WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18/8/2021 6:41 PM  #1

This week's midweek matches

This weeks midweek matches so far;

Mon 16th August 2021
Coleshill Town  2  Cambridge City  1 

Tue 17th August 2021
Carlton Town  1  Bedworth United  0
Chasetown  3  Belper Town  0
Halesowen  5  Shepshed Dynamo  1
Histon  2  Daventry Town  4
Ilkeston Town  2  Sporting Khalsa  3
Loughborough D  3  Sutton Coldfield 3
Soham Town Rangers  1  Stamford  3
Yaxley  3  Spalding United  1 

Wed 18th August 2021
Corby Town  v  Wisbech Town   

Coleshill scored their second win with goals by Tonge and Phillips who also scored in their first game. Carlton picked up a first win beating Bedworth United with a late goal by Opoku while fancied Belper came a cropper at Chasetown after conceding three second half goals. Halesowen recorded a second win, hammering five past Shepshed while Daventry followed up their opening day point with a 4-2 win at Histon which included Jack Bowen brace. Ilkeston were surprised by Sporting Khalsa who won 3-2 at the New Manor Ground with Josh McKenzie scoring twice. Loughborough Dynamo came back from 0-3 down to rescue a point against Sutton Coldfield. Reece Gibson scored twice for Coldfield. Promotion favourites Stamford bounced back from an opening day defeat to pick up all three points at Soham. Yaxley recorded their first points with a 3-1 home win against Spalding United with a brace from Josh Moreman. 

Last edited by Matchman (20/8/2021 10:28 AM)

18/8/2021 6:59 PM  #2

Re: This week's midweek matches

Interesting that the two linos at the Corby v Wisbech match are husband and wife Richard and Stacey Fullicks.   Is this a first?

18/8/2021 7:04 PM  #3

Corby  0  Wisbech  0   after 15 minutes

Hull City  0  Derby   0
Forest  0  Blackburn  0

Last edited by Matchman (18/8/2021 7:12 PM)

18/8/2021 7:19 PM  #4

Latest scores after 30 minutes 

Corby  0  Wisbech  0

Hull City  0  Derby  0
Forest  0  Blackburn  0

Corby and Wisbech both lost their opening matches 

Last edited by Matchman (18/8/2021 7:26 PM)

18/8/2021 7:38 PM  #5

It's halftime and no goals yet.

Corby  0  Wisbech  0

Hull  0  Derby  0
Forest  0  Blackburn   0

18/8/2021 7:43 PM  #6

Unlike last night there are absolutely no goals in our featured games at half time! There will be an avalanche now I've said that!!

18/8/2021 7:44 PM  #7

I think both Derby and Forest would be happy with a 0-0 and a point.

18/8/2021 7:51 PM  #8

Goal for Blackburn      Forest  0  Blackburn  1     Ayala

Goal for Corby           Corby  1  Wisbech  0         James Tague (48')

Last edited by Matchman (18/8/2021 8:03 PM)

18/8/2021 8:03 PM  #9

Hull  0  Derby 1      Sam Baldock (57)

Corby  2  Wisbech  0    Stephen Diggin (55')

Forest  1  Blackburn  1    Zinckernagel       (69')

Last edited by Matchman (18/8/2021 8:17 PM)

18/8/2021 8:24 PM  #10

Latest scores after 80 minutes

Hull  0  Derby 1                 Sam Baldock (57)

Corby  2  Wisbech  0         James Tague  (48'),  Stephen Diggin (55')

Forest  1  Blackburn  1      Zinckernagel       (69')

Last edited by Matchman (18/8/2021 8:26 PM)

18/8/2021 8:29 PM  #11

Forest  1  Blackburn  2     Lenihan  (86')

Corby attendance:   379

Jordan Gabriel sent off for Forest ( second yellow)  (90')

Last edited by Matchman (18/8/2021 8:35 PM)

18/8/2021 8:39 PM  #12

Full time

Hull  0  Derby  1
Forest  1  Blackburn  2

Corby  2  Wisbech  0

19/8/2021 9:13 AM  #13

Very early days but the first two sets of results indicate that two teams may be better than expected   

Sporting Khalsa  -  we’ve seen first hand how good they are after their display at the NMG 

Chasetown  -   Didn’t expect their convincing 3-0 win against Belper 

SCHOLARS TEACH NAILERS A LESSON  BY NIGEL OLDRINI

Belper Town were well beaten by Chasetown on a cool and wet August evening and they must quickly regroup and put this disappointing set back well and truly behind them. The home team, to their credit never let the Nailers settle into any sort of pattern and in the end they caved in under pressure and conceded goals that you would never have expected a Belper side to let in.

Manager Grant Black selected an unchanged side to the one that won their opening day fixture against Histon, but while the team was the same, the performance was very different. Initially the Nailers started on the front foot but the Scholars quickly got into their stride and their superior passing skills particularly on the break soon had Belper backtracking.

