WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31/1/2021 11:11 AM  #1

Players Keeping Fit

WORKSOP TOWN

TRUSTING THE SQUAD
29 January 2021

Luke Jeffs says that the management team have instilled their trust in the squad to maintain their fitness whatever the conclusion of the season will be. Many questions remain on whether the season will be declared null and void or if there will be a rather unlikely completion to the current campaign. Jeffs, who — alongside Mark Whitehouse — focuses on the team’s preparation and fitness, says that Worksop have planned out the potential scenarios on the season’s ending, but have full faith in the team to maintain their fitness over the vacant months.

“You have to put a certain amount of trust in players in keeping themselves ticking over and keeping a good general amount of fitness, but I don’t think that will be a problem with our lads: we have a lot of trust in them to make sure they’re looking after themselves,” said Jeffs.

“It is about keeping everybody positive. As a management team, we probably speak to each other every day about different scenarios and keep touching base with the guys to let them know what is happening. We have scenarios planned out should we get the go-ahead or should the season be null and void.

“I don’t think that we have any concerns that people will come back and they won’t be fit – [although] they’ll be rusty because there’ll have been no football played.

“We have to look forward to when we can play again, and I am sure that everyone will be ready and raring to go when we get the nod to start again.

“The gaffer made it crystal clear that, when we had the inkling that this could happen, he was going to put in a lot of trust into the players to make sure they keep on top of their fitness and that they are ready to go when we come back in.

“He made it clear that we wouldn’t be doing another pre-season as such, so the lads need to be ready and we need to be straight into games and that is kind of the way we look at things.

“You have to put your trust into the players or else you wouldn’t have them at the club, and we trust everybody who is in that squad, not just those in the starting 11, but everyone that we trust to keep on top of their fitness, and I have no doubt that they will.

“We do check in and make sure that people are okay and are on top of things, but trust is a big thing in football, and the manager and everyone in the team trusts everybody in that squad without question.”

Motivation towards football may take a big hit during this period and going forward, especially if we see yet another expunged campaign.

Jeffs praised the players' attitudes towards the club and believes it is going to be a tough period for everyone.

“It is going to be a little bit strange depending on when it starts, but in terms of the players and their attitudes – as a team, we have known quite a lot of these players for quite a long time now – they all have brilliant attitudes and if they didn’t then they wouldn’t be here,” he continued.

“They accept that their attitude has to be on point and some of the retained lads and some of the lads that we have brought in have just fitted straight into that mentality that your attitude has to be spot on. You must work hard because you are representing Worksop and that is just a given.

“When we do go back and get the green light, I can just see the lads slipping straight back into where they were, which is a good group of players that get on well, work hard for each other, and want to win, and that mirrors what our ethos is as well.

“I think, mentally, it is testing for everyone, whether you are involved in football or not and especially if you are a player, a supporter or a volunteer its part of your routine in life.

“Whether you are working in the week and football is your outlet, whether that be training or watching, it is tough not to have it there – it is a strain mentally.

“You just have to stay positive and just do what you can to keep yourself ticking over, whether that be taking up other things like going for a run or a walk, you just have to stay as mentally sound as you can,

“I think when we do come back, it is going to be challenging mentally but we need to make sure everyone associated with the club is keen to come back in and I am sure it will be a big relief and boost mentally.” 

Last edited by Matchman (06/2/2021 9:11 AM)

05/2/2021 10:07 AM  #2

Re: Players Keeping Fit

Billy Bennett commenting on a Danny South (Belper Town) tweet

Danny South
Feb 3   tell you something. I miss football massively and I’m struggling to find motivation at minute to do any kind of exercise I keep saying I’m gonna start but just haven’t. Any tips or what?

Billy Bennett[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/billybennett94]@billybennett94 
This is me! with no idea when the football season is coming back my motivation has gone! Long walks with the dog is doing it for me  

06/2/2021 9:09 AM  #3

Ex Ilkeston - CURTIS BURROWS

BURROWS: WE WANT TO BE AS READY AS WE CAN  BY KIERAN KING
1 DAY AGO

Burrows is hoping that they can return to competitive action as soon as it’s safe to do so

Loughborough Dynamo midfielder Curtis Burrows believes the uncertainty of not knowing when The Moes will return to football has made it hard to stay motivated during lockdown.

It’s been just over three months since Dynamo were last in competitive action and although Burrows has been keeping himself fit, he admits that if there was a set date then it would make preparation a whole lot easier.

“It has been very tough,” the 24-year-old said. “I think the hardest thing is that there is no definite return date or any time to aim towards. If it was a schedule where you have four weeks to get fit, you can put a proper plan in place and you go for it. “For me, at this stage it’s just about ticking over, keeping myself at a general baseline fitness so when that day does come I can up the tempo and get myself match fit. For now, it’s just about doing bits and bobs when you can."

Burrows has netted seven goals in 10 starts so far this season which helped Loughborough to sit in second in the league and the midfielder says it adds to the frustrating knowing the form and position his side were in before non-league was halted.

He continued: “I have been thinking about the start to the season a lot. On a personal note, I had a good start. I was scoring goals and for it to look like it’s all going to be taken away is difficult to take. So, hopefully that’s not the case and we can carry on so that it isn’t all for nothing. “Training two times a week and playing once when you’ve got a great squad and to have that taken away from you makes it difficult.“ Especially because of the run that we was on and it was all very positive. Hopefully, it’s not all a waste and when it does restart, we can carry on with the current season.” 

06/2/2021 5:02 PM  #4

it must hurt more as a player if you have started well and scoring ....

Board footera