WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23/9/2020 2:06 PM  #61

Re: Tue 22 Sep'20 - FA Cup : Coventry Sphinx v Ilkeston : Live Updates

Scrappy game but we got there in the end. All it needed was one bit of quality. I might be misremembering but do I recall a terrific ‘no look’ pass from Reid for the Lee goal? And terrific vision and execution from Thomas for the second goal. Strange approach from Coventry, they battled really hard all game but showed no ambition whatsoever until they fell behind; it’s like they were playing for penalties from the outset.

We’ve clearly got a pretty good starting eleven, looking at the bench not sure about strength in depth though (I appreciate Lee came off the bench to score last night).

In our offensive unit, Goodson seems to be the only one who offers pace and width, Troke is the only one with any height. Hope those 2 stay fit and healthy.  

He didn’t have a lot to do, but I thought Maguire had a good game last night. Don’t know what Billy Bennett’s injury was; hope it’s not a long-term problem. I thought Brown-Hill covered well for him in the second half.

One thing I will say is that I think our team of last year would not have finished that game with 11 men on the field and I think we’d have lost the game. Yes, we can play football, but it was nice to see us match their physicality.

Great support for the team again, if the crowd was around 300, I reckon half of them were Ilkeston fans.

23/9/2020 6:24 PM  #62

Good summary of a game we did well to win from what I have heard. Sphinx seem to have been playing for penalties from the kick off. I think we have a vastly superior side to last season and one that has the potential to be one of the best the NMG has ever seen!

23/9/2020 7:14 PM  #63

Not a pretty game and like what others said i thought sphinx were in it for the pennos .....
First half full of half chances .
second half thought we showed our quality . Great move for the first goal , taken really well from Mason. Second goal , well what a goal that was SUPBERB !
One nil up with a very dangerous free kick for Sphinx . It was going into the top corner but ..........WHAT A SAVE from Ross !!!!!!!!!!! Hardly had anything to do then comes out with that wonder save .
Only slight sour note ...Why do us ilson fans always seem to attract a bunch of mouthy teenagers . Yet again no stewards in attendance just to overlook things .......sorry about that slight moan. 

23/9/2020 8:59 PM  #64

In my opinion the second half was really exciting. As we entered the final 15 minutes, our supporters realised that we were in serious danger of going out in a penalty shootout if we couldn't find a goal. It looked like a goal may not come until Mason Lee did really well to put us ahead. Ross Durrant then pulled off that incredible save. Finally, Jack Thomas sent the travelling fans home happy with a wonderful moment of opportunism and execution.  

That's three wins out of three. Can we make it four against Stamford? Even at this early stage of the season, every team in our league will be looking for the result of this game. With it being a night match and Ilkeston having home advantage, I think we can win it but it will be a real test.

**************

StamfordAFC1896 Retweeted  
Mark Bates[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/batesyboy1983]@batesyboy1983·Sep 22     4 @StamfordAFC1896 games been to this season, 13 games scored and 0 against, they are playing some outstanding football

Last edited by Matchman (24/9/2020 1:13 AM)

Board footera