WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/9/2021 3:28 PM  #31

Re: Ilkeston Town v Chasetown : Sat 11 Sep 3pm : Free admission

70’ Brown/Hill with a long range effort and Butlin shoots over We look very vulnerable at the back 1-3

11/9/2021 3:33 PM  #32

74’ GOAL Campbell scores a header from a corner 2-3

11/9/2021 3:35 PM  #33

75’ GOALLLL Wakefield finishes off an exquisite move to pul Ilkeston level 3-3

11/9/2021 3:37 PM  #34

78’ Brown-Hill nearly puts Ilkeston in the lead with a long range shot 3-3

11/9/2021 3:40 PM  #35

80’ GOAL O’Callaghan heads home after being set up be an Ilkeston head from a corner 3-4 Bizarre

11/9/2021 3:41 PM  #36

82’ Goodson comes close 3-4

11/9/2021 3:42 PM  #37

Latest scores after approx 80 minutes 
Belper  2  Cambridge  0
Halesowen  2  Corby  0
Histon  0  Coleshill  2
Ilkeston  3  Chasetown  4
Soham Town Rangers  1  Loughborough 2
Sporting Khalsa  0  Daventry  1
Stamford  3  Bedworth  0
Sutton Coldfield  0  Spalding  1
Wisbech  1  Shepshed  3
Yaxley  1  Carlton  2 

Last edited by Matchman (11/9/2021 3:43 PM)

11/9/2021 3:52 PM  #38

Final score 3-4

11/9/2021 4:01 PM  #39

Full time scores 
Belper  2  Cambridge  1
Halesowen  3  Corby  0   
Histon  0  Coleshill  4    
Ilkeston  3  Chasetown  4
Soham Town Rangers  1  Loughborough 3
Sporting Khalsa  1  Daventry  1
Stamford  4  Bedworth  1
Sutton Coldfield  1  Spalding  1
Wisbech  1  Shepshed  4
Yaxley  1  Carlton  3   

Seems like it all went wrong today 
The fans came but the team blew it. 
We slip from 2nd to 7th.

Last edited by Matchman (11/9/2021 4:04 PM)

11/9/2021 5:00 PM  #40

A mad game

Started well. Should have been 3 up by the time they levelled

At 3 3 we gift possession in the middle then don’t mark properly twice from the corner

They were probably good value based on the last hour. But the game should have been dead by then

Conceded bad goals and looked limited with Campbell isolated until OBH came on. He once more looked bright

We lack energy down the spine. C halves got bullied by a midget 😀 Not sure about the formation either but a chance to put it right comes about quickly

Feel for Charlie Marzano. He’s done ok for me. He’s young & will improve. But not if he keeps being left out of the match day squad completely. If he’d headed it straight to the nine under no pressure for the second goal like the new lad he’d get bombed for sure. He’s made the odd error. But everyone has

11/9/2021 5:43 PM  #41

You are quite right in saying that we should have been out of sight by half time! Their first was sloppy but the last three were calamitous! The second and third we got in a mess but then had a chance to rectify but panicked and gifted them two goals. Obviously confidence was shattered by these mistakes. The fourth goal was another mistake but was a more unfortunate one than totally avoidable one. Defending has been a problem in too many games this season and maybe their needs to be some difficult decisions made before it costs us too many points. Oh by the way the midget is called Joey Butlin and he is a very clever footballer, Despite his size he put Joe Maguire off balance by using his weight and guile to unsettle him. He has been a thorn in defences side for years and you can see why he is always in demand.
On a positive note we looked deadly going forward at times and 1797 fans!! It will be interesting to see what the team is on Tuesday.

11/9/2021 8:29 PM  #42

MATCH REPORT
ILKESTON TOWN 3 CHASETOWN 4
Northern Premier League – Midlands Division   Saturday 11thSeptember

Ilkeston Town lost a game that they started brightly in front of 1797 fans. Chasetown took advantage of some very unfortunate defensive mistakes by Ilkeston to take a two goal lead but the Robins clawed the way back on terms only for the visitors to win the game in the last ten minutes.

Remaye Campbell opened the scoring for Ilkeston Town on eleven minutes after some excellent inter passing by Wakefield and Goodson. The Robins were unable to build on their lead and Chasetown slowly got back into the game. Dangerman Joey Butlin had a few efforts easily saved by Ross Durrant and Billy Bennett and Aman Verma both missed chances to score for the Robins.

