WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/4/2023 7:31 PM  #1

David Hilton - I have a plan

Very interesting interview with David Hilton yesterday. He's now come off social media because of the abuse he's getting from a minority of so-called fans, and it seems to be mostly Bury fans. Very revealing on the personal front and the figures and the future going forward for Scunny. He says he put in around £3 million to Ilkeston Town, and since buying Scunny he's paid off around £400,000 to the tax man and paid over £450,000 in wages. Crazy amounts he's put in out of his own pocket. He accepts that Scunny will almost certainly be playing in Step 2 next season and clearly big cuts will have to be made at the club.

Have a listen at about 23 minutes cos it's about Ilkeston for the next few minutes. He says Scunny football club will close during the week and this seems to be mainly because they're moving Scunny's training facilities to Ilkeston, and I thought he said that starts next week (might be wrong on that). No academy anymore at Scunny but they are taking on 15-25 released academy students (21-23 year old lads who haven't made it at academies of the top clubs). So I presume these lads will train and be based at Ilkeston until they are taken on by other clubs. Surely can only be good for Ilkeston, both financially and hopefully some of the players will be playing for us. Anyway, it's about 45 minutes long and a very interesting listen.

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2023/april/-player-an-update-from-david-hilton/

02/4/2023 7:57 PM  #2

Re: David Hilton - I have a plan

Yes i listened to it this morning. Very interesting. I think all good for ilkeston

03/4/2023 6:33 AM  #3

Sounds good for Ilkeston! However it looks like Ilkeston will have a step2 club at the NMG all week but then they play their home games 100 miles away. Reading between the lines do Ilkeston Town become a feeder club for Scunthorpe United? Where do the staff base themselves whilst they are at Ilkeston? There are no staff offices at present. Are the 20-23 year olds picked up from academies and proffessional clubs not the same ones Ilkeston are presently trying to attract? I admire Dave's motives in taking on Scunthorpe and I hope he succeeds but its going to be bumpy ride. I would be worried if Scunthorpe United play a "home" game at the NMG!
On a positive note Dave does seem to know what he is doing and everything else he has done has been good for Ilkeston Town Football Club but with our history over the last twenty years you can't help being a bit nervous!

03/4/2023 1:03 PM  #4

yeah i did listen to the very lengthy and very open interview . Only 30% is the playing budget which isnt on he says so some normal staff jobs to go. Clubshop and ticket office mainly open only on match days unless a big match is on. Accounts were going to be submitted but wants his accounts to have look over them as the previous owner has done the accounts .  Academy will go as will only get half the funding next season if?when relegated .  And yes the training facilities arent good enough so closing them down and moving to Ilkeston Town FC . WOW . A regular income for us ????? 
   Very Good interview...

04/4/2023 8:41 AM  #5

BBC Sport Webpage 

Scunthorpe United to train 70 miles away in Ilkeston   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65161791

06/4/2023 12:08 PM  #6

06/4/2023 1:20 PM  #7

yeah seen this earlier . Very weird for Dave to back track .......

11/7/2023 12:40 PM  #8

Where is this going to end up? Former owner Peter Swann is now threatening to kick Scunny out of Glanford Park ...

Scunthorpe owner David Hilton hits back after ex-owner Peter Swann threatens legal action - Fan Banter

13/7/2023 8:14 PM  #9

Civil war makes the National press ...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-scunthorpe-uniteds-owner-battle-30440579.amp

It has this in there ...

Furthermore, if the club was forced to leave the ground, Hilton says he has an agreement signed with a local non-league side to host Iron matches, which he claims has also been approved by the National League.

Couldn't be, could it?

13/7/2023 9:09 PM  #10

Interesting which ground because Gainsborough have said no.

Can't see them traveling to us every other week.

So im going for north ferriby

14/7/2023 6:18 PM  #11

Is it worth looking at the fixtures of Ilkeston , North Ferriby to Scunthorpe because obviously who ever Dave has an agreement with wont be playing at home the same weekend ? Plus are us and North  Ferriby have National league status grounds ? 

14/7/2023 6:37 PM  #12

by the looks of it all three in question are at home the bank holiday August .
Scunthorpe play Scarborough
Ilson play Whitby
North Ferriby play Newton Aycliffe

12/9/2023 9:41 AM  #13

Sounds like The Athletic magazine have done a piece on David, revealing all. Haven't we all made mistakes, don't we all deserve a second chance, a chance to put things right? Sounds like he's in a dark place at the moment, and I just wish him all the best. There's nothing more important than health and family, and if he has to leave football for a while, then sobeit.

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/eastmidlands/news/2075684-former-ilkeston-town-chairman-admits-serving-time-for-fraud

12/9/2023 11:38 AM  #14

Trowell Nicky wrote:

Sounds like The Athletic magazine have done a piece on David, revealing all. Haven't we all made mistakes, don't we all deserve a second chance, a chance to put things right? Sounds like he's in a dark place at the moment, and I just wish him all the best. There's nothing more important than health and family, and if he has to leave football for a while, then sobeit.

