closely with.

Spokesman Thomas Claypole told us “we are proud to be associated with the new football tournament aimed at supporting local clubs who will hopefully be able to play in a competitive environment in these trying times”  “Our thanks to Mick Garton and the leagues organising committee for accepting our offer to be the tournaments main sponsor and we look forward to becoming an active and supportive partner of the “City Couriers Direct Football Tournament”

“City Couriers Direct Ltd are a locally based national courier offering logistics solutions to a variety of major UK suppliers. As the partner of choice to many of the UK’s same day or multi drop delivery specialists, we also offer pick and pack ecommerrce and warehousing solutions to the UK logistics industry, please contact us on 01246 541937 or e mail us at citycouriersdirectltd@outlook.com” said a delighted and excited Claypole who is really hoping the tournament gets the green light. 

Last edited by Matchman (09/2/2021 9:53 AM)

08/2/2021 5:05 PM  #24

great to have a sponsor ...... Please let this happen pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

14/2/2021 9:10 AM  #25

FEBRUARY 13, 2021

CARLTON ANNOUNCE THE 16 TEAMS ACCEPTED FOR THE PROPOSED CITY COURIERS FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT.

Carlton Town have this evening revealed the 16 teams set to take place in a football tournament if the season is curtailed due to the pandemic, but if restrictions are lifted to enable football to be played and spectators are allowed in, the proposed tournament, the brain child of joint Carlton Town Manager Tommy Brookbanks (pictured) is set to take place, hopefully in April and May with speculation growing that some restrictions will be lifted at around Easter.

With massive falls in the infection rate in recent days and nearly 15 Million people vaccinated now, the local football family including players, supporters and even match officials are hoping they can finally come out of lockdown.

The proposed tournament received a massive boost last week when City Couriers were secured as sponsors by Brookbanks and Carlton Chairman Mick Garton who is Vice Chairman of the new tournament.Chairman of the proposed tournament Dick Durrant as been working hard behind the scenes this week to finalise the 16 teams who will be seeded to determine two equally balanced leagues.

Whether it becomes two groups of 8 or 4 leagues of 4 will depend on and if and when restrictions are lifted and the organisation Commitee have different models in mind depending on the all important time factor.

Admission for all games will be £5 Adults, £3 concessions and £1 for Children and the final and a proposed separate presentation hosted by the sponsors will take place at Carlton Town.

Brookbanks has done the press rounds speaking to both the non league paper and Gedling Eye about the new tournament and this website understands, more press is being lined up should the tournament get the go ahead., he believes that it will give everyone involved with local football a much needed boost, in particular with many people suffering with mental health problems after spending months in lockdown.

To comfirm our social media post the 16 teams involved are as follows.

Carlton Town,
Basford United,
lkeston Town,
Gresley Rovers,
Dunkirk Fc,
Rainworth MW,
Gedling MW,
Eastwood CFC,
Hucknall Town,
Radford Fc,
Southwell City,
Clipstone Fc,
Linby Colliery Fc,
Kimberley MW,
Awsworth Villa Fc,
Blidworth Welfare Fc.

Further details are expected to follow after Boris Johnson announcement towards the end of February and following subsequent league decisions, but at least supporters can now see there is meat on the bone and it will be all systems go if it gets the go ahead.

WATCH THIS SPACE!

14/2/2021 12:59 PM  #26

City Couriers Direct Football Tournament

It was suggested that there would be seeding of teams into the two or four divisions.
This is my attempt at ranking the strongest teams according to leagues and current positions. The four highest ranked teams in my opinion are Basford, Ilkeston. Carlton and Gresley

Team                Step     League                                        Current
                                                                                              league
                                                                                              position 

1  Basford              3       NPL Premier Division                      2nd
  2  Ilkeston              4       NPL South East Div                        10th  
  3  Carlton               4       NPL South East Div                        11th
  4  Gresley              5       Midand League Premier Div             7th          

