WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/2/2023 11:02 AM  #1

Playoffs

It's all ifs and buts and maybes, but while it's possibility you have to consider these things. I think the only team we can catch is Rushall Olympic. They've got 12 league games left (like us), but with a real imbalance - 4 at home and 8 away. And 3 of those away games are Ilkeston, Leiston, and Coalville. If they lose at Alvechurch on Tuesday and we beat them next Saturday, we'll be 8 points behind them with a game in hand. As our new youngsters start to settle and flourish, there's nothing to stop us going on a good run, and maybe it's time for Rushall to hit a sticky patch. Who knows.

Maybe a daft thing to say and consider, but maybe promotion wouldn't be the best idea for us this season? Do we have a settled, balanced, stable side that's ready for a stab at a higher league? Would a 'consolidation' season be a better thing for us this season, and build again next season? Or are you never really ready, and if any chance comes along you grab it with both hands?

19/2/2023 11:20 AM  #2

Re: Playoffs

I say grab with both hands and lets have a go at it.

If we dont make the playoffs its still been a great season

19/2/2023 11:57 AM  #3

Glad you posted that Nicky. I'm often accused of being too optimistic. 
I had also looked at Rushall's remaining fixtures and thought that we still have a tiny chance of catching them. Everything depends on next Saturday's match. We have to win it or the playoffs are gone. Of course we have to win nearly all of our other matches but if we start a winning run, confidence soars and the possibility is there. The new players will get better as they get to know each other. The two Scunthorpe lads O'Malley and Hallam are decent as is Dixon. I don't know how long we've got Delap for but he was brilliant yesterday. We've now also got a goalscorer in Lita which makes a massive difference to results and if we did manage to sneak into the playoffs we would be the team with that vital momentum.

19/2/2023 4:07 PM  #4

I think Trowell Nicky is unfortunately correct in that as a club we are not ready for life at Step 2. Our infrastructure needs to be refined and developed before we can make the jump in standards. I think we are on the right lines but last season even at step four we came across as enthusiastic but sometimes as not well organised as we need to be. Ilkeston fans are used to winning things but long term they made need to settle for consolidation for the time being.

19/2/2023 5:05 PM  #5

One reason why I would like to give promotion our best shot this season is that we could find ourselves moved to the Northern Premier next season and I think it would be much harder to get promoted from that league. 

19/2/2023 5:50 PM  #6

One part of me saying yeah keep going and try for the paly off`s but that`s only normal if you still have a chance , and we do. But the other part of me is saying i wouldn`t want promotion especially what with Dave going i think it would be better for the club to re group. The most important thing for me is for the club to be financially stable for the future and if that means to stay in this league i am all for it . 
   We are in a transition with the playing staff now to get the wage structure down i would have thought so Nally and co have a massive job on . The fans have to do their bit as well in helping the club out in any way they can no matter how small even its just bringing a friend or family member down to a game . 

20/2/2023 7:47 PM  #7

Most people think that the automatic promotion place is between Tamworth and Leiston but Coalville, with games in hand, can over take them both.

Southern League Premier Central - Top Half

P   
W   D   L    F    A    +/-   Pts
Tamworth                 32   20   7   5   76   34   42    67
Leiston                     29   18   8   3   69   35   34    62
Nuneaton Borough  30   17   8   5   49   30   19    59
Rushall Olympic      30   17   5   8   56   37   19    56
Coalville Town         26   16   6   4   62   30   32    54
Mickleover               31   14   6  11  59   54     5    48
Ilkeston Town          30   12   9    9  54   42   12    45
Royston Town          31   12   8  11  50   59    -9    44
Redditch United       29   12   7  10  47   45     2    43
10 Hitchin Town          32   11   9   12  41   53   -12   42
11 Stourbridge            28   10  11    7  44   31    13    41

Last edited by Matchman (20/2/2023 7:54 PM)

Board footera