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/eastmidlands/news/2075684-former-ilkeston-town-chairman-admits-serving-time-for-fraud

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'

Myself and I'm sure all Ilkeston fans will agree with Trowell Nicky. No one is perfect and there's no one who hasn't made a mistake they didn't regret. Everyone at Ilkeston will wish Dave well and thank him for what he has done for us here at the NMG. 

19/9/2023 8:54 PM  #15

19/9/2023 10:39 PM  #16

You have to ask did Dave not believe that his past would leak out and when it did there would be some negative fall out. I like Dave because he saved Ilkeston Town but I worry about him trying to rescue Scunthorpe. For his own health he needs to get out asap in my opinion as I don’t see it ending well!

20/9/2023 10:16 AM  #17

Couldn’t agree more, how could you ever think that all this wouldn’t eventually come out? He’s been naïve, as he admits himself. Why anyone would want to take over Scunthorpe United in the position the club was in is just beyond me. Not going to be easy finding a buyer, but I hope he does and he gets out with his sanity intact.

28/9/2023 12:08 PM  #18

Another update. David Hilton will not put any more money in and so moving forward they can only spend what they take, he’s under investigation by the FA, 2 more directors gone, and bye-bye Glanford Park hello Gainsborough Trinity …

Club update - News - Scunthorpe United (scunthorpe-united.co.uk)

28/9/2023 2:45 PM  #19

Personally I feel for Dave after all he did for us. I'm sure he went to Scunthorpe with the best intentions but it's all blown up in his face. 

28/9/2023 3:55 PM  #20

Just read the statement . Not good at all.

28/9/2023 4:22 PM  #21

Or is it hello Gainsborough Trinity? Looks like they nothing about it ...

In another twist to the story Gainsborough Trinity have released the following statement;

"Gainsborough Trinity FC are aware of a statement issued today by Scunthorpe United. This statement was issued without the knowledge or consent of Gainsborough Trinity. Whilst the club has always been clear that any requests from Scunthorpe United to play fixtures at the KAL Group Stadium would be considered, this would always have to be done by due process which would involve both clubs and the ground owner."

The club added, "The local SAG (Safety Advisory Group), Police and local authority would also need to issue the appropriate safety certificates, which are not currently in place."

03/10/2023 7:43 PM  #22

Couple of updates ...

They're now reporting that the takeover deal by the fans consortium could be concluded tomorrow. This has happened very quickly.

Jimmy Dean, the manager, underwent urgent spinal surgery yesterday. He is now in recovery after having two vertebrae removed and spinal cord decompression. He's been given a sick note for six weeks.

04/10/2023 6:37 PM  #23

Michelle Harness completes takeover

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67010923

Last edited by Matchman (04/10/2023 6:39 PM)

04/10/2023 8:56 PM  #24

For the sake of Dave’s all round health this is excellent news!

04/10/2023 9:36 PM  #25

Well said mate

19/10/2023 6:13 PM  #26

Too far away to know the truth... but presumably this slighly edited post can be legitimately bolted on to this thread?

The Athletic article about Hilton the other week. A litany of dodgy stuff, summarised as starting and closing many different companies under a range of different pseudonyms.

“An investigation by The Athletic has found that a man we strongly believe to be Hilton was sentenced to two years in prison for 15 counts of fraud by false representation under the name of David Anderson.

In a case that started at Nottingham Crown Court in late 2014, Anderson was also disqualified from being a company director for five years after pleading guilty to 15 charges.

Hilton has made no secret of the fact he was born David White and changed his name to Hilton for unspecified “family reasons”. In fact, until very recently, Hilton still had a Facebook account under the name of David White.

According to Companies House, the government agency that keeps the register of British companies, there are multiple references to David White being a company director up to 2012. Between then and 2014, David Anderson is listed as a director of two different companies. Anderson then disappears and there is no further trace of him anywhere online. Hilton appears as a director of several companies in November 2017 and still has six active directorships.

White, Anderson and Hilton all share the same date of birth: October 9, 1977. A search of UK birth records reveals that a David White was born that day in Nottingham but no David Anderson or David Hilton.

The civil registration birth index also shows that the David White born on October 9, 1977, in Nottingham, later changed his surname to Mellors, another name by which Hilton has been known. David White’s mother’s maiden name is listed as Mellors on his birth certificate.

Companies House documents also show that David White and David Anderson have similar handwriting and signatures. And the address David Anderson gave to the court in 2014, “Forsythia Gardens, Nottingham”, also happens to be where a Kate White, Hilton’s sister, was registered as living at the time.

It is unclear if Hilton complied with the terms of the current non-League owners’ and directors’ test (OADT), overseen by the English Football Association (FA). It must be completed by every owner or director and requires the disclosure of “previous or other names”. Hilton’s form is not publicly available and Hilton did not reply when The Athletic asked if he had disclosed any previous names on the form.

Asked about this and David Anderson’s conviction for fraud, an FA spokesperson said: “We are aware of these serious allegations and are looking into them.”

Board footera