WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23/4/2020 11:21 PM  #1

Final match of the season

Saturday 25th April should have been our last game (away to Worksop Town.) 

If the league had decided to predict the season’s final placings using a “points per game” solution then I think Ilkeston would have lost out.

I know that we lost our final match at Loughborough Dynamo but before that we were gaining a bit of momentum. 

The “points per game” solution would almost certainly have benefited  Belper and Carlton because they both would have found it difficult to maintain their average points per game over their remaining twelve  matches due to having so many games to play over a short time span. “Points per game” would have been a massive help in getting both of them into the playoffs at the expense of Stocksbridge and Sutton Coldfield who may have caught them. 

Sheffield would probably have been the biggest loser under a “points per game” scenario. They would have been given 15 points from their 11 remaining matches. But 8 of their 11 remaining matches  were at home and they would have expected to pick up more than 15 points.  

Ilkeston’s points per game over all of our matches  played was 1.3475. (43 points from 32 matches) 

That means under a “points per match” scenario our final six matches would have given us an extra 8 points.  

These were our final six matches and I think we could have won all of our  three home games and picked up possibly four points from our three away games. That would have given us 13 points. However 56 points wouldn’t have been enough to get us into the playoffs.  

Chasetown  (home)            3 points
            Kidsgrove  (home)              3 points
            Lincoln United  (home)       3 points
            Carlton  (away)                   1 point
            Stocksbridge PS (away)     0 points
            Worksop  (away)                3 points 

Board footera