WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28/6/2022 9:14 AM  #1

Sat 2nd July Pre-season Friendly Ilkeston v Carlton ko 12 noon

We are back on Saturday 2nd July  - 12 o'clock Kick Off

We are back at the Microlise New Manor Ground on Saturday for our pre-season opener against @CTFC1904 
Saturday 2nd July
Carlton Town
Friendly  
Microlise New Manor Ground  DE7 8JF 12:00
£6 Adults, U16s FREE  
#OneTownOneClub  

9:59 am · 28 Jun 2022

Last edited by Matchman (28/6/2022 9:15 AM)

28/6/2022 9:00 PM  #2

Re: Sat 2nd July Pre-season Friendly Ilkeston v Carlton ko 12 noon

cant get to this game as i am away . Will be checking thouigh ( if i get a bloody signal that is ) on my mobile walking up the second highest fell in England ....Scafell .

29/6/2022 12:12 AM  #3

Bloody Judith away again

01/7/2022 4:42 PM  #4

The wait is over - Saturday 2nd July is our first pre-season match day.

Don't forget Ilkeston v Carlton is a 12 o'clock kickoff. Apparently Kimberley MWFC are playing a match at the NMG straight after the Ilkeston game so Ilkeston and Carlton supporters travelling by car should come early to ensure getting a place in the car park. 

If you are away on holiday you are welcome to follow the match updates here on WhiteBall.

Last edited by Matchman (01/7/2022 4:47 PM)

01/7/2022 6:39 PM  #5

Carruthers is ready for action to begin   Jul 1, 2022

Ilkeston Town boss Martin Carruthers says he’s looking forward to the challenge ahead of his side this season as the Robins prepare to get back in action on Saturday.
They host Carlton Town at noon at the Microlise New Manor Ground, just over a month before their debut in the Southern Premier League Central following their title win in the NPL Midlands last season. And although a return to training and action has come a little earlier than Carruthers might have hoped, he’s ready for what lies ahead.

He said: “We initially thought we’d be in the NPL which starts on August 13, so planned accordingly dates-wise, but the SPL starts a week earlier so we’re going into this game without much in the way of training behind us. “It’ll be very much a case of a different team in each half and getting the lads on the way to match sharpness and fitness, which they’re obviously all well short of at the moment.

“Some are only just getting back from holidays given they also planned for a later start to training, so we’ll go easy on them whilst at the same time utilising a match situation to our benefit as opposed to training.”

Carruthers did most – if not all – of his transfer business early in the summer break, with experienced players including striker Chris O’Grady, winger Jamie Ward and centre-half Ben Turner – all of whom have extensive Premier League and/or Championship experience –  being joined by defenders Marshall Willock, Kalern Thomas and Ben O’Hanlon, plus goalkeepers Tomasz Bukowski and Saul Deeney, the latter making his loan deal from Coalville permanent.

Carruthers said: “We’ve got about 19 in the squad now and I doubt there will be any more, although you can never rule anyone out if we find a diamond somewhere and there may be one or two trialists that we’ll have a look at.

“I’m happy we’ve strengthened our squad really well and think we’ll be a lot stronger in certain areas when it comes to depth and certainly when it comes to experience.

“We’ll of course have to manage the older players well, perhaps more so when it comes to the midweek games, but they’re experienced and fit professionals and I’d hope they’ll be able to give us at least 30-35 games all being well.”

By Mark Duffy

02/7/2022 2:28 AM  #6

Cheers mate. For keeping kev judith cross upto date

02/7/2022 8:12 AM  #7

Alex wrote:

Cheers mate. For keeping kev judith cross upto date

Grrrrrrr
Sez he whos not here at least I am in the same country as the game .lol

02/7/2022 9:09 AM  #8

Keep up to date on here lads! I wonder if A.Triallist will make another appearance this pre season. He plays lots of pre season but never seems to get signed on although he must be a good age now as I remember him turning out Mickeover RBL in the early nineties! In fact he's had nearly as many clubs as Messiah MacDonald !

