WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/3/2023 4:43 PM  #31

Re: Sat 11 March - Ilkeston v Needham Market - Ko 3pm

GOAL   That Man LITA back heels the equaliser.  What a player!         3-3    85 mins

11/3/2023 4:49 PM  #32

Needham shot flies by the post. Lita header is turned round the post.   Ilkeston pen appeal but only a corner. Great save by Garnham.  Ilkeston piling on pressure for a late winner.           3-3      89 mins

Last edited by Matchman (11/3/2023 10:24 PM)

11/3/2023 4:49 PM  #33

Updates 11th  March 2023

Southern League Central Premier
Basford United 0 Barwell 3
Bromsgrove Sporting 0 Coalville Town 3
Ilkeston Town 3 Needham Market 3
   Fenton for Ilkeston 11’
   Needham equalize 19’
   Hallam restores lead for Ilkeston 23’
   Needham equalise again from the spot 28’
   Needham go in front on 61’
   Goal machine Lita equalises on 85’
King’s Langley 2 Redditch United 0
Leiston 1 Stratford Town 0
Royston Town 1 Alvechurch 0
Stourbridge 1 St Ives Town 2

Others
Tottenham Hotspurs 3 Nottingham Forest 1
Oxford United 1 Derby County 3
Chesterfield 1 Yeovil Town 1
Banbury United 1 Buxton 3
Whitby Town 4 Matlock Town 1
Grimsby Borough 2 Grantham Town 0
   Grantham down to ten men
Long Eaton United 2 Bridlington Town 2
   Ex Robin Jamie Walker scores from the spot 49’
   Ex Robin Jack Rogers equalises for Long Eaton 59’
Killingworth 1 Alnwick Town 4 ft

11/3/2023 4:50 PM  #34

4 minutes added time indicated.  

11/3/2023 4:54 PM  #35

Good claim by Foulkes. Patterson comes on   Hallam blasts over from close range.   Lita shot blocked. 

That's full time  :  Ilkeston 3  Needham Market  3   

11/3/2023 4:59 PM  #36

Updates 11th  March 2023

Basford United 0 Barwell 4 ft
Bromsgrove Sporting 0 Coalville Town 4
Ilkeston Town 3 Needham Market 3 ft
   Fenton for Ilkeston 11’
   Needham equalize 19’
King’s Langley 2 Redditch United 0
Leiston 1 Stratford Town 1
Royston Town 1 Alvechurch 0
Stourbridge 2 St Ives Town 2

Others
Tottenham Hotspurs 3 Nottingham Forest 1
Oxford United 2 Derby County 3
Chesterfield 1 Yeovil Town 1
Banbury United 1 Buxton 3 ft
Whitby Town 4 Matlock Town 1 ft
Grimsby Borough 3 Grantham Town 1 ft
   Grantham down to ten men
Long Eaton United 2 Bridlington Town 2 ft
   Ex Robin Jack Rogers equalise for Long Eaton 59’

11/3/2023 5:03 PM  #37

FULL TIMES  11th  March 2023

Basford United 0 Barwell 4 ft
Bromsgrove Sporting 0 Coalville Town 4 ft
Ilkeston Town 3 Needham Market 3 ft
   Fenton for Ilkeston 11’
   Needham equalize 19’
King’s Langley 2 Redditch United 0 ft
Leiston 1 Stratford Town 1 ft
Royston Town 1 Alvechurch 0 ft
Stourbridge 2 St Ives Town 2 ft

Others
Tottenham Hotspurs 3 Nottingham Forest 1 ft
Oxford United 2 Derby County 3 ft
Chesterfield 1 Yeovil Town 1 ft
Banbury United 1 Buxton 3 ft
Whitby Town 4 Matlock Town 1 ft
Grimsby Borough 3 Grantham Town 1 ft
   Grantham down to ten men
Long Eaton United 2 Bridlington Town 2 ft
   Ex Robin Jack Rogers equalise for Long Eaton 59’

11/3/2023 7:54 PM  #38

Today was a decent game with six goals. Needham probably deserved their point for the way they battled but In the end it was the penalty that wasn't which cost us the win.  My colleague next to me said at the time, why was that a penalty when the ball hit him in the face. Jamie Ward confirmed after the match that the ball hit Wilder's face rather than his hand after first hitting his knee. But the ref saw it as a hand so he gave the penalty.
After Lita scored a superb equaliser, we should have won it at the death when Hallam blazed over form six yards.

