The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/2/2019 10:44 AM  #1

Two years ago

On 18th Feb 2017 Ilkeston FC met Sutton Coldfield in the Northern Premier League

Ilkeston 1 Sutton Coldfield 0
On Friday 17th February it was announced that ex Manchester City star Shaun Goater would succeed Paul Holland as Ilkeston FC's first team manager and Saturday's match against Sutton Coldfield would be his first game in charge. The Club needed a sensational run of results to avoid relegation but Shaun said he was excited by the difficult challenge facing him over the next ten weeks or so. With just one day to prepare before the relegation six pointer Goater was looking for 100% commitment  to the cause and hopefully a bit of good fortune to go with it. As it turned out he got both. In front of a decent attendance the Robins brought their winless run to an end and maybe kickstarted an improbable battle to escape relegation. Ilkeston had to make a late change with Jamie Hannis replacing Dale Eve in goal. There were chances galore for both sides in an exciting encounter but the only one taken came after just 5 minutes. Brandon Clarke fed Dexter Atkinson who got past the keeper and managed to slot the ball home from a tight angle. Ilkeston had the edge early on but Sutton came storming back in an effort to draw level and the visitors could consider themselves unlucky to be behind at half time after failing to convert several opportunities. The second half continued as the first with both sides creating chances but not taking them. Jamie Hannis was called upon to make a couple of outstanding saves whilst Ilkeston's forwards were guilty of failing to put the result beyond doubt. Atkinson and Dwyer both went close. In added time sub Reece Horne came nearest to scoring when his powerful shot struck the post and then in the final moments Sutton's Matthias Curley received a red card for bringing down Anthony Dwyer who was through on goal. Thirty seconds later the full time whistle sounded and Ilkeston's long winless run was over. There was a bit of disorder before the players had left the field as Ilkeston's players understandably celebrated a vital win and one of Sutton's players' frustration got the better of him. Shaun Goater's after match reaction was that it was a positive start which must now be built on over the remaining games.
The Ilkeston team was :  1 Jamie Hannis, 2 Max Thornberry, 3 Charlie Scanlon, 4 Jaylon Bather, 5 Matt Baker, 6 Dante Leverock,7 Louis Rose, 8 Danny Gordon, 9 Dextor Atkinson, 10 Ben Morris 11 Brandon Clarke.   Subs : Reece Horne, Ryan Head, Keenan Meakin, Anthony Dwyer and Tom Gamblen.


Last edited by Matchman (19/2/2019 11:57 AM)


Board footera


Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum