WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/5/2022 11:33 AM  #31

Re: Next Season

I would love to see Joe Wilson lured back to the NMG from Gainsborough and I would look at seeing if we entice Morgans  from Stamford. There is a player called Shiels (no relations I think) at Boston  who could do a job at centre back! There will be a lot of very good players out of contract in the next few weeks so interesting times!!

06/5/2022 10:12 PM  #32

A predictor on Non League Matters has placed Ilkeston in the Southern League Premier Central. 

The makeup of the Premier Central in 2021-22 was ;
1 Banbury
2 Peterborough Sports
3 Coalville
4 Rushall
5 Alvechurch
6 Rushden
7 Leiston
8 Royston
9 Hednesford
10Tamworth
11 Stourbridge
12 Needham Market
13 Stratford 
14 St Ives
15 Reddich
16 Nuneaton
17 Hitchin
18 Bromsgrove
19 Barwell
20 Biggleswade
21 Lowestoft 

sub total       21 teams  

Promoted are Banbury and Peterborough Sports
Relegated are Lowestoft and Biggleswade

leaving a Sub total  of    17 teams

Coming into the Premier Central : 

Promoted from Step 4 - Ilkeston, Bedford, North Leigh, 

Laterally moved from NPL  -  Basford and Mickleover 

* Guiseley and Billericay relegated from National Leagues North and South but niether go into Premier Central

New Total  for 2022-23                 22 teams

So according to the predictor on NonLeagueMatters, this will be the makeup of the Southern League Premier Central for 2022-23 

1   Coalville
2   Rushall
3   Alvechurch
4   Rushden & Diamonds
5   Leiston
6   Royston
7   Hednesford
8   Tamworth
9   Stourbridge
10 Needham Market
11 Stratford
12 St Ives
13 Reddich
14 Nuneaton
15 Hichin
16 Bromsgrove
17 Barwell
18 Ilkeston                  promoted
19 Bedford                  promoted

20 North Leigh           promoted
21 Basford                 moved from NPL
22 Mickleover            moved from NPL

Remember the above is only a prediction  

Last edited by Matchman (07/5/2022 2:32 PM)

08/5/2022 9:45 AM  #33

The retained and released list shown earlier in this topic has been replaced by a list of retained players only on the Club's twitter account.   Wonder why?  Has one of the players on the released list had second thoughts and now accepted an original contract offer or negotiated an improved offer? I'm only guessing and could be completely wrong.

We eagerly await news of which Step 3 league we are in and details of incoming players. Watch this space.

Last edited by Matchman (08/5/2022 9:47 AM)

08/5/2022 1:10 PM  #34

Which league we are placed in is of massive importance. it is generally acknowledged that our chances of another promotion are greater if we go into the Southern League. 
If we go into the Northern Premier League Premier Division there are several big and well supported teams. South Shields average home attendance last season was 2126 with FC United not far behind. There are several teams who nearly always do well and finish near the top.   
By contrast the best supported team in the Southern League Premier Central is Bromsgrove Sporting with an average attendance of 798.  
It would be remarkable for us to get into the playoffs if in the Northern Premier. There is a much more realistic chance of reaching the playoffs from the Southern League. It won’t be easy in the Southern League but almost certainly it will be less difficult than in the Northern Premier. 
Of course another factor in how well we do next season is the quality of players we bring in. From what I’ve heard, the players we are interested in would enable us to make a playoff challenge but players like to know what league they are playing in before they commit.

Last edited by Matchman (08/5/2022 1:13 PM)

08/5/2022 4:57 PM  #35

Being presumptuous, if we were to get promoted again next season we would definitely go into the National League North. The border line between North and South in the National League is much further down. The most Southerly club in the National League North is Gloucester City.  The most Northerly club in the National League South is Oxford City.

09/5/2022 7:39 AM  #36

Which league we’re going into really is 50:50 and is in the hands of the FA to decide. Interested and knowledgeable people have produced conflicting projections but as we’re right on the Step 3 border between North and South the decision could go either way.

At Step 3 there are three Southern  Leagues and one Northern League so there’s always likely to be teams who consider themselves to be Northern who have to play in the Southern Central. The FA’s main object is to reduce travelling times and costs in each league. They take into account motorways and main routes as they reduce travel times. 

What ever they come up with, certain teams will feel they have been misplaced and would have preferred to be in another league. It’s quite possible for teams close to each other to be in different leagues but I would imagine that the FA would try to avoid that as it would almost certainly result in appeals. That’s why many people think that Ilkeston and Basford will be in the same league but then there’s Mickleover and Belper also very close to Ilkeston. 

From just Ilkeston’s viewpoint the Southern League would mean less travelling but deciding who goes in which league is based on the travelling of all teams in each league. This will change every season as different teams are relegated and promoted. so Ilkeston could be a team that gets moved on a regular basis if we stay at Step 3. Therefore if we’re in the weaker Southern League we need to give promotion a real go to avoid the possibility of a move to the more difficult Northern Prem in the future.

