WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01/8/2021 9:17 PM  #1

Coalville Town Kick Off

According to the Coalville Town twitter feed and The Non League Paper next weeks home game against Coalville Town is a 1pm kick off.

02/8/2021 10:45 AM  #2

Re: Coalville Town Kick Off

I can now confirm that the kick off of the game against Coalville Town is 3pm and not 1pm as reported in The Non League Paper and Coalville Towns twitter feed!

04/8/2021 9:14 AM  #3

About turn.  

Now been told by ITFC officials  that the Coalville kickoff  time is 1pm as originally reported. 

04/8/2021 1:01 PM  #4

Ilkeston’s next pre-season match against Coalville at the NMG next Saturday looks like being their toughest test so far.  

Step 3 Coalville Town were top of the Southern League Premier Central and unbeaten when last season was curtailed: P7  W5  D2  L0  F21  A5   Pts 17. 

The previous curtailled season (2019-20), their record was: P30  W14  D9  L7 F51  A32  Pts 51.

Last edited by Matchman (04/8/2021 9:01 PM)

06/8/2021 8:03 AM  #5

Can we stay unbeaten in pre-season friendlies? Coalville are one of the best teams in Southern League Central Premier so it should give us an indication whether we are ready to play at Step 3.

Tomorrow's early Kickoff is 1pm, Team news as soon as we get it, updates during the match, followed by opinions that matter and match report.

07/8/2021 11:25 AM  #6

No teams yet but Luke Shaw and Joe Doyle are in the Coalville squad.

Coalville team
1 Deeney, 2 Thomas, 3 Taylor, 4 Eggleton, 5 Pierpont,, 6 Doyle-Charles, 7 Shaw, 8 Smith, 9 Kee,10  Berridge, 11 McGlinchey
Subs ; 12 Tomlin, 13 Dean, 14 Pepe, 15 Towers, 16 Asunncao, 17 Jaardine, 18 Trialist.

Ilkeston team
1 Ross Durrant,  Charlie Marzano, 3 Billy Bennett, 4 Charlie Wakefield, 5 Joe Maguire, 6 Kieran Fenton,  7 James Carvell, 8 Seke Spence, 9 Remaye Campbell, 10 Alex Troke, 11 Zak Goodson.
Subs 12 Stern Irvine 13 Rich Stainsby, 14 Rashaan Frances, 15 Ollie Brown-Hillt, 16 Mitchell Tait, 17 Jake Wright,  18 Kole Lambert, 19 Mason Lee, 20 James Reid. 

Last edited by Matchman (07/8/2021 8:16 PM)

07/8/2021 11:59 AM  #7

We're off

07/8/2021 12:06 PM  #8

First shot of the game from Seke Spence but keeper saves. Coalville having most of early possession but without troubling Durrant..      0-0     5 minutes

Last edited by Matchman (07/8/2021 12:07 PM)

07/8/2021 12:12 PM  #9

Good Ilkeston Move involving Marzano and Goodson ends with Carvell going close.       0-0      10 minutes

07/8/2021 12:16 PM  #10

Coalville break down the right and Doyle can't quite connect with the cross. Best Coalville attack so far. 
Penalty to Ilkeston. No complaints from Coalville.  Troke sends keeper wrong way         1-0       14 minutes

Last edited by Matchman (07/8/2021 12:18 PM)

07/8/2021 12:26 PM  #11

Very little urgency from Coalville. Durrant still hasn't had to make a save.  Spence shoots but it drifts wide.     1-0     25 minutes

07/8/2021 12:35 PM  #12

Free kick to Coalville  30 yards out after foul committed by Maguire. Easy save for Durrant.  Coalville have been really disappointing.      1-0     35 minutes

07/8/2021 12:37 PM  #13

Great run by Luke Shaw and King equalises for Coalville.      1-1        37  minutes

07/8/2021 12:44 PM  #14

Coalville have sprung into life and they nearly score again. Maguire and Durrant snuff out the danger between them.  Free kick Coalville on edge of area and central.  Durrant tips the shot over. Really good save. 
Half time    ILKESTON  1  COALVILLE  1

Last edited by Matchman (07/8/2021 12:46 PM)

07/8/2021 12:59 PM  #15

Second half is underway

07/8/2021 1:05 PM  #16

Doyle shot goes inches wide in first minute. Another Coalville free kick in good position. Durrant manger to push it away.   Good start by Coalville.        1-1     50 mniutes

07/8/2021 1:16 PM  #17

Good Ilkeston attack ends with Spence firing over. It's a more open game now. Both sides  playing faster. 
GOAL Coalville  Nice header by Billy Kee.        1-2         60 minutes.

07/8/2021 1:20 PM  #18

Corner to Ilkeston Its a scramble in the goalmouth and James Carvell puts it in      2-2       64 minutes

07/8/2021 1:22 PM  #19

Mitchell Tait on for Marzano. 
Reid on for Spence
Frances on for Carvell.

07/8/2021 1:31 PM  #20

Good possession by Coalville but its mostly in midfield. Troke shot thuds against the post.      2-2    75 mins

irvine and Brown-Hill on  for Bennet and Maguire. 

07/8/2021 1:36 PM  #21

Goodson wins a corner.  Now corner on other side. Brown-Hill shot blocked by defender.  Either side can win it now.         2-2      80 minutes

Last edited by Matchman (07/8/2021 1:36 PM)

07/8/2021 1:44 PM  #22

Wright Lee and Lambert on for last ten minutes.  Lee bursts through but loses control. Chances have dried up         2-2    88 minutes

07/8/2021 1:46 PM  #23

Late corner for Ilkeston.  Keeper collects.   Full time   no time added.

ILKESTON  2  COALVILLE  2

07/8/2021 4:27 PM  #24

Match Report  

Sat 7th August 2021   Pre-season Friendly
ILKESTON TOWN  2 COALVILLE TOWN  2
Ilkeston completed their pre-season schedule unbeaten after drawing with Coalville. The first half lacked pace but both sides upped their game after the interval. Ilkeston nearly went ahead on 10 minutes when a James Carvell effort hit the post following a good move involving Charlie Marzano and Zak Goodson. Five minutes later they did go ahead after Remaye Campbell was brought down in the box and Alex Troke sent Deeney the wrong way. The equaliser came on 36 minutes. Ex-Ilkeston player Luke Shaw made the goal with a brilliant run which Billy Kee finished. The goal lifted Coalville and they finished the half strongly and could  have gone ahead but for a super tip over save by Ross Durrant from a fierce free kick.  The second half started with much more urgency and Joe Doyle was inches wide for the visitors in the opening minute. Coalville took the lead on the hour with a fine header from Kee but Ilkeston levelled four minutes later. It followed a corner which Coalville failed to clear and in the scramble that ensued, Carvell was there to turn the ball in. The result could have gone either way but Ilkeston were closest to a winner when Troke’s free kick thudded against the upright fifteen minutes from time.

Last edited by Matchman (07/8/2021 7:47 PM)

07/8/2021 8:14 PM  #25

Pre Season Friendly
1pm Saturday 7th August 2021 

Ilkeston Town 2 (1)
Troke pen 15’
Carvell 64’

Coalville Town  2 (0)
Kee 36’ 61’

Ilkeston Town Line Up:- Durrant, Marzano, Bennett, Wakefield, Maguire, Fenton ©, Carvell, Spence, Campbell, Troke and Goodson. 
Subs Irvine, Frances, Brown-Hill, Tait, Wright, Lambert, Lee and Reid.Sub not used Stainsby.

Coalville Town Line Up:- Deeney, Thomas, Taylor, Eggleston, Pierpoint, Doyle-Charles, Shaw, Smith, Kee, Berridge and McGlinchey. 
Subs Tomlin, Dean, Pepe, Towers, Assuncao, Jardine and Triallist.

Notes
Coalville Town included Ex-Robin Saul Deeney, Luke Shaw and Jo Doyle-Charles.

