WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28/4/2021 4:36 PM  #1

Worksop Town are back in action

POSSESSION KEY IN WIN OVER GOOLE

28 April 2021

Manager Craig Parry praised his side’s possession work as Worksop Town began pre-season with a professional 2-0 win over Goole AFC at Sandy Lane.A goal in each half gave the Tigers a comprehensive victory on an extremely wet and windy evening in North Nottinghamshire.Parry stated that he was happy with how his side conducted themselves during their first taste of 90 minutes since December.

“I thought in the first half we looked good in a new shape and I thought we controlled the ball well,” said Parry.

“I think in terms of looking after the ball and moving it, we were quite good. But we probably just need to get used to a couple of more patterns of play and execute them a little bit more cleanly in the final third; however, actually getting to the final third, I thought we did it well and it was good on that base.

“Second half, [there was] a couple of tired legs in there and I think sometimes we got frustrated at times rather than being patient and moving the ball quicker.

“I thought Connor [Smythe] and Aaron [Sennett-Neilson] were brilliant from a width point of view, getting up and down the flanks.

“I also thought Aleks [Starcenko] and Cody [Cromack] dominated the ball well, so I think from that point of view I was pleased.

“I just feel like when we do get into the final third, we just need to be a little more clever and we need to make sure the ‘left arm knows what the right arm is doing’ kind of thing and that comes with time.

“The conditions were wet and rainy and – I have got to admit – we were 20 minutes or so into the first half and Jeffsy [Luke Jeffs] and I both looked at each other and said that the guys were bopping it about well and showed great balance, and you could see with our back three that it is good, and it is competitive.

“We are happy with what we saw; we slicked it around and I am happy overall.”

Worksop next face Parkgate FC at home on Saturday 1 May in their second behind-closed-door friendly ahead of the 2021/22 campaign.

Parry hailed the player’s camaraderie in the short time that they have all been together this year.  

“Getting minutes into the lad’s legs has been – and is – the most important thing for us at this moment and getting used to how we’re going to play and being together,” he continued.

“I have to admit – being together today – it was a good attitude up there [in the changing room] and everyone has shown good spirits; there are no bad eggs and there are good, good people in there.

“It has been a good start and now it is about getting them back together; not just in terms of minutes on the pitch, but us being back together and building a team and building that team spirit and getting ourselves ready to kick on.”

Words: Devon Cash

Board footera