WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31/1/2017 9:14 PM  #1

February

After a pointless January, February is a make or break month for Ilkeston FC. Unless we start winning and then keep winning very soon we are surely doomed to relegation. This Saturday we're home to leaders Blyth Spartans. Not much chance there but if we were to avoid defeat that would be massive confidence booster. Time is running out and with 19 games left we are 11 points adrift of safety. It will take a miraculous winning run to pull that deficit back and right now this seems highly unlikely but it's not impossible. As I've said before, things can change in an instant but we need some sort of catalyst to make it happen. After January month's nil points, one would think things can only get better.

01/2/2017 9:08 AM  #2

Re: February

We have four home games scheduled for February. Blyth. Coalville. Sutton Coldfield and Halesowen and one away game at Buxton. There is no match scheduled for Saturday 11th Feb at the moment . In my opinion we must win against Sutton Coldfield and Halesowen and one other to have any chance of avoiding the drop.

01/2/2017 12:48 PM  #3

Your right but it would be nice to beat Coalville Town again! Especially since thy are the last team we beat and have since signed all our player with any experience. I remember going to Coalville and after Malachi scored his wonder goal thinking that this team could actually surprise a few people this season!
Producing the archive articles for the programmes has shown me what a prestigious football club Ilkeston Town were. The quality of the players who could not a regular spot in our first team was amazing. Hopefully (with a big sigh) one day those days will return to the NMG. I remember at the time fans were moaning like hell about the team! I bet they wish they could go back in time! You never know something exciting might be just around the corner (optimist?).

11/2/2017 9:55 PM  #4

Can we avoid relegation? At the moment we have 18 points from 28 games.  If it takes a minimum of 45 points to avoid relegation then we have to pick up 27 points from our remaining 18 matches. That means:
       9 wins and 9 defeats or  
       8 wins,  3 draws  and  7 defeats  or
       7 wins,  6 draws  and  5 defeats 
With the current team we are unlikely to get the 27 points required but with some team strengthening  it is just possible but to have any chance the team strengthening has to be immediate.  
We now have an extra game in February : Hednesford at home on Tuesday 21st.  That means there are four February home games to come against Coalville, Sutton Coldfield, Hednesford and Halesowen and an away game at Buxton. Unless we pick up at least nine points we look doomed.

12/2/2017 10:01 PM  #5

Tuesday14th Feb sees the visit of Coalville to the NMG. Our last league win was at Coalville when Malachi stunned them with his last minute winner. Since then Ilkeston have gone sixteen league games without a win and have lost their last ten. Coalville will be desperate to avenge that defeat and Ilkeston will be desperate to repeat it. Since the previous encounter Coalville have strengthened their squad which now includes a few players recruited from Ilkeston. Ilkeston have recently improved their squad with two Bermudian signings, keeper Dale Eve and defender Dante Leverock. Coalville must be favourites 

15/2/2017 8:32 AM  #6

I wasn't expecting anything from the Coalville game so for me it was a point gained. We might have won but we could have lost so a draw was the least we deserved.  I still think that we need to pick up nine points this month and last night's draw was a start. If we can beat Sutton Coldfield it just might give us the boost we need to get back to winning ways. A victory against Sutton Coldfield is absolutely vital and should give us confidence to target two further wins or one win and two draws from the games against Hednesford, Buxton and Halesowen.

19/2/2017 8:03 PM  #7

There's never a dull moment at Ilkeston Football Club. I said that February would be a pivotal month but Shaun Goater coming in as manager caught me totally by surprise. I said we had to beat Sutton Coldfield and we did. It's only one win but suddenly spirits are lifted. We've taken four points from the last two games and kept clean sheets in both. The team played with great spirit and togetherness right to the end. We now need to take on Hednesford on Tuesday night with newly found confidence. If we could win that one then the impossible dream of escaping relegation becomes more real. The supporters yesterday were brilliant. Until the last two games they've not had much to cheer about but yesterday they really lifted the team and Shaun Goater was specially grateful. The younger players are now starting to blossom following their premature introduction into Northern Premier League football in really challenging circumstances.  We still need at least another couple of experienced players but many of the younger players who have come into the first team have raised their game and are starting to look more comfortable at this level.
Talking of experienced players:  I heard a few things yesterday about some of the more experienced players that we had at the start of the season. One player was always claiming he was injured, another one didn't want to play every game and another one didn't like to play with the younger players.  
There was a bit of a get together in the lounge after the game yesterday. It was planned to be a food and drink thank you to all of the match day staff. The win made it more special.
The next game is Tuesday 21st February v Hednesford (home) followed by Buxton (away) on Saturday 24th February and then another home game v Halesowen on Tuesday 28th February.

Last edited by Matchman (20/2/2017 9:08 AM)

26/2/2017 11:05 PM  #8

Defeat against Hednesford and the Buxton game postponed leaves us with just four points during February. With other sides near the bottom picking up points it is now vital that we get the three points from our home match with Halesowen. Offensively we must start to take our chances. We have the awful record of scoring just four goals in our last fifteen NPL games. We have failed to score in eleven of those fifteen and scored a single goal in the other four.

Board footera