5  Eastwood           6      East Midlands Counties League       4th
  6  Rainworth           6      East Midlands Counties League       6th
  7  Hucknall             6      East Midlands Counties League        7th
  8  Kimberley           6      East Midlands Counties League        8th
  9  Clipstone            6      East Midlands Counties League        9th
 10 Dunkirk               6      East Midlands Counties League       11th
 11 Gedling               6      East Midlands Counties League       14th
 12 Radford              6       East Midlands Counties League      20th
 13 Blidworth                     Central Midlands League South        1st
 14 Linby                           Central Midlands League South        7th
 15 Southwell                    Notts Senior League                          7th
 16 Awsworth                    Notts senior League                          15th

15/2/2021 4:19 PM  #27

do you think we will have a mix of the first team and under 23`s ? 

16/2/2021 11:11 AM  #28

Really hope this tournament gets the go-ahead.

A small problem with this competition is that there appears to be a massive difference in quality between some of the teams. Basford, Ilkeston and Carlton look certain to be in the final four with Gresley the most likely other.  

I know nothing about the competition rules but the following may be a way of making the competing teams more evenly matched :

This is a possible solution:
Make it a rule that the highest ranked four clubs to include a set number of players aged under 23 when playing against the twelve lower ranked clubs.

Maybe :
Basford to include at least four players aged under 23,
Ilkeston and Carlton to include at least three players under 23
Gresley to include at least two players aged under 23 .

When the top four ranked teams play against each other, they can play their best teams

It should be a great competition for the twelve more evenly matched teams to try to finish as a top four team. 

If time allows I think two divisions of eight would be better than four divisions of four as it gives the lower ranked clubs more games against each other.

Regardless of how well they do, some of the lower ranked teams will benefit from a home game against Ilkeston with a boost to their gate and refreshment takings.

16/2/2021 12:07 PM  #29

Matchman wrote:

Really hope this tournament gets the go-ahead.

A small problem with this competition is that there appears to be a massive difference in quality between some of the teams. Basford, Ilkeston and Carlton look certain to be in the final four with Gresley the most likely other.  

I know nothing about the competition rules but the following may be a way of making the competing teams more evenly matched :

This is a possible solution:
Make it a rule that the highest ranked four clubs to include a set number of players aged under 23 when playing against the twelve lower ranked clubs.

Maybe :
Basford to include at least four players aged under 23,
Ilkeston and Carlton to include at least three players under 23
Gresley to include at least two players aged under 23 .

When the top four ranked teams play against each other, they can play their best teams

It should be a great competition for the twelve more evenly matched teams to try to finish as a top four team. 

If time allows I think two divisions of eight would be better than four divisions of four as it gives the lower ranked clubs more games against each other.

Regardless of how well they do, some of the lower ranked teams will benefit from a home game against Ilkeston with a boost to their gate and refreshment takings.

I like the idea of two X eight leagues . No doubt the teams like Basford , Carlton , us and Gresley will put out u23 when they can.
I just hope the Ilson fans can travel on a coach as I know plenty don't drive . And I suspect you can't car share ?
Again no doubt will find out next week

20/2/2021 9:49 AM  #30

Feb 19, 2021

16 teams from across Nottinghamshire have signed up to take part in an end of season tournament being planned by Carlton Town manager Tommy Brookbanks to help give local sides a lift after lockdown.
Mr Brookbanks believes that the event can offer a financial and mental lift to lower league teams ‘who need it now more than ever’. His tournament plan would see a number of Notts teams form two competitive leagues and play each other during the spring.

The following teams have confirmed they would take part in the tournament if plans get the go ahead…

Carlton Town
Basford United 
Ilkeston Town
Gresley Rovers
Dunkirk FC, 
Rainworth MW, 
Gedling MW, 
Eastwood CFC, 
Hucknall Town, 
Radford Fc, 
Southwell City, 
Clipstone FC, 
Linby Colliery FC, 
Kimberley MW, 
Awsworth Villa FC, 
Blidworth Welfare FC.

Chairman of the proposed tournament, Dick Durrant has been working hard with Tommy to finalise the 16 teams who will be seeded to determine two equally balanced leagues.

Last edited by Matchman (20/2/2021 9:57 AM)

Board footera