WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/10/2021 8:47 PM  #1

Halesowen v Ilkeston : Sat 23rd Oct '21

Next up is the big one. It’s our most important match for a long time. If we are hoping to clinch the automatic promotion spot then we cannot afford to lose. I know it’s still early days but this is how we stand. 

Halesowen are currently favourites to finish as champions. They are unbeaten and have dropped only six points so far compared to our ten. If we were to lose then the gap becomes seven points. If we win the gap is only one point and we still have to play them at the NMG so finishing above them would be in our own hands. 

When we played against them in the FA Cup, the attendance was over a thousand so I’m guessing it will be a similar crowd this time. We have to control the game and silence the crowd. Our second half performance last time showed that we were capable of beating them but we need to start well and score first if possible. 

I believe we are Halesowen’s main challengers for the top spot with Stamford, Belper and Chasetown also equipped to play higher. It’s a pity we won’t have Adam Chapman available for this match as I think he would have been an important player for us but we still have enough quality in our squad to win the match. 

I bet Halesowen are seeing this as a crutial fixture, just as we are. It's going to be a cracking game and all the other promotion hopefuls will be glued to the score updates.    

Halesowen are not a young team and appear to tire as their games progress. They always do better in the first half so if we can avoid being behind at half time we have a better chance of success. Halesowen number 11, Christopher Lait is their main threat going forward so we need to keep him out of the game.  

After straight wins in their first seven matches; Carlton, Stamford and Loughborough have run them close and have taken points off them. They are due for a defeat. 

We will need our strongest team to be at their best for this match and It will be interesting to see which players Martin Carruthers picks for this vital clash.  He surprised us with the team he chose to play against Stamford and it paid off. Can he do it again?

Last edited by Matchman (18/10/2021 6:10 AM)

18/10/2021 6:59 AM  #2

Re: Halesowen v Ilkeston : Sat 23rd Oct '21

As well as the top of the table clash between Halesowen and Ilkeston, there are several other interesting fixtures this weekend.

Sat 23rd October 2021
Belper Town  v   Bedworth United  
Corby Town  v  Chasetown  
Daventry Town  v  Cambridge City  
Halesowen Town  v  Ilkeston Town  
Histon  v  Yaxley  
Loughborough D  v  Coleshill Town  
Shepshed Dynamo v  Stamford  
Soham Town Rangers  v  Carlton  
Sporting Khalsa  v  Spalding United  
Wisbech Town  v  Sutton Coldfield  

Coleshill have a tricky fixture at Loughborough Dynamo and Chasetown could come unstuck at Corby.
Carlton face a long journey to Soham and Stamford won't have an easy game at Shepshed.
Belper will hope to make up some ground on the teams above them when they host Bedworth United.

18/10/2021 3:34 PM  #3

Lait wore 9 on Saturday so may have played down the middle. Harry White - one of the best strikers in the league ImO came off the bench. They now have Rich Gregory - a one time Robins target in their ranks too

It’ll be interesting to see if Tait or Campbell get fit. Particularly the latter. Stern Irvine could also come into the squad if fit

For me if we can stay in it for an hour we’ve a chance. I’d take a draw now if offered it. No reason we can’t win though - any of the three results is possible but if our lads turn up and we have the right amount of good luck then we can do it

Important not to blow it up out of proportion though. It isn’t a make or break thing. Play the game not the occasion and let’s not get too high if we win or low if we lose. It’s a long old season

18/10/2021 7:28 PM  #4

HALESOWEN TOWN – Who are they?

Halesowen Town Official Website can be found here >>>  https://www.ht-fc.co.uk

Halesowen Town Pen Pics can be found here >>> https://www.ht-fc.co.uk/1st-team-squad

Their Official Club History can be found here >>>  https://www.ht-fc.co.uk/club-history

Their Wikipedia is informative and generally up to date and can be found here >>>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halesowen_Town_F.C.

