WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04/2/2022 1:23 PM  #1

Adult Football in Ilkeston 2022

I have been researching local football teams for some time and I decided to find out which other football clubs presently play competitive football on a Saturday in Ilkeston apart from Ilkeston Town. I was shocked to find out that I could not find any! There are number of  teams playing in the Long Eaton Sunday League like AFC Kirk Hallam (including Alex and Tom Marshall), Spanish Bar and Stanton Ilkeston but apparently none on a Saturday.
I remember In my youth (late 70s) there were Ilkeston Town, Ilkeston Town Reserves, Stanton Ilkeston, Stanton Ilkeston Reserves, Valley Park, Kirk Hallam Youth Club, Charnos, Ilkeston Electric, Ashfield, West Hallam, Meridian, Cotmanhay, Mapperley, Stanley Common MW, Stanley and Smalley Villa etc. There were also numerous Sunday teams like Bridges, Ilkeston Catholics, Stanhope, Wine Vaults, Harrow, Humber Social, Three Horseshoes and Durham Ox etc.
I have tried to work out why these clubs disappeared. Football is apparently still the largest participation sport in England. So when and where are they playing? Do young adults have better things to do on a Saturday? Has the proliferation of Live TV football meant the death of local football clubs? Or have the young just lost interest in football?
I would love to hear your thoughts so I can try to find some answers to the numerous questions I have.

Board footera