WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/3/2023 6:55 PM  #1

Mark Clifford

Basford United have sacked manager Mark Clifford after their 4-0 defeat at home To Barwell. Ian Deakin appears to be the fans favourite to take over but if I were Deaks I would stay at Long Eaton as I think Basford are on a downward spiral if they do not get some injections off much needed extra finance. Plus I can see Long Eaton eventually exchanging plzces with Basford in the pyramid.

11/3/2023 10:29 PM  #2

Re: Mark Clifford

We all know Chris Munroe can be ruthless but I didn't see that coming. Expect a new appointment soon.

12/3/2023 12:29 PM  #3

WhiteBallProject wrote:

Basford United have sacked manager Mark Clifford after their 4-0 defeat at home To Barwell. Ian Deakin appears to be the fans favourite to take over but if I were Deaks I would stay at Long Eaton as I think Basford are on a downward spiral if they do not get some injections off much needed extra finance. Plus I can see Long Eaton eventually exchanging plzces with Basford in the pyramid.

Much needed extra finance? Their budget is huge!

Cliffy & Frecks’ sackings were announced while they were having a post match pint in the bar. Classy stuff eh?

Can’t see Deakin going within a million miles of it

12/3/2023 10:40 PM  #4

When I said extra finance I was going down the road of having more than one money man  so the burden of making difficult decisions  does not fall on one man hence less chance of the classy stuff if you get my drift!
I would be very surprised if Deaks touched it but I heard Paul Cox was there on Saturday!

13/3/2023 10:06 AM  #5

DATE: MON 13 MAR 2023    BY STEVE WHITNEY

Management Team Depart Basford
Pitching In Southern League Premier Division Central club Basford United confirmed that, following Saturday’s 4-0 home defeat to Barwell, the management team of Mark Clifford, Dave Frecklington and Wayne Scott had been relieved of their duties.

Mark Clifford 

Clifford initially joined Basford as head coach in November 2021 having recently stepped down as owner and chairman of current league rivals Ilkeston Town. He began his touchline career at Basford in 2015 as under-21 manager before stepping into the role as assistant to Martin Carruthers a year later and holds a UEFA A License.
In January 2022, Steve Chettle swapped his managerial coat for a seat in the director`s box as director of football and Clifford stepped up to take the hot-seat. Clifford, who played for the likes of Mansfield Town, Boston United, Chester City, Stamford and Nuneaton Borough among others, saw Basford finish 20th in the Northern Premier League Premier Division at the end of that 2021/22 season – only avoiding the drop by two points.
However, the summer of 2022 saw the FA re-shuffle place them, along with Mickleover and promoted Ilkeston, into the Southern League. But after a decent start, results have been disappointing, with just one win in their last seven outings, culminating in Clifford and his management team’s departure.

BASFORD UNITED WEB SITE   

16/3/2023 10:51 AM  #6

In my opinion Mark Clifford is touch unlucky to receive the boot. Basford are only just below mid table. Contrast this with Tommy Brookbanks and MarkHarvey at Carlton. They are in danger of relegation but the club have stuck with them and are now getting improved results.
The most successful local manager at the moment is Ian Deakin at Long Eaton. They started badly but an amazing recovery has taken then into the playoff positions.
Martin Carruthers paid the price for poor recruitment at the start of the season and Jamie Ward was then given the opportunity to have a first crack at management. Some supporters have expressed displeasure at Ward’s performance so far while others like the way he wants his team to play. In my opinion, it’s much too soon to make a judgement. As far as I’m concerned he’s made a good start and has a lot going for him. Given time I think he will be successful. As Dave commented he has exceptional contacts which is very useful at our level. Jamie is a honest person but he does need to keep himself in check regarding refereeing decisions. 
I'm looking forward to next season with Ward in charge.

16/3/2023 5:57 PM  #7

As regards the gaffer’s disciplinary record it’s a subject Duffers never brings up with him in the post match interviews, I think he should. Over to you Duffers

Last edited by silverfoxx (16/3/2023 5:58 PM)

Board footera