WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24/4/2022 8:33 PM  #61

Re: Sat 23rd April 2022 ; Wisbech Town v Ilkeston Town

Sat 23rd April 2022  :  Northern Premier League
Wisbech Town  1  Ilkeston Town  2
Two set piece goals saw Ilkeston finish as champions and secure the single automatic promotion spot. The deciding game was not a classic as the strong wind off the North Sea made passing difficult. But champions are decided over a whole season and in the end Ilkeston finished three points clear. Season long challengers, Stamford, Halesowen and Chasetown must now contest the playoffs along with Belper who edged out Carlton. Around  250 Ilkeston supporters made the journey for the final game and they were rewarded by seeing their team claim the prize albeit in unspectacular fashion.
Wisbech were relegated before the game but were determined to go out on a high. Ilkeston had most of the possession in the first half but chances were at a premium. The best effort came from Montel Gibson on 15 minutes. Keeper Luke Pearson produce a fine save but when the ball fell to Remaye Campbell his shot cleared the cross bar. Ilkeston took the lead on 36 minutes when Jared Bird was fouled 30 yards out and skipper Kieran Fenton found the top corner from the free kick. Just before half time Ilkeston nearly got a second when Campbell was denied by Pearson and the resultant corner was headed over by Aman Verma.
The second half saw an increase in tempo and a header from Jack Keeble that went wide was the closest that Wisbech had been. Ilkeston’s second goal followed a Wisbech corner. Stern Irvine headed clear and Ilkeston’s best attack of the game ensued. The swift counter attack involved several Robins players and ended with Dan Bradley weaving his way into the penalty area where he was brought down. Campbell stepped up to double Ilkeston’s lead on 63 minutes. That should have been that but Wisbech were to make the game interesting when Sam Bennett pulled one back 11 minutes from time. The hosts made a real effort the rescue a point and Josh Lewis had a big opportunity but couldn’t finish. Both sides had chances and as the game went into stoppage time a Wisbech counter attack saw Saul Deeney produced a fine save to deny Danny Draper. But Ilkeston deserved their win and when the final whistle blew the on pitch celebrations commenced.

Last edited by Matchman (24/4/2022 8:51 PM)

24/4/2022 8:49 PM  #62

NPL Champions Crowned Across Four Divisions

By James Gordon

Buxton have been crowned the 2021/22 winners of the Northern Premier League.
Despite going down 1-0 at Stalybridge Celtic, the Bucks boasted a far superior goal difference to nearest rivals South Shields, who lost 1-0 at Grantham Town anyway and finished three points behind.

It is the first completed season since 2018/19, meaning Buxton take over the mantle of NPL champions from Farsley Celtic, the previous winners.South Shields must now go for promotion through the play-offs, and they will be joined by Scarborough Athletic, Matlock Town and Warrington Town.

Warrington were the losers of the day, going down 2-0 at Matlock, which meant they slipped from third to fifth, while Scarborough’s win at home to Radcliffe secured them third spot.

Liversedge confirmed the NPL East Division title with a 2-0 win away at Worksop Town.They had all but secured the title courtesy of their superior goal difference to Marske United, who could only draw at home to Ossett United.Liversedge earn promotion to the Premier Division having lost just once in the league all season, recording 29 wins and amassing 93 points.

There was no change to the order of the play-off places on the final day, with Marske finishing ahead of Cleethorpes Town, Stockton Town and Shildon.

Warrington Rylands won the NPL West Division in their maiden year in the NPL, despite a 2-2 draw at home to Bootle. Workington could have pinched the title had they won away at Market Drayton Town, but they were held to a 1-1 by the relegated Draymen, who finished bottom of the table with 12 points.The other key game of the day saw Leek Town beat play-off rivals Marine to finish third, with Runcorn Linnets finishing in between those two in the table in fourth.

Ilkeston Town secured the NPL Midlands Division, which had entered the final day with three possible winners.

