WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30/8/2021 8:21 PM  #31

Re: Belper v Ilkeston - Bank Holiday Monday 30th Aug. ko 3pm

Match Report
Mon 30th August 2021
Northern Premier League -Midlands Division   
Belper Town  2  Ilkeston Town  2
A superb late equaliser by Zak Goodson earned Ilkeston the point they undoubtably deserved from a Bank Holiday thriller in front of 887 spectators. Ilkeston had the better chances throughout but when they fell behind ten minutes from time they faced defeat.
The Robins included new striker Paddy Webb and he didn’t take long to test Belper keeper, Myles Wright. Despite Ilkeston’s strong start it was Belper who went ahead through their skipper Danny South on 10 minutes. Ollie Brown-Hill was foiled by a Wright save as Ilkeston retaliated. The equaliser came on 39 minutes when Webb opened his account firing past Wright at his near post.
Belper started the second half well but Ilkeston gradually gained the initiative. James Reid’s free kick found Aman Verma but his header was inches wide. An unlucky ricochet presented Belper’s Peterson with a run on goal but he put his shot the wrong side of the post. Charlie Wakefield then had a golden chance to equalise but he couldn’t adjust his feet in front of a gaping goal. That was quickly followed by a Goodson shot blocked on the goal line and five minutes later Goodson was denied again by another goal line stop but with ten minutes left Belper regained the lead. It came from a counter attack when Litchfield was brought down by Mitchell Tait as he burst into the penalty area. Jonathan Margetts stepped up and blasted home the penalty. Ilkeston immediately pushed hard for a second equaliser and it came on 86 minutes. Goodson received the ball on the edge of the area and this time his strike was unstoppable. Not satisfied with a point, Ilkeston went all out for a winner but Belper hung on doggedly to the point they held.  It was a game that Ilkeston should have won but could have lost.

31/8/2021 5:40 PM  #32

Before the Belper game, i would have taken a point, but at full time it felt like we had dropped two points. We were the better side and although it was Belper who conceded the late equaliser it was they who were glad to take a point.  At least we have the satisfaction of knowing we haven't met team who are better than us so far but that could change on Saturday when we visit Halesowen in the cup. 
I asked Belper's secretary what Halesowen were like when they played against them. I can't remember his words but he wasn't overwhelmingly impressed. 
Going back to the Belper game, Wakefield missed a golden opportunity and we had at least two efforts cleared off the line. I was really happy with Webb's performance. He looks a terrific signing; strong and always looking to score. I don't know why Maguire didn't play but I thought Irvine did well in his absence. I thought Bennett and Verma had an excellent games as did Ollie Brown-Hill.  We now have  a good squad with quality players on the bench for when we need to change things. Goodson is so good that we may have a job holding on to him.
Next test is Halesowen. If we win that one I'll be much more confident about our promotion chances but there's along way to go yet. At this early stage in the season, Stamford and Halesowen seem to be the main threat to our ambitions.

Last edited by Matchman (31/8/2021 5:44 PM)

01/9/2021 6:57 AM  #33

BELPER TOWN"S MATCH REPORT

NAILERS HELD BY ILKESTON IN DERBY DAY CRACKER
BY NIGEL OLDRINI

Belper were denied a derby day win after Jonathan Margetts’s penalty kick wasn’t enough to wrap up all three points for the Nailers. Margetts’s 80th minute penalty seemed to be enough to earn all three points for the Nailers, until super sub Zak Goodson produced a wonder strike to level the game at 2-2.

As expected from their fine early season form, Ilkeston started the game the better of the two sides with Belper’s Myles Wright finding himself the busier of the two ‘keepers in the first half. The visitors squandered a good opportunity to put themselves a goal up in the opening four minutes, when Patrick Webb produced a perfect cross for his striker partner Alex Troke who could only fire his free header straight at the Nailers’ number one.

The Robins pilled on the pressure after they produced a wonderful free kick routine which allowed Troke to find himself with a pocket of space inside the Nailers box, which resulted in his strike being superbly blocked on the line by skipper Danny South.

Belper responded to the Ilkeston’s early threat in the best way possible with an opening goal in the 10th minute. An extremely long Ben Rhodes throw found its way to the back post where danger man Jonathon Margetts was waiting . His shot was blocked and fell perfectly into the path of Danny South who finished at the back post to put the Nailers 1-0 up.

Again Ilkeston came forward in search of an equaliser and they were nearly gifted a chance to draw level, when a Tom Wilson miss kick allowed Patrick Webb in on goal only for the forward to drag his shot wide of the target.

