WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/5/2022 5:39 AM  #1

How many more ex Ilkeston players will Mark Clifford take?

Following his signing of Adam Chapman Mark Clifford has struck again.

I'm starting to feel annoyed.

IRVINE SIGNS ON A TWO-YEAR-DEAL
BY MARC WILLIAMS 

Another through the door as preparations step-up...After a productive week, the business under manager Mark Clifford continues and we are delighted to welcome Stern Irvine, who has signed a two-year-contract.Irvine – a central defender - has been on United’s radar for many years after impressing for Notts’ youngsters during their time at Greenwich Avenue and went on to sign a professional contract at under then-manager Neal Ardley. After his release from Meadow Lane, the 19-year-old prospect spent last season at Ilkeston Town. A 6’2” gifted centre half, Irvine is comfortable on the ball, good in the air and is a perfect fit for our first venture to the Southern Premier League, Central Division next season, following the confirmation of allocations. On capturing his signature, Clifford said: “I’m really pleased to capture the services of Stern - he has everything to become a top player. “We will spend the time to nurture him into step 3 football and I’m sure the rest will take care of itself.”

Last edited by Matchman (14/5/2022 7:45 AM)

14/5/2022 5:45 AM  #2

Re: How many more ex Ilkeston players will Mark Clifford take?

MITCHELL TAIT SIGNS NEW CONTRACT WITH UNITED
BY MARC WILLIAMS

Two more years for young full-back...Mitchell Tait has signed his first contract with the club after agreeing a two-year-deal following an impressive six months at Greenwich Avenue. The energetic defender, 20, only joined United back in December from Ilkeston Town but has since endeared himself to the home faithful and has now been deservedly rewarded for his excellent potential and stand-out performances. Featuring eleven times, Tait secured the award for goal of the season with his stunning strike in the 1-1 home draw against South Shields in March. 

He said: “I’m delighted to have signed this new contract at Basford. “The lads are a great bunch and tell me when I’m doing wrong, and they try to help me and also give me credit when I’m doing the things right. “Cliffy has helped me massively, too - inside football and outside of football by always trying to provide me with positivity whether that’s in the dressing room, on the pitch or in my personal life. “I think I did well last season to say it was my first time playing step 3 football,” he added. “I sat on the bench for a couple of months and waited for my chance to prove myself and I feel like I took that chance and did the best I could.“I’ve got a big pre-season ahead and I’ll be training hard - working to strengthen myself and get fitter for the upcoming season. “There’s been a few additions already to the squad and probably a few more to come so things are looking good and hopefully we can hit pre-season hard and put up a promotion fight this season and give the fans what they deserve.”

Manager Mark Clifford said: “We brought Mitch in last year, and I feel we have been able to get the best from him.“He’s another young player with the ability to play a lot higher and I’m excited to see where this journey could take him. It’s really important that our recruitment plan has longevity within, and these are the perfect ages to support that plan moving forward.” Congratulations, Mitch!

14/5/2022 6:50 AM  #3

There used to be a friendly relationship between Ilkeston and Basford but now we're in the same league we have become arch enemies. I admit to being annoyed that Basford have picked up Mitchell Tait, Adam Chapman and Stern Irvine. What we have to remember though, is that if we decided to let them go, then we must have replacements in mind who we consider can do a better job for us. Let's wait and see who comes in. 

It's going to be great playing against Basford home and away next season. ​What a difference there is between the two grounds. One thing is for sure. We will have far greater support at both matches and I can't see Dave and Andy coming out second best.

14/5/2022 2:27 PM  #4

It’s open season. If Ilkeston don’t want em then there’s no point being annoyed when other teams do

14/5/2022 4:42 PM  #5

Dick Durrant wrote:

It’s open season. If Ilkeston don’t want em then there’s no point being annoyed when other teams do

Too true mate .

15/5/2022 7:04 PM  #6

Stern Irvine is a player of massive potential but if he had wanted to stay at Ilkeston Town he could have made it impossible for him to be released by getting super fit and demanding a place with his on field performances. Mitchell Tait is another player who get himself right before he can fulfil his undoubted potential. He strangely did not play for the last few months. Perhaps he was injured! Adam Chapman is another very good player but has had numerous injury issues over the last few years.
We have had our fare share of Ex Basfordians over the last few years. Deeney, Fenton, Carvell, Fabian Smith, Jamie Walker, Jake Wood, James Reid, Watson, Carvell, Billy Bennett  etc etc.
Mark Clifford is likely to sign ex Robins because he will have the same contacts as the management at Ilkeston Town but I believe he has a hard job halting Basford's decline as they were very close to slipping into Step 4. I wish him the best as he did a great job restoring Ilkeston Town after the Hawkins debacle!

Board footera