Despite this the best either side could come up with in the opening half hour was a shot from Arron Ashford that fizzed past the upright in the 18th minute and a long range effort from Craig Nelthorpe in the 37th. Belper’s best spell of the game came in the period just before half time and started with a good move involving Nathan Curtis and Sam Wright and finished with a looping shot from Jonathan Margetts that cleared the cross bar. A Craig Nelthorpe free kick, one of his best of the night found Danny South at the far post; however Curtis Pond moved quickly to deny his header. In a frantic 60 seconds just before the break, the Nailers had their hosts under the cosh, and Brodie Lichfield saw his low drive take the slightest deflection away for a corner kick.

Hopes that Belper could maintain this form in the second half faded quickly, as the Scholars came out in a very determined mood and the Nailers were distinctly second best.  Yet it could have been different if the Nailers had been awarded a penalty in the 49th minute when Ryan Wynter pushed Jonathan Margetts over just inside the penalty box, but the referee gave a free kick just outside instead. Craig Nelthorpe was unfortunate to see his resulting free kick hit the angle of the cross bar and upright. Margetts had a curling effort go wide a few minutes later, but the hosts stepped up their efforts and snuffed out most of the attacking efforts from Belper.

Then it all began to go wrong as two corner kicks in as many minutes left the Nailers in a hole they never looked like getting themselves out of. The first one came in low on the edge of the six yard area and was met by Ryan Wynter and then a carbon copy corner kick took a deflection off Josh Woodcock and slipped under the despairing Myles Wright in the Belper goal; these came in the 60th and 62 minutes of the game. Belper tried to fight back but could only muster efforts from Margetts and Woodcock which went wide of the target, then in the 82nd minute they were caught hopelessly short at the back and Alex Melbourne was given all the time he needed to strike the ball just inside the far post to confirm an easy win for the Scholars.

It would have been nice to have scored a consolation at least, but Brodie Lichfield’s well struck shot in the 89th minute had Curtis Pond scrambling across his goal to put the ball around the post, so the Nailers were denied even that, although in fairness they hadn’t deserved anything on the night. 

Chasetown: Pond, Melbourne, Evans, Wynter, Parsons, McGinnel, Ashford, Langston, Butlin, Haddaway, Reid (Lund 65). Unused subs: Slater, Curtis, Smith, Crook. 
Belper Town: Wright M, Woodcock, Nelthorpe, Wright S, Bertram (Peterson 56), Wilson, Lichfield, Gregory (Reeves 79), South, Margetts, Curtis (Johnson 65). Unused subs: Sandhu, Rhodes. 
Referee: Jake Allsop 
Att: 482

Last edited by Matchman (19/8/2021 1:35 PM)

19/8/2021 10:54 AM  #14

Khalsa impressed me

Very streetwise. The big 9 bullied our c halves and the 10 & 11 were really good too

They created 13 or 14 goal scoring opportunities and clearly knew how to play on 4G

One to watch perhaps

19/8/2021 3:09 PM  #15

Josh McKenzie is 38 years of age which may put Kieran and Joe to shame considering that he outpaced and probably outplayed them at times. He scored a hat trick in their FA Cup win over Coventry Pheonix. I was impressed with one of their midfield who ran things and the left winger/wide midfielder. In the first half I thought they were vulnerable defensively as much as us but in the second they tightened up and as been said before looked a bit fitter physically and maybe mentally. I think the win at Stamford took more out of the team than we thought but Khalsa will be there about at the end of the season. It will be interesting to see what team we put out against Daventry in the next league game and whether we make a few changes for the FA Cup game against Quorn who we should be able to beat despite our draw against in the pre season.
I still think if we stick to the plan of playing pass and move football we will be OK! this season.

19/8/2021 5:40 PM  #16

The  way we feel now must have been how Stamford supporters felt after we beat them. Some games just don’t go the way you want them to. When the momentum is with your opponents its difficult to turn things round. We needed a lucky break in the later stages of the game but it didn’t happen. When Khalsa were behind in the first half they got lucky through our mistakes. I’ve seen their central defender and Captain, Tesfa Robinson several times before, I think he played for Rushall Olympic, and’s he’s always been immense. It’s been said that every side in this league will lose several matches and I believe that to be true so there’s no need for alarm. 
I was surprised by Martin Carruthers team choice at Stamford but he was proved right. It turned out to be the correct side to play against Stamford. Maybe Carruthers felt he should reward that team by picking them again to play against Khalsa. I know it’s easy to say in retrospect but personally I would have made changes. I would have gone for more experience and played Brown-Hill and Verma. 
At least Zak Goodson is showing better form and took his goal well. Also Remaye Campbell has played better in the league games than in pre-season.
A win at Quorn should make us feel much better.

Last edited by Matchman (19/8/2021 5:44 PM)

Board footera