Rhodes nearly produced a moment of magic late in the first half when a wonderful piece of possession resulted in the left back having lots of time on the halfway line. He tried his luck at lobbing the keeper 40 yards out from goal. However Ross Durant scrambled to save the speculative effort and managed to keep it out. The Robins' equaliser came in the 39th minute when Patrick Webb hit a powerful low drive just inside the near post and under Myles Wright who couldn't react quick enough.

The Nailers started the second half the stronger of the two sides which was aided by the introduction of Craig Nelthorpe, who provided a different type of threat for Belper. It was his set piece that nearly created created a goal, with Wilson’s looping header going just wide of the target.

The Robins again started to dominate the game and really should have been in the lead in the 75th minute, after substitute Zak Goodson produced some sensational wing play which gifted Charlie Wakefield with a golden opportunity from two yards out, but the winger was unable to convert the ball into the empty net.

Suddenly, Belper broke on the counter and won a very straight forward penalty after Tait clumsily brought down Brodie Lichfield, which gave Margetts the perfect opportunity to put the Nailers into the lead. He didn’t disappoint with a very calm spot kick being placed into the bottom right corner of the goal.

The Nailers attempted to defend their lead for the final ten minutes of the game. Eventually their pressure paid off when Zak Goodson produced a goal of the season contender, after he curled the ball 25 yards out from goal right into the top left corner leaving Myles Wright with no chance of saving 

It was a thoroughly entertaining game watched by a bumper Bank Holiday crowd.

Belper Town: Wright M, Woodcock, Rhodes (Gregory 70), Wright S, South, Wilson, Curtis (Nelthorpe 65), Bertram, Peterson, Margetts (Jordon 83), Litchfield. Unused subs: Reeves, Hawkes.
Ilkeston Town: Durrant, Bennett, Tait, Reid, Irvine, Fenton, Carvell (Wakefield 72), Varma, Webb (Campbell 72), Troke, Brown-Hill (Goodson 60). Unused subs: Rogers, Stainsby
Referee: Scott Mason  
Attendance: 901

Last edited by Matchman (01/9/2021 7:11 AM)

01/9/2021 7:15 AM  #34

We were by far the better side once we’d got to grips with Belper’s rather agricultural style

We weren’t good enough in either box though. Both goals were avoidable if we stick to our jobs. Marking their 5 was someone’s job and it wasn’t done properly and if you’re going to commit a foul for goal two you commit it on half way not in the box

But our finishing was woeful. We’ve had 7 good chances to their 3 so should win

I’d be surprised if we pick our full side Saturday with Monday looming. The league is our priority so for me Saturday is a free hit. Halesowen may rotate their side too of course

01/9/2021 8:49 AM  #35

Thinking ahead to our FA Cup tie against Halesowen on Saturday, this is their : MATCH PREVIEW 

Halesowen Town v Ilkeston Town
FA Cup First Qualifying Round
Saturday 4 September 2021 3PM 
Halesowen Town, The Grove, Old Hawne Lane, Halesowen, B63 3TB
Adults £10, Concessions £7, 13-18 Years Old £4, Under 12’s Free

Halesowen Town Football Club, get ready to host Ilkeston Town in the FA Cup first Qualifying Round on Saturday at The Grove. The Yeltz are unbeaten in all competitions so far and Ilkeston have only lost once, and both teams sitting high in the league. 

Last time out Halesowen Town were on their travels over to Willenhall, to take on newly promoted Sporting Khalsa on Bank holiday Monday.  The Yeltz started the game strong with the first goal coming within the first five minutes from Kyle who quickly got his second of the game soon after, Halesowen’s third goal came from Harry to put The Yeltz 3-0 up going into half time.  Second half could of seen a hat-trick for Kyle Finn getting close but just over the bar twice early on in the second half.  It was Khalsa who got the goals to finish the game off 2-3, meaning Halesowen Town keep hold of top spot and remain unbeaten.  

Last time out for Ilkeston Town was on Bank Holiday Monday with a trip to Belper Town in front of a good crowd of 901.  It was the hosts who took the lead first on the 10th minute, it took Ilkeston until the 39th minute to get the equaliser through Patrick Webb taking both teams into half time level.  Second half didn’t see any goals until the 81st minute when Belper scored from the spot, but just five minutes latter Zak Goodson got the visitors the equaliser and a point from match, finishing level at 2 all.  Meaning Ilkeston Town currently sit in 5th place in the league with ten points from their opening five games.  

