WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/7/2022 9:41 AM  #1

Kimberley MW v Ilkeston Town - Sat 16 July (Pre-season friendly)

All being well, updates as usual this afternoon.  Kickoff 3pm

16/7/2022 1:29 PM  #2

Re: Kimberley MW v Ilkeston Town - Sat 16 July (Pre-season friendly)

We're at the ground and it's roasting. Not a cloud in site.

Managed to get a seat in the small stand behind the goal

The pitch has a side to side slope but otherwise it looks nice and flat.

30 minutes to kickoff

Last edited by Matchman (17/7/2022 9:01 PM)

16/7/2022 2:01 PM  #3

1 Deeney, 2 Bennett, 3 o'Hanlon. 4 Bradley. 5 Turner, 6 Fenton,  7 J Thomas, 8 Willock, 9 Goodson, 10 Troke, 11 Wakefield.
12 Bird, 14 Brown-Hill,, 15 Tom Hilton, 16 Montel Gibson, 18 Remaye Campbell, 19 Tremere Jack, 
No numbers : Harvey (gk), O'Grady, Kalern Thomas.

Last edited by Matchman (16/7/2022 7:39 PM)

16/7/2022 2:11 PM  #4

Ilkeston attacking my end.  One chance each so far. Corner to ilkeston ended with a goalmouth scramble which Kimberley eventually cleared.     A Kimberley break caused Deeney to save      0-0       9 mins

16/7/2022 2:17 PM  #5

It's a fast start and fairly even so far. Good Ilkeston move ends with Wakefield firing wide. Strong run by Willock but he's penalised.  Jack Thomas tries his luck but his shot is well over the bar.      0-0      16 mins

Last edited by Matchman (16/7/2022 5:05 PM)

16/7/2022 2:24 PM  #6

Great cross by Bennett but keeper collects. Kimberley's play seems hurried whereas Ilkeston are more composed. Zak is felled in the area but ref says no foul.   Drinks break      0-0       23 mins

16/7/2022 2:30 PM  #7

Chance for Kimberley but the finish doesn't match the move and Deeney saves easily. Another comfortable Deeney save then great possession by Ilkeston as they queue up to get a shot in.  Eventually O'Hanlon's cross shot drifts just wide.       0-0     30 mins

Last edited by Matchman (16/7/2022 5:06 PM)

16/7/2022 2:35 PM  #8

Really impressed with O'Hanlon  so far . Montel is on and he scores a top corner cracker.  
Kimberley keeper looks decent but he ain't stopping that one.     1-0       35 mins                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Last edited by Matchman (16/7/2022 2:37 PM)

16/7/2022 2:42 PM  #9

Gibson sends Bennett away but his cross is cut out by Kimberley keeper.   1-0        41 mins

16/7/2022 2:48 PM  #10

Fenton shot takes a deflection for a corner. Another big scramble when the corner comes in but Kimberley clear. Gibson crosses to Brown-Hill whose shot is saved. 
Kimberley equalise following a good break in first half added time. 
Ilkeston have been the better side but at half time its 1-1

16/7/2022 3:04 PM  #11

Second half is underway

16/7/2022 3:08 PM  #12

Ilkeston ahead with a header.    2-1       47 mins.
I'm behind the other goal so not sure of the scorer. I'm told it was Gibson.

16/7/2022 3:16 PM  #13

Good collect by Deeney from a rare Kimberley attack. Free kick Kimberley in good position . No 5 whacks in an equaliser from close range when the ball comes across        2-2      56 mins

Last edited by Matchman (16/7/2022 3:17 PM)

16/7/2022 3:21 PM  #14

Kimberley header goes over as the hosts are lifted by their equaliser. Great full length save by Deeney. This is a good spell for Kimberley.        2-2      62 minutes

16/7/2022 3:27 PM  #15

Great saving tackle by O'Hanlon. Great save by Kimberley keeper from Goodson.  Ball is in Kimberley's net but it's disallowed for foul on keeper.     Drinks break         2-2      67 minutes

16/7/2022 3:36 PM  #16

Ilkeston are now back in control and pressing. Most of the possession and attacking play is by Ilkeston at the far end but no end product yet          2-2     76 minutes

16/7/2022 3:42 PM  #17

Great charging run by O'Hanlon earns a corner. Kimberley survive the corner. Nice Ilkeston move ends with a good block by the Kimberley keeper. Gibson races forward and fires just wide.         2-2        83 minutes

Last edited by Matchman (16/7/2022 5:09 PM)

16/7/2022 3:48 PM  #18

Another fine save by Kimberley keeper.  O'Hanlon appears to be brought down surging forward but nothing given. Chance for Brown-Hill but his effort is blocked by a defender.  Ilkeston are pushing for a winner but Keeper stands in their way.       2-2        88 minutes

16/7/2022 3:57 PM  #19

Ben Turner has just left the field. Had a good game. Always seemed to have time on the ball and good distribution.