Next Game
3pm Saturday 14th August 2021
Stamford away Northern Premier League South East Division

07/8/2021 9:15 PM  #26

We’re no nearer to seeing Martin Carruthers preferred starting XI as he gave all of his squad, with the exceptions of Aman Verma and Jack Rogers, a final opportunity to impress.
The opposition was better than in the previous friendlies so the fact that there were no significant standout performances was maybe not surprising. 
For me Marzano did his chances of getting the number two shirt no harm but I personally prefer Frances or Tait.  Bennett seems safe to get the number three shirt. We then have three central defenders in Maguire, Fenton and Irvine battling for two places. Midfield there’s Wakefield , Verma,  Brown-Hill and Reid.  Up front there’s Troke, Carvell, Goodson and Campbell.   

So in my opinion, the main first XI contenders are : 

Goalkeeper                         Durrant 

No.2 shirt  ;  one from         Frances, Tait,  Marzano   

No.3 shirt                            Bennett 

Defenders  :  two from:       Maguire, Fenton,  Irvine 

Midfield  :     three from:      Wakefield, Verma , Brown-Hill, Reid

Attack  :       three from        Troke, Goodson.  Carvell, Campbell.   

08/8/2021 7:00 AM  #27

Decent performance against a good side

Zeke Spence one for the future too

With Reid suspended I’d go:

Durrant

Francis.           Maguire.        Fenton.       Bennett

Verma.          Wakefield.        Spence

Goodson.          Campbell.         Troke

If all are available - for me the only variables are either Carvell Rogers or OBH instead of Spence and Marzano instead of Francis. Marzano of course could play in midfield too. He’s had a really good pre season

3 at the back would Irvine in with the third midfielder dropping out. But 4 at the back has worked better IMO

Loads of really good options though. Mason Lee always does well when he comes on too but the quality of the front 3 will likely see him & Lambert on the bench

Some really good players won’t make the 16. Great problems to have

Last edited by Dick Durrant (08/8/2021 7:01 AM)

08/8/2021 1:33 PM  #28

I can see us playing 442 against Stamford to try and nullify their attacking threat so I could see us staring with 
                   Durrant
    Francis Maguire Fenton Bennett
Marzano Verma Wakefield Brown-Hill
             Troke Campbell

Subs from Goodson Irvine Spence Tait Lee Carvell Stainsby

I would bring on Goodson if we go a goal behind but if we are defending a narrow lead I would introduce Irvine and/or  Tate and/or Carvell and push Bennett into midfield to tighten it up..
My only doubt tin this line up would be Brown-Hill who looks low on confidence and match fitness so maybe Spence or Carvell might get the nod over him.
Reid would be up for consideration but as you say he is suspended!
Apologies to any body I have missed out of the squad!

08/8/2021 3:51 PM  #29

We've had different types of test in our pre-season games  (as you should do) and this was another one. This was a test against a big, physical, mature side who like to get the ball down and play football. Coalville probably edged it over the piece but we went toe-to-toe with them, played some good football, and could easily have snatched the win. We try to be a good footballing side so maybe we fare better against other good footballing sides than a team with a more direct style? Whatever, you have to be able to cope with whatever’s thrown at you.

The standout for me was how well the youngsters did. Boy, did Marzano, Spence, and Tait play well. Showed real skill and confidence and composure and did not look overawed or out of place at all. 

The two you might be a little concerned about are Goodson and Browne-Hill, who both look a little off the pace for me. I've still got my doubts about Frances and Campbell, but we'll see. I prefer 4 at the back; I just think players are more familiar with that system and are more sure of their roles and responsibilities. You have to say though, we do look a bit shaky at the back. I wonder if we played Marzano, Irvine, and Tait we'd be a little less exposed to pace, whether it's Rob Morgan rampaging through the middle or Cosmos Matwasa flying down the wing?

I like Carvell, I think he could be a key player for us; players always know where he is on the pitch and so he's always a good 'out' ball. I think Troke’s got a good all-round game, whereas perhaps Campbell’s more of a finisher (not that there’s anything wrong with being able to put the ball in the back of the net!). Billy Bennett's just a good footballer who could play anywhere. If you asked 10 people you'd probably get 10 different lineups. A bit left field I guess, but …

Durrant
Marzano    Maguire    Irvine   Tait
   Verma    Wakefield   Bennett
     Goodson    Troke   Carvell

Board footera