A small number of players have played for both clubs that we know of although Montel Gibson is the most recent. His details can be found here >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montel_Gibsohalesowen

Other players to have played for both include Chris Adamson, Simon Black, Darren Caskey, Lee Hughes, Jermaine Palmer and Dan Udoh. Their details can be found here >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Halesowen_Town_F.C._players 

League and Cup details of the  Yeltz Halesowen Town can be found here >>>  https://www.fchd.info/HALESOWT.HTM   

Halesowen Town’s results and fixtures  for the present season can be found here >>>  https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/halesowen-town/fixtures-results

The Halesowen Town Twitter account can be found here >>>  https://twitter.com/halesowentownfc?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

A guide to the Grove Halesowen Town’s home ground can be found here >>> 
 http://www.myfootygrounds.co.uk/StadiumDetails.asp?Team=Halesowen%20Town&StadiumID=274&TeamID=477     

19/10/2021 10:50 AM  #5

Dick Durrant wrote:

Lait wore 9 on Saturday so may have played down the middle. Harry White - one of the best strikers in the league ImO came off the bench. They now have Rich Gregory - a one time Robins target in their ranks too

It’ll be interesting to see if Tait or Campbell get fit. Particularly the latter. Stern Irvine could also come into the squad if fit

For me if we can stay in it for an hour we’ve a chance. I’d take a draw now if offered it. No reason we can’t win though - any of the three results is possible but if our lads turn up and we have the right amount of good luck then we can do it

Important not to blow it up out of proportion though. It isn’t a make or break thing. Play the game not the occasion and let’s not get too high if we win or low if we lose. It’s a long old season

........................................................................................................................................................................................

In my opinion we need at least a draw from this game and I've convinced myself that we can win it. We tend  to raise our game when we need to in important away matches. Remember the wins at Walsall Wood and we did it at Stamford this season. Both sets of players will be up for it as will the fans. It's going to be like a cup final. I'm feeling nervous already. I'm not expecting a Stamford repeat where we won comfortably. I'm expecting it to be be much more physical and competitive. We have several players injured or carrying injuries but no doubt Halesowen are in the same position. Whatever team we put out we're still good enough to get a result and I'm optimistic that we will. 

19/10/2021 3:09 PM  #6

MATCH PREVIEW    Halesowen Town v Ilkeston Town
Northern Premier League – Midlands
Saturday 23 October 2021 3PM​
Halesowen Town FC, The Grove, Old Hawne Lane, Halesowen, B63 3TB 
Adults £10, Concessions £7, 13-18 Year Olds £4 Under 12’s Free (with a paying adult)

Halesowen Town Football Club get ready to host high flying promotion chasers Ilkeston Town.  It has all the ingredients to be a great match between two good sides who will be hoping to gain promotion this season.  Last time out, The Yeltz were away from home against Yaxley who were 17th in the league table before the fixture started.  It was The Yeltz who took the lead early in the game from Chris Lait on the 10th minute, Halesowen had more chances early on in the match but it took until the 24th minute to get the second goal when Kyle Finn found the net.  After more excellent play Richard Gregory found the head of young Dan Brookes who headed home on the 39th minute to take The Yeltz into half time 3-0 up.  Second half Halesowen kept up the pressure with more chances and on the 59th minute Richard Gregory got his first goal of the game, Paul Smith’s boys kept getting their chances and on the 76th got their fifth goal from Gregory.  On the 80th minute the hosts had a penalty kick which was slotted home by Daniel Cotton to make it 5-1 and The Yeltz bring all three points back to The Grove and keep hold of top spot for another week, with 30 points and a three point gap between us and second placed Chasetown.  

Last time out for Ilkeston Town, they were at home as they hosted Soham Town Rangers, it was the visitors who opened the scoring on the 31st minute and Ilkeston went in at half time a goal down.  In the second half the hosts got the game back level on the 63rd minute from Aman Verma, and they had a ten minute spell where they went on the attack and on the 67th minute Alex Troke got a goal to put Ilkeston in front. Then again on the 69th minute when Patrick Webb got their third and final goal.  Before Adam Chapman saw red and will have to miss out the game at The Grove next week. Ilkeston Town currently sit inside the play off places in 4th with 26 points.     It’s been a while since we were all down The Grove, so let’s get the whole ground rocking and full of noise all afternoon and help The Yeltz boys get another win and keep hold of first place.  #UpTheYeltz

Last edited by Matchman (19/10/2021 4:20 PM)

21/10/2021 9:22 AM  #7

It's not easy to pick our best team to play against Halesowen but this would be my choice. Does any one disagree?
I don't know the injury situation so my choices are on the assumption that all players are fit to play 

