WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/3/2021 9:37 AM  #1

Memories of a Dynamo fan

FANS COLUMN #1 - STEFAN H

BY KIERAN KING
28 FEBRUARY

As part of our new series, Dynamo fan Stefan penned the first column, looking at his favourite ever game

Hello! I’ve been asked to talk about my favourite ever Dynamo game, but first, let me briefly introduce myself. Like many other fans that come late to Non-League, I was disillusioned by top flight football. The unrelatable wealth, Sky Sports, the corporate culture and the growing separation of fans from their clubs. I went looking for an alternative, which I’m pleased to say, I found in Dynamo! In January 2019, I was looking into local clubs and spotted them. Home results were going well; mostly victories and high scoring games. As a long-suffering Middlesbrough fan, the concept of more than one goal in a game was unheard of, so I dragged my mate along to a game and promised him it would be a win. We lost to Wisbech 3-1, but we caught the bug! 

Thinking of what my favourite Dynamo game has been, it has to be Carlton vs Dynamo, in February 2020. While we were in good home form, we had struggled away and so it was a nervous trip to a team in the playoff positions. It was also the coldest game I’ve been to in my time following Dynamo – an evening kick-off and there were rumours that the game might get called off, but it went ahead despite the frozen pitch. What a game it turned out to be; Dynamo scored a penalty on the stroke of half time, and doubled our lead minutes after kicking off in the second half. Carlton pulled it back to 2-2 with 20 minutes to go, only for Dynamo to snatch victory in the final seconds after a sublime cross from Danny Gordon was met by Karl Demidh – a 3-2 away victory for the Moes! 

The reason the game sits so happily in my memory isn’t from the goals and result alone; there were nine yellow cards (mostly from Dynamo) and one red (also Dynamo). Usually, I would agree that reads as a severe lack of discipline, but the frozen pitch making it difficult to time a tackle or execute it cleanly, and two teams absolutely determined to win, made it inevitable. It was a battle and what a game it made. 

Becoming a Dynamo fan has been fantastic. The inclusive, community feel of the club, its players/staff and fans are what makes it so great, for me. I can’t wait to get back to the games when the world opens up again and proper football returns! Hopefully it won’t be long! - Stefan 

*************************************

Stefan, like many supporters of Non-League teams, is a football fan who became disillusioned with and priced out of top flight football. Non-League football is a whole new experience where supporters are valued and feel part of the club they follow. To anyone wanting to enjoy their football more, get involved, and support your local club. 

Last edited by Matchman (11/3/2021 11:16 AM)

12/3/2021 6:37 PM  #2

Re: Memories of a Dynamo fan

FANS COLUMN #2 - RICHARD SILLETT
BY KIERAN KING
3 MARCH

In part two of our series, Dynamo fan Richard Sillett looked back at his favourite ever Moes game...

Why do we watch football? The sinking feeling of a last minute equaliser? The frustration of your centre forward being offside yet again? The 8th cross of the afternoon feebly drifting out for a goal kick? 

No, we watch it for entertainment and specifically goals and preferably goals for the team we’ve come to support. As a lifetime supporter of a Premier League club I was also looking for something else when I came down to the ADT and that was a sense of belonging and a feeling that my hard earned cash and presence actually mattered to the club I was watching. In my two years of watching Loughborough Dynamo I have enjoyed all of this and more.
Since my friend first persuaded me to join him at a Dynamo game in January 2019 I’ve seen plenty of high scoring, entertaining games. A 4-4, a 7-0, a 3-2. In fact, I’ve only seen Dynamo fail to score once in nearly 30 games attended. So, despite all that, it might come as a surprise that one of my favourite games was the 1-0 home win over Frickley Athletic on a freezing cold (isn’t it always) January afternoon in 2020.

Dynamo came into the game in 14th and with only pride to play for. Frickley were in a playoff position and had already beaten us 3-0 earlier in the season. They’d also won their previous two matches. On paper it looked a tough game for Dynamo despite our excellent home form but it turned out to be one of the best performances I’ve seen to date.

Granted, Frickley were reduced to 10 men early on (an incident I missed due to the alure of my chips) but it definitely explained the dominant performance of the first half. Slick passing and possession-based football deserved at least one goal but at half time we were goalless.

The second half continued as the first. Chance after chance came and went until finally the hard working Steadman was fouled in the box and the ever reliable Burrows (does he ever miss?) powered home the resulting penalty. There really is nothing better than getting what you deserve from a game and the final whistle brought that relief after a nervous final ten minutes where Dynamo were also reduced to ten men. Frickley tried to come back but defensively Dynamo were superb yet again at home.

All in all this game sums up my Dynamo experience perfectly. Many people assume non-league football is all about lumping long balls up to a huge striker but it couldn’t be further from that. Lee Attenborough has got this team playing some really entertaining football that deserves higher attendences. Dynamo were in 2nd when this season was sadly ended and that was no fluke. 
I look forward to the 2021/22 season and cannot wait to get back. 

Last edited by Matchman (12/3/2021 6:41 PM)

Board footera