The sooner we know, the better.

Last edited by Matchman (09/5/2022 7:42 AM)

10/5/2022 7:59 AM  #37

According to this predictor Long Eaton will go onto NPL East rather than NPL Midlands. He also has Carlton in this league

It would be tough in this league but they have several seaside trips ;

10/5/2022 9:05 AM  #38

Here is another projection of the Step 3 leagues for next season  It’s similar to my post  no.32 in that Ilkeston are predicted to be in the Southern Premier Central but this one includes North London clubs, Chesham United and Kings Langley instead of Eastern clubs Leiston and Needham Market 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eZrCULE0lQsw_iSvLQNvRsZvOizYC-cdLP4oL41t7kU/edit#gid=703142539

Last edited by Matchman (10/5/2022 2:21 PM)

10/5/2022 3:23 PM  #39

Thats the one i go off every year. Also this is the league where i did our miles for the season off as well.

11/5/2022 9:17 AM  #40

All of the projections have to be inspired guesswork and i've never known anyone get it exactly right. The people doing the projections have a try every year following promotions and relegations. It's like a challenge to see who can come closest. There are so many teams that are on the boundaries of several leagues that it's almost impossible to predict where they will be placed. Also the set number of teams for each league means some teams close to each other have to go into different leagues. For example, Ilkeston , Basford, Mickleover and Belper probably won't be in the same league.

Last year, the FA published the National League System Club Allocations for Steps 3 and 4,  on 18th May 2021. 
https://www.thefa.com/news/2021/may/18/nls-allocations-20210518

Last edited by Matchman (11/5/2022 10:13 AM)

12/5/2022 9:27 AM  #41

This was the NPL South East League Table when the 2019-20 season was curtailed. Who would have thought that two years later we would be promoted ahead of Leek and Stamford. They were much better than us, as the league table shows but thanks to Dave and Andy we are now set to pay at Step 3 and they are still at Step 4

https://www.thenpl.co.uk/archive8876-match-info/tables?table_id=d-51779     

12/5/2022 1:13 PM  #42

And remember if we had not have been promoted we might like Long Eaton might, have gone in to the NPL East Division with some very  long trips top north (usually on a wet and cold February Tuesday night!)

12/5/2022 4:48 PM  #43

The wait is over - We're in the Southern League

Club Allocations For 2022/23

 41 minutes ago  By James Gordon

The make-up of the Northern Premier League divisions in 2022/23 has been confirmed.

The FA has announced its Step 3 and 4 club allocations, subject to appeal and ratification by FA council.

In the Premier Division, Guiseley drop down from National League North into the NPL, while five clubs take their places following promotion from the NPL’s Step 4 divisions - Belper Town, Liversedge, Marine, Marske United and Warrington Rylands.Unfortunately, we lose Basford United and Mickleover from the NPL - as they have been moved laterally to the Southern League Central.

Also bidding farewell to the NPL and joining them in Southern League Central are Ilkeston Town, who won the NPL Midlands Division this season.

At Step 4, Carlton Town are moved from NPL Midlands to NPL East - and they are joined in that division by Consett, Grimsby Borough, Long Eaton United and North Shields, who all earned promotion from Step 5.

Grantham Town have been placed in NPL East Division following their relegation from the Premier Division, with Witton Albion placed in NPL West Division.

Hanley Town, Macclesfield and Skelmersdale United have all been promoted to the NPL West Division from Step 5.

Joining the NPL in Midlands Division as a result of lateral movement are Dereham Town and St Neots Town, with Boldmere St Michael’s, Gresley Rovers, Harborough Town and Hinckley LR also welcomed following their respective promotions from Step 5.

This information has been distributed to clubs today by the FA, with any appeals scheduled for w/c June 6 and June 13.NPL

Premier Division (22 clubs, Step 3): Ashton United, Atherton Collieries, Bamber Bridge, Belper Town, FC United, Gainsborough Trinity, Guiseley, Hyde United, Lancaster City, Liversedge, Marine, Marske United, Matlock Town, Morpeth Town, Nantwich Town, Radcliffe, South Shields, Stafford Rangers, Stalybridge Celtic, Warrington Rylands, Warrington Town, Whitby Town.

NPL East Division (20 clubs, Step 4): Bridlington Town, Brighouse Town, Carlton Town, Cleethorpes Town, Consett, Dunston, Grantham Town, Grimsby Borough, Hebburn Town, Lincoln United, Long Eaton United, North Shields, Ossett United, Pontefract Collieries, Sheffield, Shildon, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Stockton Town, Tadcaster Albion, Worksop Town.