1    Ross Durrant
2    Mitchell Tait
3    Billy Bennett
4    Charlie Wakefield
5    Joe Maguire
6    Kieran Fenton
7    Zak Goodson
8    Ollie Brown-Hill
9    Remaye Campbell
10  Alex Troke
11  James Reid

Bench :
12  Jared Bird (midfield),
14  Stern Irvine (defence),
15  Patrick Webb (striker),
16  James Carvell (attack),
17  Bradey Foster (goalkeeper) 

We have 4 excellent players who I’ve had to leave out : Aman Verma, Rashaan Frances, Tommy Williams and Jack Rogers.  (Adam Chapman is suspended)

21/10/2021 9:49 AM  #8

Can’t see Tait starting over Williams. For me he’s done really well since coming in. Left footed right backs rarely work

And Williams not even sub. Not a chance

Last edited by Dick Durrant (21/10/2021 9:50 AM)

21/10/2021 10:47 PM  #9

do we actual know who`s fit and who`s not . Plus who`s banned ? 
only asking because up front i do prefer (only just ) Remaye to say Paddy ( although Paddy looked good last week ) . Mitch is going to find it hard to get back into the side although he`s quality .  For once i feel the defence is getting better but that was going on last weeks second half performance when we looked really comfortable. 
At random i have heard really good things about the new signing Jared Bird . One was off a bloke at my workplace who`s son nearly signed for our 2nd team . Said Jared is a BIG BIG signing ......so watch this space . 

Last edited by kevilsonlad (21/10/2021 10:53 PM)

22/10/2021 8:27 AM  #10

kevilsonlad wrote:

do we actual know who`s fit and who`s not . Plus who`s banned ? 
only asking because up front i do prefer (only just ) Remaye to say Paddy ( although Paddy looked good last week ) . Mitch is going to find it hard to get back into the side although he`s quality .  For once i feel the defence is getting better but that was going on last weeks second half performance when we looked really comfortable. 
At random i have heard really good things about the new signing Jared Bird . One was off a bloke at my workplace who`s son nearly signed for our 2nd team . Said Jared is a BIG BIG signing ......so watch this space . 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

We only get to know about serious injuries which prevent the  players from playing. All players take knocks in every match and carry minor injuries. The less serious injuries are not revealed for obvious reasons so we don't know about them.
Re. Remaye Campbell and Patrick Webb :  They are totally different types of striker and it's good to have both. Remaye is a great holder of the ball, difficult to dispossess and lays off the ball to other players.  Paddy likes to run at defenders, has a striker's instinct for goal and is never afraid to have a go.
Re. Mitch : I like the way he plays. He never shirks anything and likes to get forward. He's young and he's only going to get better, a real prospect in my opinion.  I was surprised when we brought in Tommy Williams because in my opinion Rashaan has not been given a fair opportunity (unless Rash has been injured). Having said that Tommy Williams has got on with the job and done really well in an unassuming way.
I really hope you're right about Jared Bird. Hopefully he will bring pace and mobility in midfield and form an effective link with Charlie Wakefield who has been our most consistent player.

I'm desperately hoping for an outstanding team performance against Halesowen. 

22/10/2021 9:16 AM  #11

agree about Mitch and Charlie both very young players with a god future . Doesnt mean that i dont rate the other young players coz theyve only had part games . 
Remeye for has a very good understanding with Trokey ........

22/10/2021 6:49 PM  #12

Fans must understand that injury / suspension in the public domain can help the opposition. So don’t be too frustrated. It’s being kept close for the right reasons

22/10/2021 7:59 PM  #13

We have a strong squad compared with a lot of teams in our league. We should not be afraid of anyone because on our day we are capable of beating anyone! Halesowen will be more frightened of us than we are of them because we will not be expected to win. I say go for it we have nothing to lose!

23/10/2021 1:38 PM  #14

Halesowen team
1 Daniel Platt, 2 Danny Coogan, 3 Brett Lloyd, 4 Joshua Hawker, 5 Paul McLone, 6 Calum Flanagan, 7 Kyle Finn,
8 Jordan Goddard, 9 Harry White, 10 Richard Gregory, 11 Chris Lait
Bench : 12 Daniel Brookes, 14 Toby Scott, 15 Robbie Bunn, 16 Jack Holmes  17 Someon Cobourne.