02/7/2022 11:08 AM  #9

It's almost kickoff time  ilkeston have named two sides presumably one for each half. 

This is the Ilkeston starting eleven:

Saul Deeney,

Trialist             Marshall Willock,           Trialist,               Billy Bennett,

Trialist,                     Dan Bradley,               Charlie Wakefield,

Montel Gibson,          Remaye Campbell,           Jamie Ward.

We don't have details of the Carlton players

​Were off .....

Last edited by Matchman (02/7/2022 3:55 PM)

02/7/2022 11:09 AM  #10

After a few wifi problems I'm now online 

Goal for Carlton on 8 minutes

Last edited by Matchman (02/7/2022 11:11 AM)

02/7/2022 11:17 AM  #11

Remaye gets a shot in but its easily saved. Marshall Willock saves Ilkeston with a saving header out for a Carlton corner.Carlton looking dangerous.       0-1    16 mins

02/7/2022 11:26 AM  #12

Again Willock to the rescue following a swift Carlton break. Jamie Ward is looking the pick of the Ilkeston forward line so far.      0-1     25 mins

02/7/2022 11:33 AM  #13

Dan Bradley is seeing plenty of the ball and looking strong.  Ward header from Montel's cross is inches wide.  Trialist No 2 looks decent.  Ilkeston are now on top but still behind            0-1        32 mins

02/7/2022 11:48 AM  #14

Lucky escape for Carlton after defensive mixup. Ilkeston pressing now. Ilkeston header comes back off the bar. Trialist 12 is a big lad and playing well. 
Half time   Ilkeston  0  Carlton 1

Ilkeston have dominated play but Carlton lead.

02/7/2022 12:09 PM  #15

Apologies - Having more Wifi problems
Its a different Ilkeston team out for the second half
We're 10 minutes into second half and its still 0-1

Ilkeston's second half team :

Thomasz Bukowski,

Trialist,          Marshall Willock,                  Trialist,             Ben O'Hanlon,

Jared Bird,                   Alex Troke,               Trialist,

Zak Goodson,                  Chris O'Grady             Ollie Brown-Hill

Last edited by Matchman (02/7/2022 3:51 PM)

02/7/2022 12:17 PM  #16

O'Grady looks a fierce competitor. I'm afraid Carlton are looking the better side up to now.     0-1  60 minutes

02/7/2022 12:23 PM  #17

It's a much poorer second half from Ilkeston's point of view.  Troke shot blocked by defender. That's nearest to a goal this half.     0-1         68 mins

02/7/2022 12:28 PM  #18

Bukowski saves well. No attacking threat from Ilkeston.  Second goal from Carlton Niall Hilton  0-2       74 minutes

Attendance  456  

Last edited by Matchman (02/7/2022 12:31 PM)

02/7/2022 12:34 PM  #19

O'Hanlon is doing his best to get forward down the left. Real Ilkeston chance. O'Grady rolls the ball across the box but nobody there to finish.       0-2    79 mins

02/7/2022 12:43 PM  #20

Ilkeston don't look like scoring. Another Carlton chance but shot goes wide. Carlton are far superior this half. 
0-2      88 mins

02/7/2022 12:51 PM  #21

Full time  :   Ilkeston 0  Carlton  2

That was a really poor second half performance. For me only Ben O'Hanlon came out with any credit.
First half Ilkeston were the better side and unlucky to be behind. 
Clearly, It was the first time thy've played together so things can only improve. 

Last edited by Matchman (02/7/2022 12:52 PM)

