The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30/3/2019 9:07 PM  #31

Re: AFC Wulfrunians v Ilkeston - Live Updates

What a clinching goal by Ilkeston. Dixon's run had to be seen to be believed. He won the ball on the halfway line and outpaced two defenders with a magnificent burst of speed before unselfishly rolling the ball to Reeves who cracked it in.


01/4/2019 4:45 PM  #32

Re: AFC Wulfrunians v Ilkeston - Live Updates

Sat 30th March 2019 -   Midland Football League  Premier Division
AFC Wulfrunians  1   Ilkeston Town  3
Ilkeston recorded back to back wins in a stop start game at Wolverhampton. It was not a vintage performance but the result was never in doubt until the closing stages. Ilkeston were reduced to ten players five minutes from time and Wulfrunians pulled a goal back with a disputed penalty on 90 minutes. Wulfrunians sensed that they could rescue a point but Kyle Dixon made sure that didn’t happen when he burst through the Wulfs defence and fed Elliott Reeves who slotted the ball in to restore Ilkeston’s two goal advantage.  
Ilkeston had the better of the opening exchanges but real chances were few. There were many stoppages for petty infringements and Lavell White picked up an early yellow for a retaliatory kick out at a Wulfs player. The best opportunity came on 12 minutes when Reco Fyfe found Reeves but the striker’s shot went over. This was quickly followed by a Fabian Smith volley which was also too high. Liam Mitchell was tested by Jumaane Meggoe as Wulfrunians hit back but on 20 minutes Ilkeston went ahead with a soft goal. It came from a free kick by Jamie Walker which Wulfs keeper Jake James couldn’t hold on to. Meggoe again went close for Wulfrunians but Ilkeston nearly got a second on 36 minutes when Fabian Smith rattled the crossbar. Just before half time Meggoe had another chance for Wulfs but pulled his shot wide.
On 52 minutes Walker put Ilkeston two up when he flicked the ball in from close range before James could gather. On 65 minutes Reeves broke through but James saved bravely at his feet. Wulfrunians chances were only coming from corners. Dixon came on for Fyfe on the hour and immediately put Reeves through but James made a fine save. On 71minutes Wulfs thought that they had got one back but a tight offside decision went against them. On 85 minutes White was involved in a handbags situation and received a second yellow. Ilkeston then had an escape when Ben Jevans’s cross come back off the bar. Just before the end of normal time Wulfrunians were awarded a penalty when Chris Shaw was adjudged to have handled. Charles Wilson sent Mitchell the wrong way to make it 2-1. After dominating the match Ilkeston were suddenly vulnerable but a sensational run from the half way line by Dixon ensured that Ilkeston kept the points. Dixon left defenders in his wake and rolled the ball to Reeves and it was game over.  

     Thread Starter

Board footera


Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum