WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/12/2016 3:11 PM  #1

Ilkeston v Grantham Updates

0-2 after nine minutes! Dreadful start!

03/12/2016 3:35 PM  #2

Re: Ilkeston v Grantham Updates

34 minutes gone Ilkeston settling down a bit now! Still 0-2!

03/12/2016 3:55 PM  #3

Half Time 0-2 Horrible start but Ilkeston got more in to the game towards half-time with a few half chances!

03/12/2016 4:05 PM  #4

Clarke on for Gamblenn at half time!

03/12/2016 4:17 PM  #5

0-3 Walters of!

03/12/2016 4:27 PM  #6

Meakin on for Goddard

03/12/2016 4:29 PM  #7

Snaps on for Thornberry!

03/12/2016 4:32 PM  #8

Art 373

03/12/2016 6:43 PM  #9

Final Score Ilkeston 0 Grantham 3

03/12/2016 8:16 PM  #10

In my opinion this was a poor effort from Ilkeston's young players. The first ten minutes was embarrassing as Grantham ran rings round us, scored twice and could have had more. Eventually we settled down and reached half time without conceding again but we needed to score the next goal to have any chance of saving the game.  We did this but unfortunately the goal by Connor Walters was in his own net and that was the end of the game as a contest. Ilkeston never looked like scoring at the right end and the Grantham keeper didn't have to make a save.  From Grantham's point of view it was a pleasing performance with ex-Ilkeston players, Luke Shaw and Ellis Storey both impressive. 

03/12/2016 9:23 PM  #11

Yes an awful start! Ilkeston did settle and started to get back into the game before half time without unduly troubling the Grantham goal. The unfortunate own goal by Walters finished the game as a contest and to be frank the Robins looked a bit dispirited towards the end.
What a difference from last week when Ilkeston's short sharp passing matched the table topping Whitby Town. This week against an ordinary Grantham side Ilkeston struggled to string passes together. Balls were hit in to the channels where Lavell-Moore found himself isolated out wide with nobody to cross to in the box. To be honest the Robins huffed and puffed but never looked like scoring.
On Tuesday Ilkeston entertain Matlock in the Derbyshire Senior Cup hoping to get a lift after a very poor performance today. If they don't they will be knocked out of their last cup competition and have to concentrate on staying in the Premier Dvision of the Northern Premier League. One thing is for sure, it could be a long hard winter for the Robins!
Ilkeston Line up:- Durrant, Walters, Gamblenn (Clarke 46), Gordon, Baker, Bather, Rose, Thornberry (Scanlon 70), Lavelle-Moore, Morris, Goddard (Meakin 68) subs not used Tyrell and Hannis.
Grantham Line up:- Preston, Wildin, Storey, Batchelor, Purcicoe, Meadows (Wright 75), Clifton, Lewis (c) (Hollingsworth 67), Barcelos (Dasaolu 70), Shaw Lee, Shaw Luke. subs not used Burrows and Callow.
Grantham include the Ex Robins in their squad Luke Shaw, Ellis Storey and Curtis Burrows.

04/12/2016 1:05 PM  #12

An irate parent had a go at Nigel and Andrew during the game yesterday. It was an example of the frustration which built up in a game when we started badly and didn't get any better. What a difference a week makes. Last week the same set of players were applauded off the pitch after a commendable performance against top of the league Whitby. Yesterday they just couldn't get into gear. That has to be one of the poorest performances by an Ilkeston team for a long time. Who is to blame? In the eyes of some supporters, If the team plays well it's all credit to the team but If the team plays badly it's Nigel Harrop's fault. Paul Holland put out what he considered to be his best team available for the game.  In my opinion the players have to accept responsibility for an inept performance and lack of desire to win. The young lads have been given a golden opportunity to show how good they are and yesterday they let themselves down. Hopefully this will be a one off and performances like in the Whitby game will return. They certainly need to or we will be fighting to avoid relegation.

04/12/2016 6:27 PM  #13

I think you are being a bit hard on a young and inexperienced side! The tactics yesterday did not work but with the squad we have at the moment there may be little room for change. Personally I think we look at our best when we are passing to feet and aiming to dominate possession. We should have one of the fittest squads in the league as they are full time. Surely we must try and capitalise on any advantage we have if we are to avoid relegation.
As for the overall situation at the club I think it is depressing! The glimmer of light has always been the Che money! I believe it is what happens when that money eventually arrives which will determine the future of this club. Behind the scenes the club is being run by many people who have made great sacrifices to keep this club afloat! Whatever happens we must not forget those who have done their best to succeed! Who is to blame will be irrelevant if we don't have a club to watch!
I wish I knew what the answer to all our woes was! Unfortunately I don't!

04/12/2016 8:36 PM  #14

What a ridiculous response on the other forum. What was so wrong about saying players have to accept some responsibility for a poor performance and disappointing defeat. They are the ones on the pitch. The same players performed admirably the week before against a better team and they received deserved acclaim. If you take the credit for a good performance then you have to be prepared to take some criticism when it's not so good. Unlike many supporters, I actually think that these players are good enough to climb the table given time. 

06/12/2016 9:01 PM  #15

WhiteBallProject wrote:

What a difference from last week when Ilkeston's short sharp passing matched the table topping Whitby Town. This week against an ordinary Grantham side Ilkeston struggled to string passes together.

4 October 2016: Grantham Town 2 Whitby Town 0
22 November 2016: Whitby Town 0 Grantham Town 2

08/12/2016 6:33 AM  #16

I didn't realise that Grantham had already played and beaten Whitby twice. One had to be  impressed with Grantham's attitude and performance. They made us look very poor. I think the difference between Grantham and Whitby was commitment. Whitby came came expecting to win whereas Grantham came determined to win.

08/12/2016 8:46 AM  #17

Good point! Shows that playing a lovely passing game does not mean your going to win against every team! Personally I thought Hednesford were the best team I've seen at the NMG this season but they are not winning every week! I think at the end of the season  there will Blyth, Spennymoor and A N Other challenging for the title! Probably going to be miles  out as usual!
I will try to do more analysing Mr Analyst!

Last edited by WhiteBallProject (08/12/2016 10:53 AM)

Board footera