WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/5/2023 2:09 PM  #1

Next Season's Players

Looking at Ilkeston Town's squad at the end of the season we appeared to be a bit short of numbers in certain areas.

In goal we have Harvey Woodward who has waited patiently all season for a chance but did well on his debut against Hitchin. I suspect that the club will however looking for a first choice keeper for next season. There was talk of Ross Durrant returning but maybe that boat have since sailed.

I defence the club will be hoping captain Kieran Fenton will want to stay and they will be looking for a central partner for Fenton who has strength and pace. Declan Errat-Thompson filled in but most pundits believe he will be needed in midfield. The other fun back birth will go to two out of Kozluk, Wilder and Hilton.

In midfield we have the aforementioned Errat-Thompson, Jack Thomas if he decides to stay. Ollie Brown-HIll is popular but may not feel wanted after being loaned out for most of the season. Patterson and Woakes have potential but may lack experience at this level. Jamie Ward is an option but he may be getting to the stage where he wants to concentrate on management.

Up front there appears just two options Remaye Campbell who is rumoured to have been watched by team in the National League and the mercurial Leroy Lita.

Summing up it is clear that the club need strengthening in most areas. Whether the club will depend on loan signings and older "stars" again will be interesting. It is also clear that the spine of the team will need strengthening. A keeper, centre-back, central midfield and another striker. It might be that some players who have been on loan might become available to sign permanently like O'Malley and Hallam at Scunthorpe. I do believe that the club will be spending less on the big wage type of player and aiming for players who are cheaper but on the way up. Whatever happens it could be an interesting close season at the NMG.

05/5/2023 4:25 PM  #2

Re: Next Season's Players

After end of a season I don't think we have ever been so thin on the ground.

Got to give the likes of Fenton, lita, Campbell and Thomas  2 year contracts.

Time to build a team/squad like the manager at Stamford did.

07/5/2023 9:57 AM  #3

Keeper wise I’m not a fan of loans. Sure they’re cheap, but the understanding between keeper and back four cannot cement itself in a month

Kieran Preston at Basford is Derby based. Top class keeper. Not sure of his contract  position though but I’d go for him. See Nuneaton have just released the mercurial Tony Breeden. Mad as a box of frogs and getting on a bit. He’d not come cheap. But wages haven’t worried Ilkeston in the past. The fans would love him but depends on geography I guess. Terrific keeper for Step 3

There’s always Jim Pollard at Matlock too. Carruthers bulleted him for Deeney so he won’t stay as number two

Not quite as good as the other two. But there are plenty of decent keepers out there and the manager will be able to utilise the loan market via his ex pro clubs

Enjoy the summer everyone. All the best to everyone associated with Ilson from The Durrants

07/5/2023 11:10 AM  #4

I spoke about the lad from matlock to JW the other week.

Nothing but good reviews from my friends up at matlock about him

07/5/2023 2:43 PM  #5

Alnwick's keeper Alexander is far too good for this level was on dual registration with Blyth Spartans but was at Bolton Wanderers and played one game in the Football League. However he is at Newcastle University so in no hurry to sign for anyone.

08/5/2023 8:29 PM  #6

I see grimsby have let go Battersby and ilkeston lad Jordan cropper.

09/5/2023 7:42 PM  #7

I see Altrincham have let Zak Goodson and Ben Pringle go

10/5/2023 6:17 PM  #8

Harrison Foulkes let go at Derby

10/5/2023 9:12 PM  #9

So as conner dixon

10/5/2023 9:24 PM  #10

Alex wrote:

So as conner dixon

would have Conner back , good player

11/5/2023 7:07 PM  #11

Looks like there will be a lot of ex Robins are looking for clubs this summer. I wonder how many would be prepared to come back to the NMG

Board footera