WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/10/2021 7:31 PM  #31

Re: Ilkeston Town v Soham Town Rangers 16th October 2021

I didn't see exactly what happened when Adam Chapman saw red, I was too far away. All I saw was a   confrontation. I was told after the match that Chapman was punched and he reacted by putting his hands round his opponent's neck. If that was the case then I'm afraid Chapman's retaliation caused him to get the red card. Sorry but retaliation always gets punished. It was a great pity because I thought he was looking like a really good addition to the squad. 
If anyone witnessed exactly what happened I would be pleased to hear their version of events. 

Re the match, despite being superior we made life difficult for ourselves by not taking our chances in the first half. Their goal looked a fluke but Soham did  play better than I expected. We didn't play badly in the first half but going behind brings extra pressure. It all came good in the second half and we looked like scoring in every attack. I thought Verma and Chapman made the difference and deserve some credit for the turnaround. Wakefield is in my opinion our best player, consistently good every match. I also thought Webb did well. My Man of the Match was Finley Iron the Soham goalkeeper who had an outstanding game.

16/10/2021 7:53 PM  #32

Spot on Dick! I thought Chapman and Verma changed the course of the game when introduced. They bought energy and decisiveness to the Ilkeston performance. Charlie Wakefield had another excellent game. The minute we scored Soham looked a beaten side and to be honest we may be should have won by more. The conversation with the referees assessors must have been interesting. Lovely people from Soham its a pity they did not stay for a drink in the clocktower at the end. Their keeper had a great game despite being small for a keeper he made some excellent saves. I thought in the first half we were wanting to play too many passes and take too many touches which made it easier for Soham to regroup and defend. After the break we were more direct which allowed our superior skill level to show and dominate. 
Overall a good three points!

16/10/2021 8:13 PM  #33

I was close to Chappy’s red. He grabbed their lads shirt. Not his neck. So only yellow. Tbh it was only handbags. A better ref would have dealt with it better

16/10/2021 10:39 PM  #34

Yes we were not good first half but dont forget they were throwing bodies everywhere . We don't especially in the midfield . Plus let's not forget Ross's great save in the first half . Game changer for me .
Second half omg the changes made a massive difference . Three great assists from Billy fur the goals . It could have been more if it wasn't for their last ditch tackles  but mainly their keeper made a load of simple but good saves . Motm fir me .
Our motm ... for me Charlie Wakefield .
On their fans they were in the small bar after the game , I was talking to a few of them , great bunch of fans .  They were saying they can't wait to see us down at their ground.

17/10/2021 3:24 AM  #35

Tommy Williams makes a difference too. Proper old school full back

Only conceded 3 in 6 after a few issues in the ‘goals against’ column early season. One was a pen, one and OG and yesterday’s a complete shanked fluke. Bit more composure at the other end yesterday and we win 6 or 7 Kev

Did it the hard way but won comfortably in the end

17/10/2021 9:02 AM  #36

Sat 16th October : Northern Premier League
Ilkeston Town  3  Soham Town Rangers  1
After trailing at half time Ilkeston produced a stirring comeback to take the points and sustain their promotion challenge. Soham Town Rangers were overwhelmed by a breathtaking six minute spell when the Robins scored three times but Ilkeston’s day was marred by the sending off of debutant Adam Chapman. The margin of victory would have been greater but for an outstanding performance from Soham keeper Finley Iron.
It was a game Ilkeston expected to win but they failed to make a break through in a frustrating first half. Billy Bennett was making good surges down the left and from one of his crosses Ollie Brown-Hill’s header was just off target. Iron blocked a close range shot by Alex Troke then Troke himself got in the way of a Tommy Williams effort as Ilkeston looked for an opening goal. It was Soham though, who took a surprise lead when defender Alistair Conway found the net. Ilkeston stormed back and a Zak Goodson header slammed against the post. On 37 minutes Ilkeston were awarded a penalty when Joe Maguire was brought down but Iron pulled off a fine save from Troke. A Charlie Wakefield shot hit a defender as the onslaught continued but Soham nearly got a second just before half time but were denied by an excellent save by Ross Durrant.
The inclusion of Aman Verma and Adam Chapman for the second half gave Ilkeston a boost and it was Verma who equalised on 63 minutes with a power header from Bennett’s cross. Just two minutes later Ilkeston were ahead. Troke’s header was on its way in when Paddy Webb made sure. On 69 minutes the hard working Webb made it 3-1. His first effort was pushed out by Iron but Webb followed up to score. Ilkeston had the ball in the net twice more but on both occasions there had been an infringement. With ten minutes left Chapman’s retaliation after being punched resulted in him seeing red and there was time for Iron to produced a brilliant double save in the final minutes. 

