WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18/6/2020 3:21 PM  #1

Where we were 3 years ago

#ThrowbackThursday
Each Thursday I share a different historical non-league table. Here's the Northern Premier League table from 2016/17. Blyth Spartans & Spennymoor Town (playoffs) were promoted. Corby Town, Frickley Athletic, Ilkeston & Skelmersdale United were relegated.  

20/6/2020 12:36 PM  #2

Re: Where we were 3 years ago

That was the infamous season when the players didn't get paid. Whilst most regrettable, the young players who finished the season gained valuable experience in a high standard league which helped them in future years. Many of those players are now doing well in their footballing careers. The old proverb : “It's an ill wind that blows no good” comes to mind. 

2016-17 was also the season when many supporters stopped going to games and the season ended with Ilkeston FC going into Liquidation. With dwindling gate money coming in and expenses exceeding income it was left to a remarkable club official with an exceptional sense of duty to get us through to the end of the season without default. No one who went to the games will forget the night matches with the floodlights being powered by generators after the electricity had been cut off. 

20/6/2020 1:14 PM  #3

I find two things interesting in this league table. The first is how many of these clubs now play n the southern/central  part of the pyramid i.e. Stourbridge, Stafford, Barwell, Hednesford, Coalville, Halesowen and Corby. The second is that I can't see any teams who have been really successful at getting into the National League. Spennymoor have been the most successful I think!
Overall it was a very depressing season for Ilkeston. The young players battled bravely on the pitch but off it the club was tearing itself apart and even the fans were falling out with each other with long standing friendships ruined by the machinations at Ilkeston FC.

20/6/2020 5:10 PM  #4

The day we were suppose to play Workington away summed it up for me. Only a few fans wanted to go like myself. I had my flags , snap and beers at the ready for the long trip . But the young players went on strike that day and I don't bloody blame them. I was gutted but not angry at the players but I was at a certain person at the club.
It was a horrible day including the weather . I walked back into the house wet through with my wife wondering why I was back.
One season I want to forget but won't .
But I was proud of the young players though.

20/6/2020 6:58 PM  #5

When we played the last game of the season at Ashton I bought four programmes and one of their officials asked me why? I told him that it is probably our last game and they seemed quite shocked! Even during that game there was a couple of unfortunate incidents with their stewards which really summed up what was a desperate and frustrating time to an Ilkeston fan! Eventually we will be able to write a book about it without being taken to court.

20/6/2020 7:20 PM  #6

I can remember some the Ashton day . A lot of the fans were dressed in black saying the death of the club. I couldn't do it . But I did have a slight argument with a steward about my singing . He was saying I was try incite their fans the other end if the ground to which I started to take the Mick out of him for as it was stupid.

21/6/2020 12:35 PM  #7

The incident I was referring to was when of our fans locked one of their stewards out of the ground when he went to fetch a ball that had gone over the wall. It was initially funny but unfortunately their steward was not amused!

21/6/2020 9:36 PM  #8

WhiteBallProject wrote:

Overall it was a very depressing season for Ilkeston. The young players battled bravely on the pitch but off it the club was tearing itself apart and even the fans were falling out with each other with long standing friendships ruined by the machinations at Ilkeston FC.

*******************

Yes it was a regrettable time of divided opinions and mistrust and It took a long time for unity among supporters to return.

Most football clubs and their supporters go through highs and lows over the years. Right now we are experiencing an incredible high thanks to our new owners. The ongoing ground improvements are unbelievable and we're geared for success on the field.  When the season starts we should really get behind the owners and show our gratitude by turning up in our hundreds at the NMG. Let's get the gates up to a thousand at every home game. 
Hopes are high that the coming season is going to be one to remember.  We will be making a determined effort to achieve promotion and with the players we now have and our amazing support, we have a real chance of succeeding.
This could be just the start of an incredible journey because the owner's ambitions are such that if we do win promotion, it's only the start. We'll be pushing for another promotion the following year.  
What a turnaround in the club's fortunes. In three years we've gone from dispair to optimism beyond belief.

Last edited by Matchman (23/6/2020 8:20 AM)

22/6/2020 5:21 PM  #9

O yeah I can remember that now . It was in the second half I think we were in the covered terrace ...

Board footera