NPL Midlands Division (20 clubs, Step 4): Bedworth United, Boldmere St Michael’s, Cambridge City, Chasetown, Coleshill Town, Corby Town, Daventry Town, Dereham Town, Gresley Rovers, Halesowen Town, Harborough Town, Hinckley LR, Loughborough Dynamo, Shepshed Dynamo, Spalding United, Sporting Khalsa, St Neots Town, Stamford, Sutton Coldfield Town, Yaxley.

NPL West Division (20 clubs, Step 4): 1874 Northwich, Bootle, City of Liverpool, Clitheroe, Colne, Glossop North End, Hanley Town, Kidsgrove Athletic, Leek Town, Macclesfield, Mossley, Newcastle Town, Prescot Cables, Ramsbottom United, Runcorn Linnets, Skelmersdale United, Trafford, Widnes, Witton Albion, Workington.

Last edited by Matchman (12/5/2022 4:49 PM)

12/5/2022 4:58 PM  #44

FROM THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE WEBSITE
DATE: THU 12 MAY 2022  BY STEVE WHITNEY

Club Allocations for 2022/23

The FA's National League System has allocated the following clubs to the Pitching In Southern Football League for 2022/23.

Premier Division Central
AFC Rushden & Diamonds 
Alvechurch 
Barwell 
BASFORD UNITED 
Bedford Town 
Bromsgrove Sporting 
Coalville Town 
Hednesford Town 
Hitchin Town 
ILKESTON TOWN 
*Kings Langley 
Leiston 
MICKLEOVER 
Needham Market 
Nuneaton Borough 
Redditch United 
Royston Town 
Rushall Olympic 
St Ives Town 
Stourbridge 
Stratford Town 
Tamworth
CAPITAL letters are clubs switched from Northern Premier League 
*Lateral movement

Premier Division South
Beaconsfield Town 
BRACKNELL TOWN 
Chesham United 
Dorchester Town 
Gosport Borough 
HANWELL TOWN 
Harrow Borough 
Hartley Wintney 
Hayes & Yeading United 
Hendon 
Metropolitan Police 
North Leigh 
Plymouth Parkway 
Poole Town 
Salisbury 
Swindon Supermarine 
Tiverton Town 
Truro City 
Walton Casuals 
Weston-super-Mare 
Winchester City 
Yate Town
CAPITAL letters are clubs switched from the Isthmian League.

Division One Central
AFC Dunstable 
Aylesbury United 
Barton Rovers 
Berkhamsted 
Biggleswade FC 
Biggleswade Town 
*Cirencester Town 
Didcot Town 
FC Romania 
Hadley 
Harlow Town 
Hertford Town 
*Highworth Town 
Kempston Rovers 
Kidlington 
Thame United 
Walthamstow 
Ware 
Welwyn Garden City
*Lateral movement

Division One South
AFC Totton 
Bashley 
Bideford AFC 
Bishops Cleeve 
Bristol Manor Farm 
Evesham United 
Exmouth Town 
Frome Town 
Hamworthy United 
Larkhall Athletic 
Lymington Town 
Melksham Town 
Merthyr Town 
Paulton Rovers 
Sholing 
Slimbridge 
Tavistock 
Westbury United 
Willand Rovers 
Wimborne Town

Teams leaving the Southern League: 
Lowestoft Town – to Isthmian League North
St Neots Town – to Northern Premier League Division One Midlands

Last edited by Matchman (12/5/2022 5:03 PM)

12/5/2022 5:01 PM  #45

I dont understand how long eaton are in the eastern league and stamford in the midland league?

12/5/2022 6:16 PM  #46

ILKESTON TOWN 

Teams who we have played in league matches. Some clubs are new incarnations of clubs we have previously played.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds 
Alvechurch 

Barwell 

Bromsgrove Sporting 

Coalville Town 

Hednesford Town 

Mickleover

Nuneaton Borough 

Redditch United 

Rushall Olympic 

Stourbridge 

Tamworth

Teams who we believe we have not encountered in a league match before although we may have played them in the various cup competitions

Basford United 
Bedford Town
Hitchin Town 
Kings Langley 
Leiston
Needham Market 
Royston Town 
St Ives Town 
Stratford Town 

12/5/2022 8:34 PM  #47

Southern League Announces Club Allocations for 2022-2023

Premier Central Division

Increased to 22 clubs:
Bedford Town and Ilkeston Town promoted.
Kings Langley switched from Premier League South.
Basford United and Mickleover switched from Northern Premier League.

Subject to appeal! 

