WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/7/2020 2:07 PM  #1

One year ago

A year ago this weekend Ilkeston played their second 2019-20 preseason friendly against Airbus UK at Broughton. Despite it only being a friendly, a full bus load of supporters made the journey to Flintshire and they were rewarded with an unlikely Ilkeston win after being 0-2 behind. Lee Fowler was the Ilkeston manager and this was the Ilkeston team :

1 Liam Mitchell, 2 Ben Reeves, 3 Billy Bennett, 4 Jermain Hollis, 5 Matt Baker, 6 Mitchell Robinson, 7 Lavell White, 8 Reco Fyfe, 9 Andre Johnson, 10 Alex Marshall, 11 Jamie Walker.
Subs : 13 Richard Stainsby (GK), 14 Abdou Cole, 15 Kieran Rowlands, 16 Fabian Smith, 17 Jermain Palmer.

Match Report :
Airbus UK, Broughton  2  Ilkeston Town  3
In their second pre-season friendly, Ilkeston came from behind to surprise their highly rated Welsh Premier League opponents. Jermain Palmer scored a second half hat-trick to complete a stunning Ilkeston comeback. It had seemed like a damage limitation exercise would be needed at half time when Airbus led by 2-0. It could have been much worse as just before half time Ilkeston keeper Liam Mitchell was sent off and Airbus were awarded a penalty with a chance to go three up. 
Airbus started the stronger and went ahead with a header on 7 minutes. Ilkeston were struggling to create any kind of chances against a rock solid Airbus defence and they fell further behind on 16 minutes. Ilkeston gradually fought their way back into the game and Lavell White went close with a shot that was tipped over. A chance also fell to Alex Marshall but again the keeper saved. Reco Fyfe was prominent for Ilkeston but Airbus were generally dominating possession and should have scored a third on 44 minutes from the spot. Mitchell appeared to speak out of turn and saw red. Richard Stainsby came on to replace Mitchell and face the spot kick. Diving to his left he pulled off an excellent save to keep Ilkeston in the game.
Ilkeston started the second half much better and defender Mitch Robinson went close on 50 minutes with a header following a corner.  Stainsby was tested at the other end before Palmer pulled one back for Ilkeston with a header on 57 minutes only moments after coming on. The goal lifted Ilkeston’s spirits and Airbus were no longer the dominant team. Chances at each end were now becoming more regular. Airbus had a good chance with a swift break but Stainsby smothered the shot when facing a one on one with an Airbus forward. The home side went close to restoring their two goal advantage when a fierce shot whistled over the bar on 75 minutes but two minutes later Ilkeston equalised. A shot came back off the post to Palmer who thrashed it in from close range to make it 2-2. Airbus were stung into action and made a big effort to regain the lead forcing Ilkeston to defend in the final minutes. An Airbus header went just wide and Stainsby was kept busy as the hosts pressed for a winner. Then in the 93rd minute the winner came but not for Airbus. Lavell White won a corner for Ilkeston following a break out of defence and when the corner came over Palmer was in the right place again to complete his hat-trick leaving the Flyers with no time to recover. 

*******************

What a turn round. Airbus were superb in the first half and Ilkeston were lucky not to be out of the game. It looked like it might be a heavy defeat but once we got one back it was a different match.  After Palmer had equalised, Airbus made a big effort to find a winner and put Ilkeston under some severe pressure but the winner came at the other end. Replacement keeper Richard Stainsby was outstanding following Liam Mitchell's sending off. It's not often a team comes back to win after going two behind. Although only a friendly, It was a very uplifting victory very much enjoyed by the fifty-odd supporters that made the journey.

Yet another example of Ilkeston's fantastic supporters who paid £15 each to travel all the way to Broughton for a presason friendly.

Last edited by Matchman (03/7/2020 2:28 PM)

03/7/2020 2:37 PM  #2

Re: One year ago

Ironic that Airbus have just announced that they are shedding over 1000 jobs in North Wales which will devastate the local economy.
Also what happened to Ben Reeves, Andre Johnson and Abdou Cole?

03/7/2020 3:26 PM  #3

It was a really interesting and enjoyable day. The airfield was quite close to the pitch and supporters who travelled will remember the plane which came in to land during the game. Feel sorry for the people of Broughton who will be losing their jobs. I would guess that a high proportion of the people who lived at Broughton worked for Airbus.

The 2019-20 pre-season matches saw us use many trialists. The first friendly match was against Eastwood and one of the trialists who impressed me was Riece Bertram. He was signed by Belper Town but I'm pleased to say he has now joined Ilkeston for the coming season.

Lee Fowler was in charge of the pre-season friendlies but his contract was terminated after the Clifton game. Nick Hawkins said the club was not in a position to fulfil the contract that Fowler had originally been given. Nick Hawkins acted as team manager for the final pre-season friendly at Grantham before Mark Clifford came in.

Last edited by Matchman (03/7/2020 3:31 PM)

03/7/2020 5:36 PM  #4

When it was announced that we wee playing Airbus in a friendly , I thought you are joking surely that's a big ask for the supporters group to fill a coach to this game especially having to charge £15. But the fans were brilliant filling the coach up with Zane also doing a great job in getting it organized . It was a great day out had by all especially with result at the end. A few of us sat behind the goal but we had very few chances with Airbus dominating all over the filed . Being two nil down with the half time coming we started to walk to the clubhouse , which is outside the ground so we didn't see the penalty awarded and the sending off. Another fan told us as we were sitting down with our drink , I was astonished , a penalty , a sending off and a penalty save , WOW . BUT WE MISSED IT. 
As I walked over to the pitch the game had already started but the Airbus plane was just landing on the runway next to the ground , my god its HUUUUUUUUUGE !
  As the game went on I thought we was in for a thrashing but credit to the players they stuck with it , rode their luck but scored the goals to win the game with a injury time winner . Palmer with a hattrick was a great way to send us back home with smiles on our faces . I actually was gutted when Palmer left after a very short stay , he was a really nice bloke. 
  Had a bit of a laugh with a few of their fans in the first half when they were trying to be sarcastic. As we started to walk to the bar one said " Whats up , had enough and going home ? " I replied " don't be daft youth we`re going for beer then we will back singing in the second half " 
 Like I said all the fans really enjoyed the day out ….

Board footera