WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30/9/2023 5:41 PM  #1

End of September Review

End of September review
I know we have played two games more than most teams but even so to be in 3rd place with 19 points from 11 matches is way beyond pre-season expectations. It was an up and down start winning our first 3 then losing the next 4. We started pre-season with Jamie Ward, then came Gary Hayward and finally came Ian Deakin in quick succession. Many players have come and gone but we now appear to be where we want to be.
We’re only a quarter way through the season but we now have ambitions of at least a top half finish whereas before we kicked a ball, we had fears of relegation. Since Ian Deakin came in there has been the most changes as he brought in the type of player that he wanted and it’s now thought that the squad is much stronger and fitter with healthy competition for places. Deakin started with a defeat against Worksop but since then we’ve beaten Basford, Lancaster and Bamber Bridge and drawn with Macclesfield. We’ve now recruited six of his former players at Long Eaton: Jamie Walker, Luke Cox, Sam Parker, Cieron Keane, L’Varn Brandy and Callum Minkley.
At this point we’ve only played once against half of the teams in the NPL and it could be that the teams we haven’t played against yet are stronger than the ones that we have played against but nevertheless it’s been a very satisfactory start in the eyes of most supporters. Of the eleven teams we have played against; five are currently in the top half of the table and six are currently in the lower half but at this stage in the season the league table changes every week. 
Since Andy Nally took over as Chairman he has won over the fans and must now be the the most popular owner we’ve ever had. Home gates are on the increase and away support is growing.  

01/10/2023 10:53 AM  #2

Re: End of September Review

It's the FA Trophy next week versus Walsall Wood and I'd love a good cup run as we haven't had one for a while and It does now feel that we are capable of doing that. Sometimes things feel right and now is one of those times. It may be that Ian Deakin rests a few players who have been carrying injuries but with respect to Walsall Wood, our squad should be strong enough to get us through to the next round,  
We keep saying every match is a test ,and it is, but the next league match away to table toppers Radcliffe on Sat 14th October is the ultimate test so far. Can't wait for that one. After Radcliffe it's Guiseley at home on Sat 21st October followed by Hyde United away on Tuesday 24th October. Sat 28th October we are scheduled to play Ashton United at home but that game will be replaced by an FA Trophy match if we beat Walsall Wood. 
I don't expect us to still be 3rd in the table at the end of October because the other teams will have caught up their game in hand but hopefully we can remain around the playoff places.

Last edited by Matchman (01/10/2023 10:56 AM)

03/10/2023 11:50 AM  #3

It’s early days in Ian Deakin’s management, but I wonder if what we’re seeing is because of the players he’s inherited or it’s his (and to be Ilkeston Town’s) blueprint – that is, we’re not a sweet footballing side, retaining possession and moving the ball from side to side and back to front, like we’ve seen from Macclesfield, Workshop, and Bamber Bridge recently, but we’re an effective side, that is, we’re good at stopping the other team from scoring, and we find a goal when we need a goal?

Re the spine of the team, it looks like most pieces are in place. Matt Yates is a terrific keeper, I hope he’s with us for a long time. Luke Cox gets better and better each game. Perch just goes about his work quietly, and Anderson and Parker look very promising full-backs (I really like it that their main focus is on doing their main job, which is defending, they concentrate most of their energies on stopping the other team scoring, rather than marauding forward at every opportunity and leaving us open at the back).  We’re better at blocking crosses coming into our box, but also, I’m really enjoying not worrying so much about balls coming into our box when they do.

You’ve got good defensive midfield cover in Errat-Thompson, Dixon, Keane, and Minkley, you’ve got creativity in Wilder, Hallam, Starkie, and Brandy, and you’ve got good wingers in Walker and Goodson (I know Zak pops up with a goal every now and then, be it wonder goal or tap in, I just wish he was involved a bit more in games, he seems to be anonymous a lot of the time).

I wonder if the one piece missing is a ‘big lad up top’? A focus point up front, someone to hold the ball up allowing other players to join an attack. A player good in the air, a player who’ll chip in with 15 goals a season. Is Tyrell Waite that player? I hope so, it’s early days, he had a good first half against Worksop and looked very unlucky to get sent off against Lancaster. So perhaps patience is the answer and he’ll get chance to prove himself.

I know Ian Deakin said at the fans forum it would be a bumpy ride for a while until him and his team got things in place, but I have to say it’s been great fun so far. It seems like there’s a real feel-good factor around the place at the moment, there’s a smile on people’s faces, it feels like we can look forward with some confidence. Long may it continue.

03/10/2023 6:02 PM  #4

Not sure on Brandy & Starkie, Brandy looks and plays like Dempsey Arlott John, went up too many blind alleys last Saturday. Starkie didn’t do much either

03/10/2023 7:26 PM  #5

I think they are better of has subs

05/10/2023 5:56 AM  #6

After August’s ups and downs (3 wins followed by 3 defeats) and the arrival of Ian Deakin as manager, my personal hoped for points haul from September’s five matches was 9 points, (a draw against Worksop, a win against Basford, draws against Lancaster and Macclesfield and a win against Bamber Bridge.) 
We actually picked up 10 points which was better than hoped for, especially after Deakin’s first game loss to Worksop. 

We start October with Walsall Wood in the FA Trophy. I expect us to win that one and if we do then the league match against Ashton United on 28th October will have to be re-sheduled. It could possibly be re-arranged as an evening game in October so I ‘ll leave it in as an expected October fixture.  

So for October’s four league matches  I’m suggesting that five points would be an acceptable return, I expect a defeat at Radcliffe, a win against Guiseley (home) and draws against Hyde United (away) and Ashton United (home)..             

Last edited by Matchman (05/10/2023 6:00 AM)

06/10/2023 11:53 AM  #7

It's still ill early days and there's plenty of time for fortunes to change but I would say Marske and Atherton are certs to be relegated. 
At the top  end of the table my three teams to at least make the playoffs are Macclesfield, Radcliffe and Marine. The other two places in the top five could be taken by Warrington Rylands and Worksop.
It’s too early to predict where Ilkeston might finish because of all the recent changes but we may have a better idea at the end of October.
I don’t expect Ashton to maintain their good start and It’s not too late for Matlock to make a challenge. 

06/10/2023 8:32 PM  #8

Alex... do please note.... Presuambly, for Matchman, it saves a lot of unneccesary posts?
So for October’s four league matches  I’m suggesting that five points would be an acceptable return, I expect a defeat at Radcliffe, a win against Guiseley (home) and draws against Hyde United (away) and Ashton United (home)...
I guess though I had best take this opportunity to ask Mystic Matchman... what I can look forward tomorrow driving-up tomorrow to see Chelt-Derby? I'll take a Chelt goal... and maybe best forget the other number! I'll be making sure to check out your reply - but maybe tomorrow night!

07/10/2023 8:50 AM  #9

plymrob wrote:

I guess though I had best take this opportunity to ask Mystic Matchman... what I can look forward tomorrow driving-up tomorrow to see Chelt-Derby? I'll take a Chelt goal... and maybe best forget the other number! I'll be making sure to check out your reply - but maybe tomorrow night!

Hi plyrob. I must admit that have a soft spot for Cheltenham as some of my relations used to live there in the Leckhampton district of town and I've spent many happy times there.. There's always hope of a result in any game although Derby have been getting better results when playing away. Thank you for posting. I wish we could get more posters on here.

Board footera