WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/12/2021 3:45 PM  #1

Reece Fyfe

Ex Robin Reece Fyfe has joined Long Eaton United from Basford United. Reece will be reunited with ex Robins manager Ian Deakin. Reco joined Basford United at the start of this season after leaving Gainsborough Trinity.

22/12/2021 4:47 PM  #2

Re: Reece Fyfe

One of my favourites. Didn’t think he was quite good enough to be a Step 3 player though. Certainly meeting up with old Ilkeston friends at Long Eaton.

Lot of ‘ifs’, but if we didn’t go up and Long Eaton won the United Counties North (they’re currently 12 points clear at the top), would they get promoted into our league (Northern Premier League Midlands)?

22/12/2021 5:09 PM  #3

Easy on the eye. But for me didn’t influence games enough

For all the nice touches flicks etc in his last spell with us his assist/ goal stats were weak. A luxury player has to over deliver in both areas to compensate for others having to do some of their defending

Loads of ability though. No doubt about that. But look at the numbers (which someone more analytical than me may be able to provide) and form your own conclusions

Neither Basford or Gainsborough are pulling any trees up so if he can’t get a game at either club regularly then LE for regular football is possibly a good move but he has more than Step 5 ability in my view

Would he get in our current side? I’m going with a sitting on the fence possibly! But no more than that

22/12/2021 5:41 PM  #4

Yes a very talented player who at times shows magical examples of football skill. Unfortunately maybe did not show these touches often enough to effect games regularly and gain a permanent starting place. Some fans would say when he did not have the ball you were playing with only ten men.
If he was playing say for Jurgen Klopp who would insist he plays a pressing game he could quite a player. I hope Reece does not look back on his career and think he underachieved. I also hope he proves me wrong and plays like he played against Loughborough University every week at Long Eaton United.
PS I do think Ian Deakin is an excellent manager but not yet a Jurgen Klopp!

22/12/2021 7:14 PM  #5

I always thought Reco was a naturally gifted player but I have to admit that there were some games that he didn't seem to do enough. The championship winning game against Loughborough University was one of his best matches in Ilkeston colours. I expected him to do well at Gainsborough and I'm slightly surprised that he's gone back to Step 5 but he should be a star at Long Eaton. Ian Deakin knows how to handle and get the best out of players.

Last edited by Matchman (22/12/2021 7:16 PM)

Board footera