Ilkeston took care of their own business by beating Wisbech Town 2-1, rendering results elsewhere obsolete.As it was, second placed Chasetown were beaten 1-0 at Spalding United, meaning they slipped to finish fourth in the table. Stamford’s 3-0 win at home to Carlton Town lifted them to second, with Halesowen Town’s thumping 6-1 win at Daventry Town placing them third. That defeat for Carlton at Stamford, meant Belper Town were safe in the final play-off spot, though they had made sure themselves with a 2-0 win at home to Corby Town.

Pictures: Darren Murphy 

24/4/2022 9:12 PM  #63

Northern Premier League
2021/22 Play-Off Line-Up

By James Gordon

The Northern Premier League play-offs were confirmed on the final day of the season. Across all four divisions, four teams will go for a second promotion place from their respective division. All eight divisional semi-finals will take place on Tuesday April 26, 7.45pm kick-off.The finals for the East, West and Midlands Divisions will place on Saturday April 30, 3pm kick-off. The Premier Division play-off final will take place on Monday May 2, 3pm kick-off. All games will be played to 90 minutes, with 15 minutes extra time each way and penalty kicks if required.

The play-off semi-finals are:

Premier Division
South Shields v Warrington Town

Scarborough Athletic v Matlock Town.

East Division
Marske United v Shildon
Cleethorpes Town v Stockton Town

Midlands Division
Stamford v Belper Town
Halesowen Town v Chasetown

West Division
Workington v Marine
Leek Town v Runcorn Linnets

Last edited by Matchman (24/4/2022 9:13 PM)

27/4/2022 2:47 PM  #64

Wisbech Town FC
It was pleasing to see our Cobra Engineering wheelchair viewing platform in good use for the match with @ilkestontown_fc   #UpTheFenmen  

I thought this was a great idea and would encourage more wheelchair usesrs to come to matches

Cobra Engineering UK Ltd Redmoor Lane, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire PE14 0RN
Tel:  01945 860578        Email: info@cobra-engineering.co.uk

Last edited by Matchman (27/4/2022 3:45 PM)

27/4/2022 5:06 PM  #65

So glad that we clinched promotion at Wisbech. We all know anything can happen in the playoffs and that has proved to be the case.
 Ilkeston are promoted and some really good teams have missed out in the Step 4 playoffs losing to teams who finished below them. 

Stamford finished 2nd but lost to Belper
Halesowen finished 3rd but lost to Chasetown
Leek finished 3rd but lost to Runcorn Linnets
Workington finished 2nd but lost to Marine

28/4/2022 4:37 PM  #66

FENLAND CITIZEN  Match Report

Wisbech push all the way as Ilkeston crowned champions

The Robins only needed a point to claim the crown but, under their newly-confirmed boss, the Fenmen went toe to toe with their illustrious opponents and were left ruing two controversial refereeing decisions.

Backed by more than 200 travelling fans from Derbyshire, the visitors scored in the 37th minute from a free kick many in the ground thought should have gone the other way and a 63rd minute penalty that even the away team seemed surprised to be awarded.

Wisbech fought back with a superb goal from striker Sam Bennett in the 79th minute and nearly clinched a draw in stoppage time when a superb save from visiting keeper Saul Deeny kept out a Danny Draper volley.

With the wind behind them, the champions had the best of the first half and should have scored after 15 minutes when Montel Gibson's shot was superbly saved by home keeper Luke Pearson and the rebound was ballooned over by former Notts County striker Remaye Campbell.

That was it for the visitors as an attacking force until a bizarre episode eight minutes before the break which saw two Wisbech players needing physio treatment after tackles flew in on the edge of the home box and yet a free kick awarded to Ilkeston.  It did seem that a Fenman player was the first player fouled, but whatever the argument, Kieran Fenton's sumptuous 20 yard free kick gave the Robins the lead and was worthy of winning a title.

The visitors did not want to rest on their laurels either and continued to attack, Pearson again proving his worth with a great save at his near post to deny Campbell just before half time.