Its a penalty for Ilkeston.  It was an obvious trip  Ref couldn't refuse that one.    GOAL.        3-2       90 minutes.  And the ref blows for time.   Montel Gibson hat-trick

Result :  Kimberley MW  2  Ilkeston Town  3

16/7/2022 9:08 PM  #20

It took a late penalty to win the game and as against Heanor we conceded two goals. But we always looked a class above our opponents in skill and composure. Gibson’s hat-trick gives him six pre-season goals so far.

This afternoons match was a good test on a hard and dry pitch against enthusiastic "up for it" opponents.  Lots of changes were made during the game on a really warm day as Martin Carruthers looks for his best team. For me the standout player in this match was left wing back, Ben O'Hanlon. He looks a really good acquisition, strong, fast and skilful. I think Carruthers may agree because he has switched Billy Bennett over to right back. It was the first time I've seen Ben Turner and he had a solid game. It's going to be a tough choice for who wears the Number 5 shirt, him or Marshall Willock.  No Jamie Ward today but him and Gibson look certain starters. With Ollie Brown-Hill pushing hard for a place, Wakefield and Bird could be pushed out. Goodson may also find himself on the bench after a quiet pre-season so far.

17/7/2022 10:12 AM  #21

Kimberley Miners Welfare 2
No11 46’
No5  57'

Ilkeston Town 3
Gibson 34' 48’  93’pen

Attendance 312

Ilkeston Town crossed over the county border to beat Kimberley Miners Welfare 3-2 in their third pre season friendly. Ilkeston were made to work hard for their victory by a stubborn Kimberley who twice came from behind. The Robin’s hero was Montel Gibson who scored a hat trick after coming as a thirty-minute substitute.

The Robins started the game brightly in the sweltering conditions at a packed Stag Ground. The crowd of 312was the second highest ever for the Miners at their present home. Ilkeston controlled possession from the kick off and with their fluent passing movement they looked to be over powering the hosts. Despite this domination Ilkeston were finding it difficult to create clear-cut chances against a resolute Kimberley defence. The home side did however have the occasional break away in the opening half hour but Saul Deeney in the Robins saved each effort comfortably.

The game changed after Ilkeston made their first batch of substitutions after 32 minutes. Gibson was played through and scored with a vicious shot in to the left hand corner of the net to give Ilkeston the lead. Gibson had yet another effort minutes later that was well saved by the Kimberley keeper and he then set up Ollie Brown-Hill who strike was well saved by the by the hosts custodian. As we approached half time Kimberley finally broke out of defence and scored after some fine inter passing to make the game level at the break.
After half time Ilkeston continued to press forward and it was no surprise when Gibson swooped at the far post to score with a well-placed header. However again Ilkeston let their lead slip from their grasp on 57 minutes when the Kimberley No5 volleyed home from close range after the Robin failed to clear their lines. The hosts then had a chance to go in to the lead but the header went just over.

Ilkeston got stronger as the game progressed however and Kimberley appeared to be wilting somewhat in the heat. Remay Campbell, Brown-Hill and Gibson all had shots that went close. Despite this on 84 minutes  Kimberley almost took the lead when their no16 was put clear but he fluffed his lines and dragged his weak effort well wide.

The host were made to rue this missed chance when well into added time Brown-Hill again surged into the box and was bought down giving Ilkeston a penalty and a the chance to win the game. Gibson stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way from the spot and claim his hat trick.

The 3-2 scoreline did not reflect Ilkeston’s domination of possession and without the brilliance the Kimberley keeper the Robins could have won by a much greater margin. Stand out performers were Gibson who showed a ruthless streak in scoring his hat trick. Brown-Hill was yet again a major attacking threat down the right. New signing Ben Turner looked solid at the back and Ben O’Hanlon yet again looked to be a class act down the left.

Ilkeston entertain Shepshed Dynamo on Wednesday night  for what should a much stiffer test than their last previous pre season games. The Robins will still be smarting from their surprise 4-2 defeat to Shepshed at the end of last season. Overall the pre season appears to be progressing smoothly and with a number of players still to return from injury Ilkeston will be looking to give more players valuable game time.

Ilkseton Town Line up:- Deeney, Bennett, O’Hanlon, Bradley, Turner, Fenton, Thomas J, Wakefield, Gibson. Troke and Willock. Subs Bird, Brown-Hill, Triallist, Gibson, Campbell and Triallist. 

17/7/2022 5:11 PM  #22

Go on then ill start it off.