Last edited by Matchman (11/3/2023 11:06 PM)

11/3/2023 10:57 PM  #39

Today’s results: 
Basford United[/url] 0-4 [url=https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2022-2023/southern-football-league-premier-central-division/basford-united/barwell/426515]Barwell 
Bedford Town[/url] P-P [url=https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2022-2023/southern-football-league-premier-central-division/bedford-town/nuneaton-borough/455247]Nuneaton Borough
Bromsgrove Sporting[/url] 0-4 [url=https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2022-2023/southern-football-league-premier-central-division/bromsgrove-sporting/coalville-town/427477]Coalville Town
Ilkeston Town[/url] 3-3 [url=https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2022-2023/southern-football-league-premier-central-division/ilkeston-town/needham-market/426060]Needham Market
Kings Langley[/url] 2- 0 [url=https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2022-2023/southern-football-league-premier-central-division/kings-langley/redditch-united/455458]Redditch United
Leiston[/url] 1-1 [url=https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2022-2023/southern-football-league-premier-central-division/leiston/stratford-town/426939]Stratford Town
Royston Town[/url] 1-0 [url=https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2022-2023/southern-football-league-premier-central-division/royston-town/alvechurch/426383]Alvechurch
Stourbridge[/url] 2-2 [url=https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2022-2023/southern-football-league-premier-central-division/stourbridge/st-ives-town/426146]St Ives Town 

T
here’s a real battle at the bottom to avoid relegation. Rushden, Hednesford and Bedford look to be doomed but the final spot is far from settled with Kings Langley, Needham and Stratford all picking up points. 
At the top,  Leiston will be disappointed at failing to capitalise on their midweek win over Coalville. Coalville bounced back today with a 4-0 win at Bromsgrove. 
Royston moved within a point of Ilkeston by beating Alvechurch. Stourbridge and Ilkeston appear to be having a private contest to see who can draw the most games, both drawing again today. 
Basford’s heavy defeat at home to Barwell caused Mark Clifford to be sacked.

12/3/2023 11:04 AM  #40

DATE: SAT 11 MAR 2023    BY STEVE WHITNEY

Saturday's Premier Division Central Round-Up
With leaders Tamworth inactive, the chasing pack had the chance to make up ground in the Pitching In Southern League Premier Division Central on Saturday.

Happy Leroy Lita equalises captured by this terrific photo from Ilkeston Town 

Nuneaton Borough, third at start of play, had their game at relegation-threatened Bedford Town postponed – surprisingly the only game to fall foul of a miserable week’s weather.
Second-placed Leiston failed to make the most of their opportunity after being held to a 1-1 home draw by Stratford Town at the Watson & Hillhouse Stadium. Although the Suffolk side extended their unbeaten home record to 18 games in all competitions, they will be kicking themselves after being denied a win, courtesy of Charlie Williams` 93rd minute equaliser for the Bards after Finlay Barnes had put Leiston ahead 8 minutes into the second half.
Coalville Town moved into third place, two points behind Leiston and seven adrift of Tamworth, who have played three games more, after winning 4-0 at the Victoria Ground against mid-table Bromsgrove Sporting. The visitors took an early 7th minute lead with a goal that was eventually given as an own goal by Ayomide Lekuti, although Luke Shaw was claiming it. On 18 minutes, a George Wilson shot was deflected onto the post but Tom McGlinchey was on hand to poke the loose ball home. Three minutes before the break, a good move ended with McGlinchey doubling his tally and making it 3-0 to the Ravens. It got worse for Sporting on 69 minutes when they had Ammar Dyer sent-off for a poor tackle. And in stoppage time, substitute Tendai Chitiza added the visitors` fourth.
Ilkeston Town are seventh, albeit 12 points behind fifth-placed Rushall Olympic, after being pegged back to a 3-3 draw at the Microlise New Manor Ground by Needham Market, who are 18th .Kieren Fenton gave the Robins an 11th minute lead in front of a crowd of over 600. Kyle Hammond pulled the Marketmen back on level terms in the 20th minute with their first real chance of the match. Jordan Hallam’s excellent strike restored Ilkeston’s lead on 24 minutes but just 5 minutes later, the visitors were level again when they were awarded a penalty which Luke Ingram duly converted. Then, 7 minutes after the break, Needham Market had the lead with another neat finish by Hammond, his second of the game. But just as it looked like being `one of those days` for the Robins, veteran striker Leroy Lita once again popped up to rescue them with an 83rd minute leveller.
The bottom three were all inactive, but Kings Langley moved out of the bottom four with a crucial 2-0 win at the Orbital Fasteners Stadium against Redditch United. The hosts took a 39th minute lead when Cain Keller was brought down in the area and Andronicos Georgiou converted the resulting penalty. And Kings confirmed victory when Georgiou grabbed his and his team’s second with 16 minutes remaining, pushing them up to 17th in the table.
Redditch are now tenth after being overtaken by neighbours Stourbridge, who drew 2-2 with St Ives Town at the War Memorial Athletic Ground.It appears to be two home points dropped by the Glassboys. However, they found themselves 2-0 down to goals from Johnny Herd after just 3 minutes and Jonny Edwards in the 14th minute. Jason Cowley started the comeback 6 minutes before the break, but it looked as if Ives were heading back to Cambridgeshire with all three points – until Joe Hull grabbed an equaliser 4 minutes into 8 added on at the end of the game.
Alvechurch have been pulled back towards trouble after losing 1-0 at Garden Walk to a Royston Town side who are now eighth. A Matt Bateman goal after 33 minutes eventually proved enough for the Crows, leaving the visitors in 16th spot, five points in front of fourth-bottom Stratford. It was a good day for Barwell, who extended their unbeaten run to four matches with a comfortable 4-0 win at Greenwich Avenue against Basford United – a result that saw the end of Mark Clifford’s spell in charge of the Nottinghamshire side. Beck-Ray Enoru gave the Canaries an early 7th minute lead that Josh Flanagan added to right on the stroke of half-time.Brady Hickey made it 3-0 on 65 minutes and the icing on the cake was provided by Shaquille Master in stoppage time.

