WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/8/2021 5:26 AM  #31

Re: Daventry v Ilkeston - Tue 24 August '21, ko 7 45

As straightforward as wins come

I gather the hosts were depleted by Covid. Credit to them for keeping battling despite losing their number 9 (their only really good player) just after ht

Some lovely slick football from us though. Scored goals at key times and controlled the game

More valuable minutes for fringe players and nice to seen OBH take to the field for the first time this season

Lovely little ground and a fine playing surface. We got lucky and got them on a day when they were weak - but that’s no really our problem

A thoroughly professional display. MOM Rem Campbell. A beast on his day. Led the line superbly

25/8/2021 9:07 AM  #32

My match report :

Tue 24th August 2021
Northern Premier League - Midlands Division
Daventry Town  0  Ilkeston Town  4
Two quick goals in each half made life comfortable for Ilkeston and their four goal victory margin lifted them to third in the table. They dominated the game from start to finish and might have won by a much bigger margin against a team depleted by several players being unavailable.
It only took five minutes until the first goal when Billy Bennett’s cross found Remaye Campbell whose glancing header found the net. Before Daventry could recover Ilkeston scored again this time through Zak Goodson who powered an unstoppable shot past keeper James Martin into the top corner of the net after determined play by Campbell had created the opening. After such a shaky start, the Purples managed to recover their composure for a time but Ilkeston soon regained the initiative. The host’s best effort in the first half came on the half hour mark when George Ball made himself an opportunity and saw his shot whistle by the post. Chances came and went for Ilkeston as they bossed the half but at the break it remained 2-0.
As in the first half, Ilkeston struck quickly at the start of the second. On 50 minutes Charlie Wakefield timed his run perfectly to latch on to a through ball leaving him with only Martin to beat, which he duly did. Two minutes later Alex Troke blasted in another following Mitchell Tait’s cross and it looked like a really embarrassing scoreline could be be on the cards for the home side. On the hour Goodson created an opportunity for Troke but his shot skimmed the upright then Goodson then had a chance himself but he too placed his shot inches wide. Ilkeston’s build up play was relentless and their passing was exceptional as they continually carved open the home defence but another goal somehow eluded them.  

25/8/2021 1:45 PM  #33

A truly superb performance from the team last night. Okay, the opposition weren't great but that was the best football seen from an Ilkeston side in a long while with total commitment from every player. When Carvell, Brown-Hill and Rogers were introduced they played their part too. It was incredible that we only scored four after creating so many openings. Whist every one on the pitch gave a creditable performance, I, like Dick Durrant, would give Rem Campbell man of the match, closely followed by Zak Goodson. When Joe Wilson left at the end of last season, I thought we would miss him but Mitchell Tait has stepped straight into his shoes.  
The next seven games when we play against some of the better sides should give us clear indication our promotion prospects :

Sat 28  Aug    Bedworth, (home)
Mon 30 Aug   Belper, (away)
Sat 04  Sep    Halesowen (FA Cup), (away)
Mon 06 Sep   Coleshill (away) 
Sat  11 Sep    Chasetown, (home)
Tue 14 Sep    Spalding (home)
Sat  18 Sep    Carlton (away) 

Last edited by Matchman (25/8/2021 1:59 PM)

25/8/2021 2:57 PM  #34

2 other interesting games at the weekend – Halesowen Town v Belper Town and Coleshill Town v Stamford.

Last edited by Trowell Nicky (25/8/2021 3:11 PM)

25/8/2021 3:13 PM  #35

I think Haleswen Town will be the team to beat this season. However I said the same about Stamford and look what happened. The Daniels have recovered well after the opening day defeat though. One you start analysing this division he list of teams who could be in contention gets longer and longer. Its going to be a roller coaster of a season and we are definitely going to be a part of the ride!

25/8/2021 3:17 PM  #36

"Hope that the Ilkeston Town fans don't have too much of a sore head this morning! Thanks for coming down last night and good luck for the season!"
from Daventry Town Twitter
Surely all our fans are tea total?

25/8/2021 4:10 PM  #37

Did the score flatter us because Daventry weren`t at full strength as they had a few reserve players in their side because of illness to the Daventry players. Don`t get me wrong we played brilliantly and we were well worth more than the four nil . 

25/8/2021 9:57 PM  #38

Not a result to get carried away with. But a decent performance and some lovely football played

Plenty of options for management who are still experimenting to find their best side & shape

For me you can lose 5 or 6 and still get promoted this season

My belief is our 20 man squad is right up there in quality. Will our best 11 be good enough? Time will tell. But some promising signs

26/8/2021 12:02 PM  #39

I think we have a good squad at the moment. I sometimes wonder if we would be stretched if either Troke or Campbell or god forbid both got injured. I don't know whether Kole Lambert is still in the running but keeping strikers on the bench is difficult as they all want to playing and scoring if they are any good. 
I agree with you in that we have a good squad and the recent games have shown that we can bring in players and there no noticeable drop in standard. We are in a good place! We need to enjoy it!

Board footera