The inevitable happened when Ilkeston failed to clear a corner and Butlin scored from close range just before the break. On 51 minutes Butlin got his second goal when a series of defensive mistakes presented him with a chance that strikers of his quality rarely fail to take. Ilkeston however continued to carve out chances and when another flowing ended when the lively Goodson just failed to get on the end of a Bennett cross.

Calamity struck again on 65 minutes after yet another defensive mix up left Jack Langstone able to lob Durrant from 25 yards to extend Chasetown’s lead. Despite their defensive frailties Ilkeston continued to push forward and on 73 minutes Campbell scored his second goal of the game when he headed home from a corner. A minute later Charlie Wakefield finished off an exquisite Ilkeston move with a sharp finish to bring the `Robins level.

On 78 minutes substitute Ollie Brown-Hill almost gave Ilkeston the lead with a fine long-range drive but two minutes later the gremlins struck again when from a corner the ball was headed across his own goal by Campbell for O’Callaghan to score from close range. Goodson came close to bringing back into the game gain but Chasetown professionally condemned Ilkeston to another home defeat which maybe could and should have been avoided.

Written  by John Shiels

11/9/2021 8:40 PM  #43

Butlin is quality. But no better than Remaye

Difference was he had players in support either side of him. Remaye was on his own

We need legs. We need energy. We need to be fitter. For me Wakefield had to play centrally. And OBH needs a run of games

New rb no better than Marzano who I feel sorry for. Do we need 2 defensive c mids? At home? And 2 left backs? We have the players to take it to the opposition. Let’s do it

11/9/2021 9:03 PM  #44

Northern Premier League Midland Division
3:00pm Saturday 11th September 2021 

Ilkeston Town 3 (1)
Campbell 11’ 73’ Wakefield 75’ 

Chasetown  4 (1)
Butlin 41’ 51’ Langston 65’ O’Callaghan 80’
Att 1797

Ilkeston Town Line Up:- Durrant, Tomlin, Tait, Wakefield, Maguire, Fenton, Goodson, Verma, Campbell, Bennett (Brown-Hill 59’) and Reid. 
Subs not used Irvine, Rogers, Carvell and Stainsby.

Chasetown Line Up:-  Pond, Melbourne (Hayward 70’), Evans, Wynter, Parsons, McGinnell, Kirton (Curtis 86’), Langston, Butlin, O’Callaghan and Ashford.
Subs not used Taylor, Haddaway and Crook.

Notes  Kyle Tomlin made his debut 

P 7 W 4 D 1 L 2 F 20 A 13 Pts 13   Pos 7th

Player Stats 20-21  --  Career 
Durrant  9 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals  -- 54 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals 
Bennett 7 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 2 goals  -- 88 apps 7 sub 12 unused sub 6 goals 
Spence 3 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals  -- 3 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals 
Wakefield 8 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 4 goals  -- 8 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 4 goals 
Maguire 6 apps 0 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals  -- 24 apps 1 sub 2 unused sub 2 goals 
Fenton 8 apps 0 sub 1 unused sub 2 goals  -- 39 apps 0 sub10 unused sub 2 goals 
Marzano 4 apps 0 sub 1 unused sub 0 goals  -- 12 apps 0 sub 3 unused sub 0 goals 
Goodson 6 apps 3 sub 0 unused sub 4 goals  -- 18 apps 4 sub 0 unused sub 13 goals 
Campbell 6 apps 3 sub 0 unused sub 6 goals  -- 6 apps 3 sub 0 unused sub 6 goals
Troke 7 apps 0 sub 1 unused sub 4 goals -- 19 apps 0 sub 1 unused sub 16 goals
Tait 8 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals  --14 apps 1 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals
Carvell 3 apps 4 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals  -- 3 apps 4 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals 
Verma 6 apps 3 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals  -- 6 apps 3 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals 
Rogers 2 apps 2 sub 3 unused sub 0 goals  -- 2 apps 2 sub 3 unused sub 0 goals 
Stainsby 0 apps 0 sub 7 unused sub 0 goals  -- 4 apps 0 sub 43 unused sub 0 goals
Irvine 3 apps 1 sub 4 unused sub 0 goals  -- 3 apps 1 sub 4 unused sub 0 goals
Frances 2 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals  -- 2 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals
Reid 6 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals  -- 18 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 1 goal
Brown-Hill 2 apps 4 sub 1 unused sub 0 goals  -- 15 apps 4 sub 0 unused sub 1 goal
Webb 2 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 1 goal  -- 2 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 1 goal
Watson 0 apps 0 sub 2 unused sub 0 goal  -- 0 apps 0 sub 4 unused sub 0 goal
Tomlin 1 app 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goal  -- 1 aps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goal