12/3/2023 5:11 PM  #41

Sat 11th Mar 2023
Southern League Premier Central
Ilkeston Town  3  Needham Market  3
This was a game Ilkeston expected to win but relegation threatened Needham deserved their point in a six goal entertaining draw which included a disputed penalty. The Robins are now unbeaten in seven and Leroy Lita made it ten goals in ten games with a brilliant equaliser.
Needham started well and it was soon obvious that they were determined to pull away from the relegation zone. Both teams created chances early on but it was Ilkeston who scored first when Kieran Fenton headed in from Declan Errat-Thompson’s corner on 11 minutes . It could have been 2-0 when Henri Wilder’s cross bounced off the crossbar but Needham hit back to equalise through Kyle Hammond on 19 minutes. Five minutes later Ilkeston regained the lead through Jordan Hallam’s spectacular volley from the edge of the box after being found by Lita. Then came the controversial penalty for Needham. Wilder claimed that the ball deflected from his knee onto his face but the referee felt sure he had handled and pointed to the spot. Ilkeston’s protests were rejected and Luke Ingram took the kick and made it 2-2 on 28 minutes. Both sides continued to push forward but there were no more goals before half time.
Needham started the second half strongly and took the lead for the first time though Hammond again, six minutes in. On the hour player manager Jamie Ward entered the fray in an attempt to get Ilkeston back into the game and he nearly scored following a free kick routine. Hallam did well to create a chance for himself but his shot was blocked. Ilkeston’s pressure finally told when Lita produced a stunning finish from Errat-Thompson’s cross and the Robins could have won it with four late chances. Needham goalkeeper, Marcus Garnham brilliantly turned headers from Fenton and Lita round the post before Hallam blazed over and Lita’s shot was charged down in added time.

12/3/2023 5:22 PM  #42

Nice compliment received yesterday:

Leo Fraser-Bell  @lfraserbell  Replying to @ilkestontown_fc and @needhammktfc  
credit to you, lovely people, amazing ground, great game aswell. good luck for the season  
6:42 pm · 11 Mar 2023

Last edited by Matchman (12/3/2023 5:24 PM)

13/3/2023 6:29 AM  #43

Leo Fraser-Bell  @lfraserbell 
VIDEO!
My vlog from @ilkestontown_fc 3-3 @needhammktfc is up now! 4 of the goals on there, plenty of pre and post match content too, it's by far my BEST video so please give it a watch, it's a banger! 

https://youtu.be/daWy5YhbHnw  

Ben and 7 others 12 Mar 2023 

13/3/2023 11:02 PM  #44

Do you know what. That was one of the best games of football i have seen this season. Both teams went for it.

BUT we also witnessed the worse ref this season. I dont know how both teams scored 6 goals between them.

Im also finding it hard to watch our bad 4. Sorry the lad delap isnt good enough. Please dont give me the hes only a young lad,so was che adams.

How many different players have we used this season?

14/3/2023 7:35 AM  #45

Alex wrote:

Do you know what. That was one of the best games of football i have seen this season. Both teams went for it.

BUT we also witnessed the worse ref this season. I dont know how both teams scored 6 goals between them.

Im also finding it hard to watch our back 4. Sorry the lad delap isnt good enough. Please dont give me the hes only a young lad,so was che adams.

How many different players have we used this season?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Wow Alex
I couldn't  disagree more regarding Finn Delap. I think that he's been brilliant for us. Sure he makes the odd mistake but I've made him man of the match a few times. He's strong in the air and takes always responsibility.
It would be interesting to hear what others think.

Re. the referee - I spoke to the Referee's Assessor at half time about the penalty and he defended the referee's decision. He said it looked like the ball did hit Wilder's hand. 