Ilkeston Team :
1 Ross Durrant, 2 Tommy Williams, 3 Mitchell Tait, 4 Charlie Wakefield, 5 Joe Maguire, 6 Kieran Fenton, 7 Zak Goodson, 8 Adam Chapman, 9 Remaye Campbell, 10 Alex Troke, 11 Jared Bird.
Bench :  12 Patrick Webb, 14 Ollie Brown-Hill, 15 James Carvell, 16 Rashaan Frances, 17 Bradley Foster.

23/10/2021 1:45 PM  #15

It's 20 minutes to kick off.  1000+ gate is expected and Halesowen officials are feeling confident. 

Double decker full of fans on the Supporters bus today so it's going to be noisy.

Ilkeston players are wearing special tee-shirts today with "Get Well Aman" on the front.

Last edited by Matchman (23/10/2021 1:52 PM)

23/10/2021 2:00 PM  #16

Close to kick off now and the teams come out to a blast of noise.   Ilkeston are in their home kit and Halesowen are in blue shirts and white shorts. Ilkeston to kick off

We're off

23/10/2021 2:04 PM  #17

Halesowen first to attack  but its a goal kick. Ilkeston so close to a goal but ball is cleared off the line after Campbell intercepted a back pass. Long shot from Chapman but keeper saves          0-0   4 mins

23/10/2021 2:08 PM  #18

Ilkeston are looking good so far.  Free kick Ilkeston but Halesowen get it away. 
GOAL  ZAK Scores      1-0     8 mins

23/10/2021 2:13 PM  #19

Ilkeston Fans can be heard. Although outnumbered they are the loudest.  Corner Ilkeston (we're on top)
 It goes over everyone.    1-0    13 mins

Last edited by Matchman (23/10/2021 2:13 PM)

23/10/2021 2:17 PM  #20

Halesowen doing better now but Free kick Ilkeston five yards outside area. Frantic defending by Halesowen ends with Ilkeston corner.  Troke header is too high.        1-0    17 minutes

23/10/2021 2:26 PM  #21

ZaK cuts ball back to Troke but Troke fires over from good position. Counter attack by Halesowen but it ends with Ilkeston goal kick. Better from Halesowen now.. Volley from Lait goes over.       1-0       26 mins

23/10/2021 2:32 PM  #22

Chapman gets e yellow stopping an attack.  Campbell Crashes into Halesowen keeper. Looked like an accident but desperate halesowen fans are chanting  Off.   It's a yellow for Remaye.     1-0    32 mins

23/10/2021 2:39 PM  #23

Ilkeston are defending well and Halesowen can't create anything.  Decent spell by Halesowen but Ilkeston look more likely to score.         1-0     39 mins

23/10/2021 2:48 PM  #24

Halesowen counter attack nearly gets equaliser, Closest they've been.  Now Ilkeston corner.   Nothing comes from it.   Ilkeston are finishing the half on top. Zak goes down in area but ref says no. Ilkeston pressing for a 2nd goal. Great effort by Goodson  then the ball crashes against the bar so unlucky.   

Half time  Halesowen  0   Ilkeston 1

Ilkeston well worth their lead

23/10/2021 3:03 PM  #25

Halesowen have been sent out early. a full three minutes before the Ilkeston players.

Second half is underway   

23/10/2021 3:07 PM  #26

Half time Substitution by Halesowen. Strong sart by the Yeltz. Corner is held by Durrant.  Lait shot is blocked as Halesowen press. Durrant comes out and grabs loose ball.         1-0     53 mins

Last edited by Matchman (23/10/2021 3:11 PM)

23/10/2021 3:17 PM  #27

Great curling effort by Holmes  but thankfully just wide.  Corner to Ilkeston releases the pressure. Keep does well to collect.  Halesowen break and ref has a decision to make.  Durrant gets red card       1-0       58 minutes

23/10/2021 3:22 PM  #28

Halesowen fans are singing now as Ilkeston are down to ten players and sub keeper.  Big hold up following the incident.  Chapman is sacrificed for Foster .  Foster saves the free kick. Ilkeston are under real pressure now    
   1-0      63  minutes

Last edited by Matchman (23/10/2021 6:28 PM)

23/10/2021 3:24 PM  #29

It's corner after corner for Halesowen who smell blood.  

Last edited by Matchman (23/10/2021 6:29 PM)

23/10/2021 3:28 PM  #30

Lloyd fires over for halesowen. It will be a miracle if we hold out.  

Board footera