17/10/2021 6:55 PM  #37

Northern Premier League Midland Division
3:00pm Saturday 16th October 2021 

Ilkeston Town 0 (3)
Verma 63‘
Troke 67‘
Webb 69‘

Daventry Town 1 (1)
Conway 31’

Att 552

Ilkeston Town – Durrant, Williams, Bennett, Wakefield, Maguire, Fenton, Goodson (Carvell 78’), Brown-Hill (Verma 55’), Webb, Troke and Reid (Chapman 55’). 
Subs not used Frances and Foster. 
Soham Town Rangers – Iron, Conway, Kelly, Kaye, Chaffey, Watson, Groves (Auger 46’), Andrews (Okay 46’), Rogers, Mulready and Bennett (Seymour-Shove 58’).

Notes Billy Bennett made his 100thappearance for Ilkeston Town.

P 11 W 7 D 2 L 2 F 36 A 15 Pts 23   Pos 3rd

Player Stats 20-21  --  Career 
Durrant  15 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals  -- 60 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals 
Bennett 12 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 4 goals  -- 93 apps 7 subs 12 unused sub 8 goals 
Spence 3 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals  -- 3 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals 
Wakefield 14 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 5 goals  -- 14 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 5 goals 
Maguire 11 apps 0 sub 2 unused sub 1 goal  -- 28 apps 1 sub 2 unused sub 3 goals 
Fenton 13 apps 0 sub 1 unused sub 2 goals  -- 44 apps 0 sub1 unused sub 2 goals 
Marzano 4 apps 0 sub 1 unused sub 0 goals  -- 12 apps 0 sub 3 unused sub 0 goals 
Goodson 12 apps 3 sub 0 unused sub 7 goals  -- 24 apps 4 sub 0 unused sub 16 goals 
Campbell 10 apps 3 sub 0 unused sub 7 goals  -- 10 apps 3 sub 0 unused sub 7 goals
Troke 13 apps 0 sub 1 unused sub 8 goals -- 25 apps 0 sub 1 unused sub 20 goals
Tait 10 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals  --16 apps 1 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals
Carvell 5 apps 8 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals  -- 5 apps 8 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals 
Verma 7 apps 5 sub 0 unused sub 1 goal  -- 7 apps 5 sub 0 unused sub 1 goal 
Rogers 2 apps 3 sub 6 unused sub 0 goals  -- 2 apps 3 sub 6 unused sub 0 goals 
Stainsby 0 apps 0 sub 8 unused sub 0 goals  -- 4 apps 0 sub 44 unused sub 0 goals
Irvine 6 apps 1 sub 5 unused sub 0 goals  -- 6 apps 1 sub 5 unused sub 0 goals
Frances 3 apps 1 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals  -- 3 apps 1 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals
Reid 10 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals  -- 22 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 1 goal
Brown-Hill 7 apps 5 sub 1 unused sub 1 goals  -- 20 apps 5 sub 0 unused sub 2 goals
Webb 3 apps 5 sub 1 unused sub 3 goals  -- 3 apps 5 sub 1 unused sub 3 goals
Watson 0 apps 0 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals -- 0 apps 0 sub 4 unused sub 0 goals
Tomlin 3 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals – 3 apps 1 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals 
Williams 3 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals – 3 apps 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals
Foster 0 apps 0 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals – 0 apps 0 sub 2 unused sub 0 goals
Chapman 1 app 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals-- 1 app 0 sub 0 unused sub 0 goals

Next Game
3:00pm Saturday 23rd October 2021
Halesowen Town away Northern Premier League Midland Division

Board footera