Next Game
7:45pm Tuesday 14th September 2021
Spalding United home NPL Midland Division

11/9/2021 9:05 PM  #45

Dick Durrant wrote:

Butlin is quality. But no better than Remaye

Difference was he had players in support either side of him. Remaye was on his own

We need legs. We need energy. We need to be fitter. For me Wakefield had to play centrally. And OBH needs a run of games

New rb no better than Marzano who I feel sorry for. Do we need 2 defensive c mids? At home? And 2 left backs? We have the players to take it to the opposition. Let’s do it

Good points Well made i am glad I only have to post on here and not really pick the team. Tuesday will be hopefully a chance to put things right and build on the positive things from today. Come on Ilson!!

13/9/2021 1:30 PM  #46

Got to win Tues and cant afford to loose next Sat ... simple really . But the trouble is we leak goals ....

13/9/2021 3:09 PM  #47

I think the issue for the management might be that the two centre backs are key members of the team. Maguire can win everything in the air and Fenton's distribution is excellent. Maybe they both are not the fastest. Durrant is considered one of the best keepers in the league (That came from the Chasetown officials). Tait and Tomlin are young and are learning their trade. Therefore if you change anything are you going to drop one or more of the back five and if so Who? Maybe the defensive issue is a whole team issue and the whole team has to take responsibility to rectify the issues?
Maybe Billy Bennet should be back in defence and maybe Stern Irvine should get another chance. It might be a case of looking at what has been going wrong in terms of organisation and putting it right on the training pitch. 
Whatever happens probably needs to happen before it effects the confidence of the whole team! I am sure Gandi and his team have it in hand!

13/9/2021 4:03 PM  #48

​I wasn't at the game so I can't comment on Saturday's performance. But I was surprised that we'd signed another full back, especially an inexperienced full back on loan. I agree with Dick that Charlie Marzano seems to be getting a rough deal . Also why wasn't Rashaan Frances picked?  I don't know about injuries so that may be the answer. And why was Billy Bennett, one of our best players, moved to accommodate the new lad?
Personally I'm a big fan of Stern Irvine and think he should be somewhere in our defence. So why bring in an inexperienced loan player when we already have Billy Bennett, Rashaan Frances, Charlie Marzano and Stern Irvine capable of filling that position. 
Just my opinion of course, and we're all entitled to one

14/9/2021 8:08 AM  #49

Sorry for the late post.

What a strange game. First 20 minutes we played really well, attacked as a team, defended as a team, looked full of confidence, and could easily have been 2 or 3 goals up. But then Chasetown got a foothold in the game and it all started to fall apart. 

We've conceded 13 goals in 7 league games and 8 goals in 3 home league games. Just not good enough.

For the last hour of the game, defensively, we were a shambles. I've long had doubts about Fenton as a defender but Maguire was shocking on Saturday; was it just a blip, an off-game, is his mind elsewhere, who knows? 

I know it was the young right-back's first game but he was poor. We've all got 50/50 hindsight but it would have been a better idea to have Tait and Bennett at full-back and play Brown-Hill at left midfield.

I think Tait could become a good footballer but has he taken a step back in recent games? Too many times he makes bad decisions, lunging in for tackles and headers he hasn't got a hope of winning and giving away needless free-kicks.

If we're to push for promotion I think we need a couple of Step 3 class defenders. And quickly. But is it simply a back-line problem, or are we also not shielding the back-line well enough? Would someone please tell me what Verma brings to the team? You never seem to notice anythng he does on the pitch.

Do you start questioning the manager? Is he tinkering too much with the starting eleven we're putting out for different games? Is he expecting too much from the players, playing in different roles and in different positions? Surely you have to build up some sort of familiarity and stability in the team?

I'm getting frustrated with lack of information from the club. Where do I find out where Troke was on Saturday?  Was he injured after the head-butt in the previous game? Where was Paddy Webb? Is the information available and I'm missing it? I'm not expecting Premier League standard media relations, but a bit more info would be good to keep us all informed.

I just hope we can rebound tonight and against Carlton at the weekend. 

Last edited by Trowell Nicky (14/9/2021 8:09 AM)

Board footera