02/7/2022 6:05 PM  #22

Robins are beaten in opening friendly   Jul 2, 2022

Ilkeston Town began their pre-season schedule with a 2-0 defeat at home to Carlton Town on Saturday.There were 456 at the New Manor Ground to see the game, Ilkeston’s first since being crowned NPL Midlands champions back in April.
The Robins began on the front foot, forcing some early corners but unable to trouble the Carlton keeper Mike Emery. And on seven minutes it would be the visitors who would take the lead, as Brad Wells was freed in the penalty area and his shot found the net via the hand of Saul Deeney.
Chances were few, as you might expect from an opening friendly, although Jamie Ward volleyed into the side netting on 25 minutes when in space inside the penalty area.Ward was then inches away again moments later, heading Billy Bennett’s cross just past the post when in space 12 yards out.
Ilkeston were having the lion’s share of the attacking play and when a corner wasn’t cleared on 38 minutes, a deep cross found Montel Gibson whose looping header came back off the crossbar and the ball was cleared.
The second-half saw most of the Robins team changed to give valuable early minutes to everyone and to cast an eye over a couple of other trialists being looked at by boss Martin Carruthers.An early second-half chance for Carlton saw former Robin Aaron O’Connor sent clear but he rounded Tomasz Bukowski and found the side netting from a tight angle, albeit with the help of a deflection.With very few chances again being created, it was the visitors who got the second goal on 74 minutes as Niall Hylton was found in the penalty area and finished low into the net.Ilkeston were offering very little in attack, Zak Goodson driving low at the goalkeeper on 85 minutes after cutting inside 25 yards out.And that would be the last opening of the game as the visitors saw things out to take the early pre-season honours.

Ilkeston first-half: Deeney, Trialist, Bennett, Willock, Trialist, Bradley, Wakefield, Trialist, Gibson, Campbell, Ward

Ilkeston second-half: Bukowski, Thomas, O’Hanlon, Trialist, Willock, Bird, Troke, Trialist, Brown-Hill, O’Grady, Goodson

By Mark Duffy

Last edited by Matchman (03/7/2022 7:39 AM)

03/7/2022 9:17 AM  #23

My personal view  

16 of our 19 players took part in the Carlton work out. Missing were Kieran Fenton, Jack Thomas and new signing Ben Turner. 

After only a few training sessions It’s too soon to make snap judgements but the second half team was disappointing and outplayed. 

Ilkeston played well enough in the first half and dominated most of the play. I was pleased with Dan Bradley’s contribution and I thought Jamie Ward and Montel Gibson looked full of confidence. In my opinion, trialists number 2 and 12 performed okay. Of the new players I thought Marshall Willock who played in each half looked a decent prospect.  

The second half team never got going and were given a lesson by the superior Carlton side. I thought Ben O’Hanlon gave a good account himself defending well and trying to get forward down the left. 

03/7/2022 11:24 AM  #24

MILLERS KICK OFF WITH A WIN AT ILKESTON
JULY 2, 2022
Carlton Town started their pre season campaign with an impressive 2-0 away win at Ilkeston Town in front of an impressive crowd of over 400 including a reasonable following from Stoke Lane.
Goals for Brad Wells and Niall Hylton secured the win for Carlton in a game where Carlton moved the ball around nicely playing some decent football as they started to blow off the cob webs ahead of next Saturday’s trip to Merthyr Town.

03/7/2022 11:25 AM  #25

I'd agree with most of that John,  not the best start, first run-out of the season though so not the time to be critical. We were the better team in the first half (Ward, Bradley, Bennett, and Trialist 12 in midfield did well) without creating any real clearcut chances; created nothing in the second half. O'Hanlon did look like a good left-back -  I wonder if they'll try Billy Bennett in left midfield (didn't he play in left midfield in the first game at Stamford last season and score a couple of goals?)?

I just know that I'm going to enjoy watching Jamie Ward this season. Getting on a bit now for an outfield player, but his speed of thought, his first touch, his technique, are a joy to watch (bit gobby with it as well you have to say). The problem might be (and you saw the same with O'Grady who showed some nice touches in the second half) is that our other players don't have the same abilities and are often not on the same wavelength. Playing with better players will improve some players though, including Wakefield, Goodson, and Bennett hopefully.

I thought 456 was a heck of a good crowd for the opening preseason friendly.

03/7/2022 9:10 PM  #26

Ilkeston Town FC  @ilkestontown_fc 
Martin Carruthers’ thoughts following yesterday's defeat in our opening pre-season friendly.

https://youtu.be/CRd9mkczZf4

Board footera