I get the impression that when referees are being assessed they tend to give 50/50 decisions to the away side because they don't want it look like they're being influenced by the home crowd.  Just my opinion.

I agree that Saturday's match was great entertainment and for that reason I didn't begrudge Needham their point.  
Only two club officials (Chairman and Secretary) were able to make the journey but both were really nice and both were impressed with our ground and facilities. I hope they avoid relegation despite it being a long journey to go there. 
But we may not have to go there anyway if we get moved as most people expect.

If we do get moved to the Northern Premier League, I think that the season we've had in the Southern League has been a great experience.

14/3/2023 1:23 PM  #46

I maintain that we don’t have a good defender at the club. Doesn’t matter whether Finn Delap is 18, 28, or 38, is he good enough at the moment to be a centre-back in a team chasing promotion from Step 3? No, overall, I don’t think he is. He might become a very good centre-back, and I really hope he does; he shows real promise, real potential. Kieran Fenton is a very good footballer, he plays some delightful passes and we all know about his shots on goal. But he isn’t a good defender. Joe Wilson (gone now I know) and Henri Wilder are good footballers, good offensively, but aren’t good defenders – jeez, the number of times they get caught out of position.

Yes, there are mitigating circumstances. You can’t blame the defence in isolation. How many goalkeepers have we had this season? 5? Wilson, Wilder, Delap, and Fenton have played quite a few games together though, you’d hope they’d have developed a better understanding. The midfield also hasn’t been a settled unit and hasn’t shielded the defence as it should do. We haven’t really had a settled side all season and so we haven’t created that understanding in the team with all units working in tandem. And what’s quite concerning is that this summer we need another major rebuild, cos we got the rebuild very wrong last summer.  

14/3/2023 6:54 PM  #47

Just to put this out there. If we had 2 good centre halfs wouldnt it be worth a try and play fenton as a holding midfield.

14/3/2023 6:55 PM  #48

Trowell Nicky wrote:

I maintain that we don’t have a good defender at the club. Doesn’t matter whether Finn Delap is 18, 28, or 38, is he good enough at the moment to be a centre-back in a team chasing promotion from Step 3? No, overall, I don’t think he is. He might become a very good centre-back, and I really hope he does; he shows real promise, real potential. Kieran Fenton is a very good footballer, he plays some delightful passes and we all know about his shots on goal. But he isn’t a good defender. Joe Wilson (gone now I know) and Henri Wilder are good footballers, good offensively, but aren’t good defenders – jeez, the number of times they get caught out of position.

Yes, there are mitigating circumstances. You can’t blame the defence in isolation. How many goalkeepers have we had this season? 5? Wilson, Wilder, Delap, and Fenton have played quite a few games together though, you’d hope they’d have developed a better understanding. The midfield also hasn’t been a settled unit and hasn’t shielded the defence as it should do. We haven’t really had a settled side all season and so we haven’t created that understanding in the team with all units working in tandem. And what’s quite concerning is that this summer we need another major rebuild, cos we got the rebuild very wrong last summer.  

great post!!!!!!!!

15/3/2023 8:10 AM  #49

Trowell Nicky wrote:

Great post Nicky. You win nothing without clean sheets. 6 from 9 ahead of the Chasetown game after which Ghandi changed the keeper. I know I’m biased but since then there can’t have been much more than 6 in total!

Star struck recruitment has been the issue. Gone for names over local lads at great cost financially. Part of the fabric of the club has been ripped out. Loan after loan has come and gone

I’ve said this before but Billy 2 x Charlies Olly Ross Tommy and Stern to name but a few were all deemed not good enough. The club would have been tens of thousands better off and no lower in the table if they’d stick with lads who wanted to be at Ilkeston ahead of journeymen who weren’t bothered which shirt they wore

16/3/2023 8:20 PM  #50

19/3/2023 11:57 AM  #51

Dick Durrant wrote:

Trowell Nicky wrote:

Great post Nicky. You win nothing without clean sheets. 6 from 9 ahead of the Chasetown game after which Ghandi changed the keeper. I know I’m biased but since then there can’t have been much more than 6 in total!

Star struck recruitment has been the issue. Gone for names over local lads at great cost financially. Part of the fabric of the club has been ripped out. Loan after loan has come and gone

I’ve said this before but Billy 2 x Charlies Olly Ross Tommy and Stern to name but a few were all deemed not good enough. The club would have been tens of thousands better off and no lower in the table if they’d stick with lads who wanted to be at Ilkeston ahead of journeymen who weren’t bothered which shirt they wore

Dick, I see Ross has signed for Long Eaton. I would have taken Ross (and Charlie Wakefield) back at Ilkeston in a heartbeat. A top keeper has been available and we're taking youngsters on loan? What's the story? Has he not been approached by Ilkeston? Did he not want to come back to Ilkeston?

Board footera