WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/7/2022 7:17 PM  #1

Cost of away travel 2022-23

As expected the cost of hiring coaches for away travel has increased significantly. 
Zane has calculated that cost per head to cover all matches is £17 per person. This is a significant increase but it is made worse because up until now we have kept prices to an absolute minimum instead of making small increases each year. Anyway, the Supporters Group needs to break even so we have to decide the fairest way to charge our valued away travellers.
Do we charge a flat rate for every trip or do we charge according to distance?
If we were to charge £17 for every trip then I don't think many would use the coach to Basford and Mickleover as they could drive there themselves at a cheaper cost.
Charging a different price for each journey depending on distance is fair but is not something travellers are used to.
Something in between would be to split the journeys into groups
There are 2 short journeys 
There are 11 journeys in the West Midland area
There are 8 longer journeys

Charging £17 forevery journey costs the traveller (21 matches x £17 ) ie     £357

The below charges work out nearly the same as charging £17 for each journey 

2 x Local trips : (Mickleover and Basford ) @£10
11 x West Midlands area trips : (Alvechurch, Barwell, Bromsgrove, Coalville, Hednesford, Nuneaton, Redditch, Rushall, Stourbridge, Stratford and Tamworth) @£16
8 x Longer trips : Leiston, Needham Market, Kings Langley, Rushden, Hitchin, Royston, Bedford and St Ives) @£20

2 x Local trips @ £10               =   £  20
11 x W. Mids area trips @ £16 =   £176
8 x Longer trips @ £20            =    £160
TOTAL                                           £356

Last edited by Matchman (12/7/2022 6:17 AM)

12/7/2022 9:57 PM  #2

Re: Cost of away travel 2022-23

According to the internet the average cost of a car in petrol is 20p a mile. If you travel to all games in the league next season you will cover a total of 2,660 miles which will cost £533. You could fill your car with passengers who all pay towards the petrol and you will maybe match the bus but one of you will not be able to have a drink!! Seems using the bus is a no brainer!
One in a car £533 a year in petrol alone (no other running costs are counted in this ) -  No drink!
Bus £365 a year -  Loads of drink!!! or just a shandy but no sat nav headaches or drivers cramp!!

PS I hope my Maths are correct. If not feel free to correct me!

Board footera