WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/12/2021 10:53 PM  #61

Re: Countdown to the big one : Dec 18 : Ilkeston v Stamford

Stamford's outstanding performance at the NMG has made me think that they could win the league.

Top seven at Christmas

P    W   D   L     F     A      GD   Pts
Ilkeston          20  14   3    3    59    22    37     45
Chasetown    20  13   5    2    49    22    27     44
Belper            21  14   2    5    46    27    19     44  
Halesowen     19  13   3    3    42    19    23     42
Coleshill         20  13   2    5    44    24    20     41
Stamford        19   11   5    3   47    23    24     38
Carlton           20   10   7   3    37    20    17     37

It looks like five from these seven will take up the automatic and payoff positions.
So who will be champions and who will be in the playoffs?
Up until Saturday I felt reasonably confident of Ilkeston’s chances. But the Stamford match has suddenly puts doubt in my mind.  Stamford are currently 6th but after their performance at the NMG, I can’t help but think that they could be the team to finish in the one automatic promotion spot. If they win their game in hand they’re only 4 points behind us. 
It’s about the strength of the teams now, not what’s gone before and Stamford are currently looking strongest.
Having said that we are in pole position and we have a strong squad. Halesowen are only 3 points behind us with a game in hand and Chasetown are only 1 point behind.  So I’m thinking that the automatic spot will most likely be taken by Ilkeston, Halesowen, Chasetown or Stamford and the three of those four who miss out will be joined by Belper or Coleshill in the playoffs. 
All of the promotion hopefuls will want the automatic spot because any of the teams finishing 2nd to 5th are capable of winning the playoffs. 
Still a long way to go of course but every point is vital from now on as we need to stay ahead on 'points per game' in case the season is curtailed. We need to win our next two matches against Shepshed and Belper to get back on track, then the matches against Halesowen and Chasetown later in the season will be crucial.
It could be a roller coaster of a ride and the final top five places may not be decided until April.

Last edited by Matchman (22/12/2021 8:07 AM)

22/12/2021 2:35 PM  #62

RUTLAND & STAMFORD MERCURY  :  MATCH REPORT

Stamford AFC draw with Northern Premier League Midlands Division leaders Ilkeston Town

Manager Graham Drury was left with mixed emotions after Stamford shared the spoils in a goalless draw with league leaders Ilkeston Town on Saturday. The Daniels boss was proud of the performance of his players in front of a crowd of 1,661 at the New Manor Ground.However, he was also left frustrated that Stamford were unable to turn their dominance into goals after an inspired display from home custodian Ross Durrant.

Drury said: "We played really well but Ross Durrant has had a superb game in the sticks and you have to give them a lot of credit as well because they've put their bodies on the line and got lots of blocks in."We went there with a real determination about us and I don't think they could work out the system which we played."I was really proud of the way that the players performed but it was also frustrating that the ball just wouldn't go in for us and I think we will play a lot worse than that this season and win games 5-0.”

Stamford handed a first start of the season to Joe Burgess who came in for the suspended Mike Armstrong while Sean Wright replaced the unavailable Stacey Freeman.  Ex-Daniels player Ollie Brown-Hill was in the Ilkeston starting line-up and he created an early opening for Alex Troke who fired wide while Jack Duffy sent a header past the post at the other end.  Rob Morgan headed another good opportunity wide for the Daniels before Jake Duffy was denied by Durrant with Kieran Fenton and Billy Bennett making crucial blocks to keep out the follow up. Morgan then fired in another shot after a driving run that Durrant was equal to before Stamford were awarded a penalty five minutes ahead of the half-time break.  Tendai Chitiza was felled by Joe Maguire in the box but Durrant produced another top-drawer stop to keep out Harry Vince's spot kick and ensure the opening period finished goalless.

Ilkeston offered more of an attacking threat after the break as they changed their system with Zak Goodson seeing a shot deflected wide while Remaye Campbell had a header saved by Dan Haystead in the Stamford goal.  Haystead then produced a fine stop from Adam Chapman before Stamford scrambled clear from a Maguire header as the honours finished even in what was Stamford's fifth draw of the season. Boss Drury added: "On our day, I don't think many would argue that we're the best side in the league but we have to be consistent.  

Last edited by Matchman (22/12/2021 4:31 PM)

24/12/2021 9:24 AM  #63

I really hope that some of the non regulars who came to this game will give us another go for the New Year's Day match against another of the promotion contenders, Belper town

24/12/2021 3:51 PM  #64

FROM  PETERBOROUGH TELEGRAPH

Hat-trick for Yaxley as skipper comes good, Stamford excel in front of huge crowd at leaders, late winner for Deeping, new manager bounce for Blackstones, in-form March win again

Yaxley completed a hat-trick of wins in the Northern Premier Midlands Division with a 3-2 success over Sporting Khalsa at In2itive Park yesterday (December 18). 

Yaxley have now moved clear of relegation danger, but Wisbech remain deep in trouble after conceding three first-half goals at Coleshill. Dylan Edge grabbed a consolation for the Fenmen after the break.

At the other end of the table Stamford AFC are just outside the play-off places after dominating a 0-0 draw at leaders Ilkeston in front of 1500 fans, many persuaded to attend by free admission. Ilkeston’s goalkeeper was a clear man-of-the-match.

Jordan Macleod scored twice, but Spalding lost 3-2 at Loughborough Dynamo.

Will Bird’s late winner secured a 1-0 success for Deeping Rangers at local rivals Pinchbeck United in a United Counties Premier Division clash, but bottom club Holbeach are stuck on two points from 18 games after a 5-1 home hammering from Skegness. 

It’s seven points in three matches for Blackstones’ new manager Lloyd Burton who saw Connor Pilbeam (2) and Ricki Goodale strike in a 3-0 Division One win over Saffron Dynamo.

Blackstones host neighbours Bourne over the Christmas period. Bourne lost 4-1 at home to Kirby Muxloe on Saturday.

A goal and an assist from Jack Friend helped in-form March Town win 2-1 at Haverhill in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division. Recent signing from Chatteris Ben Matthews claimed the winning goal. 

Board footera