WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15/12/2022 6:30 PM  #1

Matlock appoint Carruthers and Hallcro

Carruthers appointed Gladiators first-team boss
Posted on 15 December 2022

Matlock Town have appointed former Basford United and Ilkeston Town boss Martin Carruthers as their new manager. The 50 year old is the third occupant of the Gladiators hot seat this campaign after Paul Phillips left by mutual consent in September and then last week his replacement, former Boston United boss Craig Elliott moved to Matlock’s National League North neighbours Buxton. He will be assisted by Wayne Hallcro who has extensive managerial experience both as a number one and an assistant at various East Midlands clubs including Belper Town, Ilkeston Town, Grantham Town and Stamford.Born in Nottingham, Carruthers was a striker who began his playing career in the top flight with Aston Villa, making six first team appearances between 1990 and 1993. After a loan spell at Hull City where he netted six goals in sixteen appearances, he joined Stoke City playing 119 first team games and scoring twenty goals between 1993 and 1997.The rest of his career was spent in Leagues One and Two at Peterborough United, York City, Darlington, Southend United, Scunthorpe United, Macclesfield Town, Boston United, Lincoln City and Cambridge United. In all he made 503 appearances netting 133 goals.His non league career began at Grantham Town and then Ilkeston Town where he was named as player/assistant manager in 2006.He was joint manager at Arnold Town with former Middlesbrough striker Chris Freestone before signing for Basford United as a player in 2012 and becoming player manager in 2013 .After six years at Greenwich Avenue when Basford rose from the East Midlands Football League to the NPL Premier Division, he went to Quorn as manager but after six months he returned to Ilkeston as head coach, leading the Robins to the Northern Premier Midlands Division title last season. Carruthers left the New Manor Ground by mutual consent in September 2022, ironically his final game in charge of Ilkeston was their 2-0 FA Cup win at the Proctor Cars Stadium.
Matlock Chairman Jay Beaumont is excited at the prospect of having Carruthers at the helm. “I’m delighted that Martin has accepted our offer to become manager of our great club. From the very first telephone conversation we had it was evident that he was excited by our club and the opportunity to lead it for us. When we told him he had got the job his reaction was once again one of excitement”. Mr Beaumont feels that Carruthers’ appetite for the job and his all round character will stand him in good stead. I’m sure Martin’s infectious enthusiasm will prove to be a hit with our players and our supporters alike. I’m really looking forward to working with Martin to achieve all that we can.”
Carruthers’ first game in charge is likely to be the Boxing Day home derby with Belper Town. The Gladiators are due at Stalybridge Celtic on Saturday but the continuing freezing conditions suggest that the fixture is in grave doubt of being on. If Matlock do play on Saturday, goalkeeper coach Steve Shuttleworth and skipper Ryan Qualter will take charge of team affairs with Carruthers watching from the stand. There had been a good number of applicants for the post.“I’d like to thank the many applicants who took the time to apply for our manager’s position, plus everyone around me who have put in many hours offering their support and help during the past few days, including Steve Shuttleworth and Ryan Qualter who have stepped in to arrange training, generally being there for the squad and preparing us for this weekend’s game should it be played.”

Ian Richardson

Photo credit - Craig Lamont

Board footera