If i was MC i would be bitterly disappointed with that performance. Yes it was very hot, yes the pitch wasnt great but a part from montel gibson( who is going to score goals for fun this year) we look like a step 6 team.

The back 3 haven't got any legs our keeper will need to be on his toes this season.

Must say OBH had a very good game

17/7/2022 7:44 PM  #23

Another poor performance. Missed the Melton game, but the only 2 that have come out with credit in the games I've seen are O'Hanlon and Gibson.

Fenton's got good technical skill, and it looks like Turner and Willock have as well, but none of them have any pace. All 3 are slow. Not only that, but 3 in front of them (Bradley, Bird, Thomas) also don't have any pace.  Anyone remember that midweek away game at Newcastle Town 2/3 years ago when their speedy forward ripped our defence to shreds? I've got horrible visions of this happening often this season. Hope I'm wrong.

17/7/2022 9:56 PM  #24

Wasnt that before we played hartlepool Nick? I remember that night

17/7/2022 10:21 PM  #25

Sorry gents its pre season and I thought we played OK! The result is irrelevant its about getting fit and not picking up injuries. I thought Kimberley like Heanor were plucky fighters raising their game against classier opposition. The pitch was slightly better than Heanor but the refereeing was of the same poor standard. I do however agree with what you say about Montel. He is a class act who can do things other players only dream about. O'Hanlon looks a very good signing and Ollie Brown-Hill is definitely up for it so far. He has won three penalties and possibly could have had even more. I think that the Shepshed game will give us a better idea of where we are. I think the midfield have been steady and Wakefield and Thomas can certainly move, Bradley does not have to move very fast because he has some much time on the ball. I think Shepshed are likely to come out and try and play football unlike our last three opponents who have all looked to avoid a heavy defeat whilst putting their mark on a few of our players.
If I find I am wrong after Wednesday I will just claim somebody hacked this site and made it all up!

18/7/2022 6:00 AM  #26

I think last season Ollie was late joining pre-season. As a consequence, fitness wise, he was behind the others and he couldn't' catch up by the time the season started. This season he was determined not to let that happen again and I think he knew he would have to be at his very best to get a starting place. With the new signings, his chances of selection looked in doubt but full credit to him for the way he's competed so far. Another thing in Ollie Brown-Hill's favour is his versatility. He can play in several positions. The way he has played so far he deserves to be in the team.
I've always been a big fan of Billy Bennett and now we have another good attacking wing back in Ben O'Hanlon who has really impressed. He's strong, quick and skilful. 
Trowell Nicky has a point about our central defenders not having a lot of pace but if if the players are experienced and good enough they can make up for that deficiency.  We have some big defenders now and big usually means not quick. Saturday was the first time I've seen Ben Turner and I was impressed with his composure and distribution. We have real competition for places in central defence with Ben Turner, Kieran Fenton, Dan Bradley, Marshall Willock and Kalern Thomas in contention.
It's the same in midfield and up front with Carruthers having several options. I think only Montel Gibson and the experienced Jamie Ward are certain starters. Gibson is class and I expect him to hit twenty plus goals. I like wide players in the team and Ward is that as well as a proven goalscorer. 
There’s still four pre-season matches to come and they’re against tougher opposition so there’s plenty of opportunity for players to stake their claim before the big kickoff at Tamworth. 

18/7/2022 9:41 AM  #27

MC clearly not happy with that performance either …

https://youtu.be/GGXVQtZ7IjY

Interesting that he plans to play his strongest side in the last 2 or 3 games to give them 90 minutes. I’d love to know what he thinks his strongest side is. 2 of Fenton, Willock and Turner or all 3 with wing-backs? Has the new right-back (Thomas is it?) played a game yet?

Yes, it was Alex. Newcastle Town away on Tuesday, 20th October 2020 (lost 4-1) and Hartlepool at home 4 days later in the FA Cup (lost 6-0). You've got a better memory than I have!

Last edited by Trowell Nicky (18/7/2022 9:43 AM)

18/7/2022 1:21 PM  #28

Thomas picked up an injury but was there on Saturday kitted up. To be fair it was the first time Ilkeston had played three at the back this season and I presume it was experiment to see how the attacking wing backs faired. When I last step three football I noticed straight away how physical it was. There appeared to be a lack of flair but very big and strong players. It did all seem a bit dour! It could be that the Southern League is different though. As far as team selection is concerned to have too many good players to pick from is better than being stretched in certain departments. Saying that I would like not be the one who has to tell players that they are not in the starting eleven or even not in the squad at all!

18/7/2022 6:46 PM  #29

With the wing backs system. How you going to have gibson, ward and Goodson in the same team? It not work.

The only time it will work is if we play 4-4-2

18/7/2022 7:00 PM  #30

i am not saying owt 

Board footera