WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/3/2024 12:11 PM  #1

Matlock Statement re Martin Carruthers

CLUB STATEMENT: Martin Carruthers
Posted on 25 March 2024

Matlock Town FC can confirm that Martin Carruthers has stepped down from his role as first team manager.
Carruthers spoke with Matlock chairman Jay Beaumont on Monday to tell him the news that he would no longer be in charge at the Proctor Cars Stadium. The Gladiators have moved quickly to appoint long-serving Adam Yates and former Gladiators boss Mark Atkins as interim joint bosses for the remainder of the season.
Mr Beaumont says that Matlock fans should remember the good work Carruthers has done for the Gladiators following his appointment in December 2022. Against the odds, Matlock qualified for the end of season play-offs last April following a run of five victories in their last six matches, a final day win at Marine seeing them make the top five. The Gladiators chairman said: “I want to place on record my thanks and those of everyone involved with the club for his hard work during his tenure, last season we made it through to the play-offs against the odds and that was down to Martin, Wayne and his staff and players who were magnificent. He’s been a great guy for the club. "I want to thank Wayne also who will be leaving with Martin. Everyone’s very sorry things haven’t worked out for them this season and they’ll be made welcome at our club anytime.“ Adam Yates is a club legend who’s popular with absolutely everyone at the club but he needs someone with experience alongside him to guide him through the difficult periods and in my mind there’s nobody better able person to do this than Mark Atkins, who is Matlock Town through and through. "It’s the perfect opportunity with us being just about safe in the table for Adam to see if management suits Adam and whether Adam can take to management, Everyone will get behind him and he has Mark there to help him along and advise him when he needs it.”

26/3/2024 7:41 PM  #2

Re: Matlock Statement re Martin Carruthers

This was all too predictable in many respects. Martin is one of the good guys and perhaps a bit too nice to be successful at this level. When he was at Ilkeston he was very professional but very caring and maybe he does not have that nasty streak you need to truly to do well at step two. Saying that I believe that Deaks is a good un too but I believe that if needs be Ian will be ruthless when required. However I am no expert and I believed John McGinlay and David Holdsworth would be successful and look at our that ended.

Board footera