Even though Halesowen Town have played an Ilkeston Town Football Club previously, this Saturday’s FA Cup fixture will be the first time since their re-formation back in 2017. 

Let’s get The Grove full of Yeltzmen and Ladies and rocking from kick off till full time and help the boys into the next round of this years FA Cup. 
#UpTheYeltz

01/9/2021 8:59 AM  #36

Your dead right about the penalty. I played full ball in Sunday Pub football many moons ago and I knew if I had a winger who ran at me I was in for a challenging game. I was told by an old wag that the secret was to never let him the box. It was do whatever you need to do to stop that happening. I felt for Mitch because i could see as their winger ran down the line he was tempted to make a challenge but held off for fear of him skipping past him. When he eventually went for it their man said thank you side stepped him and took the hit.
Belper are not a flair team but are very well organised and will be difficult to beat in this league. In Margetts up front they have a player who is always to score a goal out of nothing. Again I thought Ilkeston were technically far superior they just need to cut out the lapses in concentration which are costing them goals.
A cup run is nice and good for the coffers but I would prefer promotion any day so a defeat on Saturday will not be a disaster. Halesowen do appear to be the stand out team according to those who have played them and seem to be taking over from Stamford as everyones favourite to go up!

01/9/2021 11:33 AM  #37

Agree. I’d take a defeat Saturday with fringe players getting minutes and no injuries and trade it for 3 points Monday

We can’t compete on 3 fronts and with the FA Trophy coming soon something will have to give

Our best side is a very good one. We have options all over the field so much to look forward to

01/9/2021 9:08 PM  #38

DERBYSHIRE TIMES MATCH REPORT

Ilkeston Town boss Martin Carruthers unhappy at not beating Belper

Ilkeston Town boss Martin Carruthers was disappointed not to have seen off Belper Town in Bank Holiday Monday’s local derby at the Raygar Stadium. The Robins fell behind twice in the 2-2 draw, despite having created several chances to win the game. It means they’re four games unbeaten going into a tough FA Cup first qualifying round tie at Halesowen Town on Saturday, but Carruthers felt it should have been four wins in a row.

He said: “We’re bitterly disappointed. We told the lads at half-time that if we played to our normal strengths we’d win and we knew that their main strengths were from set pieces and the long throw as they’re good at what they do. “We conceded from a throw in the first-half but then it looked like there would only be one team who would win it in the second-half as they sat back and we missed chance after chance in the last 20 minutes. "Then we concede a penalty from a counter-attack and it was poor defending again, and even though we’ve got a point thanks to Zak Goodson’s great finish, we feel like we’ve dropped two points.” 

Belper had led through Danny South’s opener on ten minutes but new signing Paddy Webb netted his first Robins goal just before half-time to level the scores. The Robins saw two efforts cleared off the line and several good openings wasted before Mitchell Tait’s foul on Brodie Litchfield handed Belper a penalty with nine minutes left which Jonny Margetts converted. However, sub Zak Goodson curled a 25-yarder into the top corner to level things with four minutes to go.

Ilkeston now prepare to visit in-form Halesowen Town in the FA Cup first qualifying round on Saturday, ahead of another visit to the Birmingham area on Monday in the shape of Coleshill Town, subject to any necessary FA Cup replays. Carruthers said: “We’ve got a tough weekend ahead again but have to defend better as a team, especially at set pieces which we’ll work on.

"Halesowen is a game we want to go and try and win and keep our momentum going and the unbeaten run going too. We might give one or two lads a run out to freshen things up a bit with an eye on Coleshill but we go there to try and win.”  

03/9/2021 9:37 AM  #39

Does anyone know why Joe Maguire wasn't at the Belper game?

I don't think he was injured in the Bedworth game. 

Was his absence at Belper anything to do with Thursday's England match in Hungary? 

Does Joe have special dispensation to miss matches as Harry's brother and agent?

Last edited by Matchman (03/9/2021 10:14 AM)

03/9/2021 10:43 AM  #40

If Joe was Harry's agent I doubt he would be turning out for Ilkeston Town. He would be too busy counting his millions. Anyway I don't think I would as an English fan want to spend a week in Hungary lapping up the friendly hospitality dispensed by the Magyar Ultras. To say it was a bit 1970's was an under statement. I bet the person responsible for lifting the ban on Hungary was keeping a low profile! I thought Jo had picked up a knock on Monday but I could have imagined it. It is most likely squad rotation as Joe is getting on a bit now!

On a serious note though I was impressed with the England second half performance! 

Board footera