After the break, Ilkeston seemed to cope better with the wind against them than Wisbech did, and won a penalty three minutes after the hour when one of their men went down in the box after a clip on the heels.  Again, the award from referee Alistair Wilson seemed fortunate for the Robins but, again, the finish was clinical as Campbell rolled in the goal which all but guaranteed the title.

Next came a totally unnecessary five minutes as ref Wilson booked the Robins' manager, assistant and one of their subs in the space of five minutes for things said from the bench. The cards left the crowd perplexed and stalled the momentum of the game.

But Wisbech, who had kept a solid shape throughout the game, kept their focus and scored a superb goal 11 minutes from time when a great ball from midfielder Finlay Armond found Bennett in space and the striker scored his 11th goal in just 18 starts for Wisbech. If he stays at his home-town club next season, expect 30-plus goals at Step 5.

The resolve brought into the club by Ross was evident in a last ten minutes when the new champions were not allowed to coast home. The home side chased and fought for every ball and were nearly rewarded with a deserved equaliser in added on time when Draper's superb effort brought an even better save from the visiting keeper.

So a disappointing season came to its finale with a 30th defeat from 38 Step 4 matches for the Fenmen, who are deservedly relegated.

But Step 5 is a different level and if Ross can keep a nucleus involving keeper Pearson, central defenders Wilson and Keeble, midfielders Murphy and Maddison and forward players Draper and Bennett, the home faithful can expect a much more enjoyable season in 2022/23.

Wisbech Town: Pearson, Newman, Taylor, Keeble, Wilson (Lewis 74), Maddison, (Hempson 78), Vieira (Lukyamuzi 78), Armond, Bennett, Murphy, Draper.

Ilkeston Town: Deeney, Verma, Bennent (Goodson 26 mins), Bradley (Reid 84), Irvine, Fenton, Thomas, Bird, Campbell, Gibson (Troke 76), Brown-Hill. Subs (not used): Maguire, Carvell.

Star man: It has to be Sam Bennett again. Always a threat, always concentrating, so vital to Wisbech's future.

Attendance: 414. 

Last edited by Matchman (28/4/2022 4:41 PM)

28/4/2022 5:50 PM  #67

Wisbech Manager looks ahead to next season following relegation

Wisbech boss Allan Ross says top three finish and cup run would be great

Wisbech Town manager Allan Ross is already looking forward to next season after his temporary appointment was made permanent this week.

Ross' February appointment was the Fenmen's sixth in a turbulent season and although he could not halt the slide towards Step 5 football, he already feels he has built some favourable foundations.

After an unlucky defeat saw Ilkeston Town crowned Northern Premier League Midlands Division champions he said: "Next season will be a complete rebuild and we will be so much more competitive. If we can be in the top three or four for the majority of the season and have a good cup run, I will be over the moon."

It will not be known for a week or two which Step 5 league the Fenmen will be placed in, but the United Counties League Premier Division North seems most likely.

There they would play against sides such as Deeping Rangers, Skegness Town, Boston Town and Sleaford Town - and possibly Fenland rivals March Town if they are switched over from the Eastern Counties League.

"That league is ideal as geographically it gives us a good chance to sign players and from my past experiences I have good knowledge of many of the opposition teams. But, whatever league we play in, I will sign players who want to play for us."

Ross also praised the Fenmen faithful,many of whom were delighted with his permanent appointment: "The way I have been welcomed by our supporters has delighted and overwhelmed me.

"They've seen the work me, my backroom staff and the players have put in and that has made me delighted to commit to the club.

"I am very emotional to be chosen to lead this club. When I drive in from Boston it's a good feeling when I see the Wisbech sign and remember I'm the manager of the biggest football club in the area.

"The support I've had gives me the confidence that what I have been doing is right, but now we need to take it to the next level.

"Now I need to nail down seven or eight of the players we already have and I have identified another six or seven I want to bring in."   

Last edited by Matchman (29/4/2022 12:37 PM)

28/4/2022 5:52 PM  #68

Good Luck to Wisbech at Step 5.  We've always had a warm welcome there.  Nice ground and facilities.

Last edited by Matchman (28/4/2022 5:57 PM)

Board footera