Kings Langley were the Basford of the Southern Premier South. The finished third from bottom like Basford but weren’t relegated
Their record was: P42, W9, D10. L23, F49, A68, GD-19  Points 37 

Bedford won the Southern Central Div 1  losing only 3 matches and scoring 100 goals
Their record was: P38, W28, D7, L3, F100, A 28, GD+72  Points 91

Last edited by Matchman (12/5/2022 8:57 PM)

13/5/2022 7:55 AM  #48

So next season’s SoutherLeague Premier Central is made up of :

17 teams from the previous season
 2   promoted  (Ilkeston and Bedford)
 3   moved (Basford, Mickleover, Kings Langley)  

Teams in Southern Premier Central last season were : 
Pos.  Team                  Points 
3rd    Coalville                78
4th    Rushall                  69
5th    Alvechurch            65
6th    Rushden & D         65
7th    Leiston                   60
8th    Royston                 59
9th    Hednesford            54
10th  Tamworth               54
11th   Stourbridge           53
12th  Needham Market   49
13th  Stratford                 47
14th  St Ives                    47
15th  Reddich                  46
16th  Nuneaton               42
17th  Hitchin                    42
18th  Bromsgrove            42
19th  Barwell                    41   

Promoted teams ;
Ilkeston            Finished 1st with 87 points
Bedford            Finished 1st with 91 points 

Moved teams:
Mickleover         Finished 12th with 55 points
Basford              Finished 20th with 45 points
Kings Langley    Finished 20th with 37 points  

Last edited by Matchman (13/5/2022 8:14 AM)

22/5/2022 7:25 AM  #49

The FA Cup early dates that have been released are:
Sat 6 Aug Extra Preliminary Round
Sat 20 Aug Preliminary Round
Sat 3 Sept First Qualifying Round

Am I right in thinking Step 3 Clubs like Ilkeston enter the completion in the first qualifying round ie Sat 3rd September?

If so we will have played 8 league games by then

Sat Aug   6th  first league match
Tue Aug   9th  first midweek league match
Sat Aug 13th  second Saturday league match
Tue Aug 16th  second midweek league match
Sat Aug 20th  fifth league match
Tue Aug 23rd  sixth league match
Sat Aug. 27th. 7th  league match
Mon Aug 29th 8th league match (Bank Hol)
Sat Sep   3rd  FA Cup  1st qualifying round

Thanks Alex - now corrected

Last edited by Matchman (22/5/2022 2:06 PM)

22/5/2022 9:03 AM  #50

Maybe more league games because we have the bank holiday weekend before the 1st round of the fa cup.

24/5/2022 9:08 AM  #51

As far as I'm aware none of the clubs placed in the Southern League Premier Central have appealed against their placement so there are unlikely to be any changes

Premier Division Central
AFC Rushden & Diamonds 
Alvechurch 
Barwell 
BASFORD UNITED 
Bedford Town 
Bromsgrove Sporting 
Coalville Town 
Hednesford Town 
Hitchin Town 
ILKESTON TOWN 
*Kings Langley 
Leiston 
MICKLEOVER 
Needham Market 
Nuneaton Borough 
Redditch United 
Royston Town 
Rushall Olympic 
St Ives Town 
Stourbridge 
Stratford Town 
Tamworth
CAPITAL letters are clubs switched from Northern Premier League 
*Lateral movement

I think we can win this league

Top Ten prediction :
1    Ilkeston Town
2    Tamworth
3    Coalville
4    AFC Rushden & Diamonds
5    Alvechurch
6    Stourbridge
7    Hednesford
8    Royston
9    Leiston
10  Bromsgrove Sporting

Last edited by Matchman (24/5/2022 9:31 AM)

24/5/2022 4:05 PM  #52

It will be interesting to see what odds we are next season.

24/5/2022 4:56 PM  #53

Alex wrote:

It will be interesting to see what odds we are next season.

A friend at work will be looking for me on the odds . But of course if we sign any more really good players like we have done all ready i think we will end up favourites ........5/1 ? 

24/5/2022 5:38 PM  #54

I think we will be 16/1

24/5/2022 7:40 PM  #55

Alex wrote:

I think we will be 16/1

That what i said to my workmate 16/1 , but if you can remember when we got promotion years back i thought the same but ended up second or third favourites because of who we got in . 

25/5/2022 2:21 PM  #56

kevilsonlad wrote:

Alex wrote:

I think we will be 16/1

That what i said to my workmate 16/1 , but if you can remember when we got promotion years back i thought the same but ended up second or third favourites because of who we got in . 

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;                        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;                  ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;                       ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

With each new signing I'm convinvced we can win this league. 
In my opinion it's worth risking a hundred at 16/1

Last edited by Matchman (25/5/2022 2:26 PM)

25/5/2022 3:37 PM  #57

I knew you had got some money!

I was thinking 50p each way

Next season you will be able to bet on every match we play on sky bet

25/5/2022 4:28 PM  #58

Matchman wrote:

kevilsonlad wrote:

Alex wrote:

I think we will be 16/1

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;                        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;                  ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;                       ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

With each new signing I'm convinvced we can win this league. 
In my opinion it's worth risking a hundred at 16/1

my thoughts as well

Board footera