WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27/11/2021 10:24 PM  #61

Re: Yaxley v Ilkeston - Sat 27th Nov 2021

Well that was bloody hard for all involved . Felt sorry for the players, officials and the fans . They all tried their best to make a game of it . The game as expected was not the best . To be fair the first half Yaxley were the better team but the second half I thought we were slightly the better.
Then came the darkness with the floodlights going off . We all thought that's it but no the game carried on after a short interval.
I was just in a conversation with Nally about not getting three points then GOAAAAAAAL in the final minute . We had a quiet celebration of course  .......sorry we went mental 😂😂😂
   Did we Rob the game ( according to Stanford official who was apparently there ) . I would say to that person if don't score you are liable to loose . So tough .
  Great support again from the fans singing before , half time and at the end was brilliant in the clubhouse . Not much singing during the game but you can understand why .

27/11/2021 10:47 PM  #62

' 

Sat 27th November 2021   Northern Premier League
Yaxley  0   Ilkeston Town  1
With ten minutes left it looked like the atrocious conditions would to enable Yaxley to end Ilkeston’s seven match winning sequence. Then the floodlights went out and it looked like the game would be abandoned. After a ten minute delay the lights came back on and the game restarted. It still looked like a stalemate but in the dying moments substitute Ollie Brown-Hill guided a header past Yaxley’s keeper. it was hard on Yaxley who had played better than their league position would suggest. 
It was very cold and extremely windy and the first half produced few chances. For Yaxley, a decent effort by Harmeed Ishola was too high and Ilkeston’s nearest was when Jared Bird’s cross was just out of Zak Goodson’s reach. Kieran Fenton’s free kick was saved by Will Larkin and Goodson fired over from a Tommy Williams pass.
Ilkeston started the second half on the front foot but Yaxley were defending well. There were no clear cut opportunities and Ilkeston’s fans were resigned to dropping points until Brown-Hill’s late winner saved the day. 

Last edited by Matchman (28/11/2021 8:45 AM)

28/11/2021 10:09 AM  #63

Were we lucky ? Of course we were. When your winner doesn’t look like coming but then does do right at the death then yes that’s lucky for us and unlucky for Yaxley. On the other hand, had the playing conditions been normal, I’m confident that we would have won the match more easily. The ferocious wind took away Ilkeston’s player superiority. But well done to Yaxley for pushing us all the way. 
William Larkin the Yaxley keeper was guilty of some blatant time wasting all through the second half but while frustrating for us it was understandable. If we had dropped points it would have been a massive disappointment for the fans on such a dreadfully cold day.
Ollie’s late winner changed the mood from frustration to euphoria with unbounded celebrations in the Yaxley clubhouse. “We are top of the league, We are top of the league” was deafening.  

28/11/2021 10:43 AM  #64

Their keeper was wasting time early in the  first half cause I shouted out to him "going for a draw then are we keep? ! "

28/11/2021 12:30 PM  #65

Match Report on Yaxley website and the one used in the Non-League Paper

MATCH REPORT: YAXLEY 0-1 ILKESTON TOWN
BY DANIEL TORTOISE Resilient Cuckoos beaten by late Ilkeston goal
A quiet first half saw few notable chances for either side as both struggled with the wet and windy conditions. The best chance of the half came Yaxley’s way in the 15th minute when Hameed Ishola volleyed a cross over the bar.Ilkeston came close to taking the lead in the 65th minute when Tommy Williams got in behind the Yaxley defence, only for his effort to be cleared off the line. In the 80th minute, with neither side looking any more likely to score, the floodlights went out and an abandonment looked likely.However, the floodlights were back on ten minutes later and the match resumed. Seven minutes later, Ollie Brown-Hill scored the winner for Ilkeston with a free header after William Larkin failed to punch the ball clear.

28/11/2021 12:40 PM  #66

Yesterday's programme can be viewed on line by clicking here >>> https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/files.pitchero.com/clubs/23197/fiqmC2uGRyKp0TxEjaW0_2021-11-27%20Ilkeston%20Town%20(League).pdf
As a few adverts in their 44 pages which makes you appreciate the work that Danny Draper puts in on our programme. However on line programmes are the future despite what the purists say.

28/11/2021 12:55 PM  #67

After match comments allegedly from a Stamford fan rather than a Yaxley fan. It would appear that some Daniels have got a bit rattled by their average start to the season.

"At the Yaxley v Ilkeston game this afternoon when 10m from the end, a huge flash of lightning struck over Peterborough area and put all the lights out. Everyone left the pitch and people were leaving the ground. Peterborough v Barnsley was also blacked out. By the time I got to my car the bloody lights came back on, so quickly reversed back into my spot and went back in to find Ref restarting the game. Ilkeston fans overjoyed when Brown-Hill scored in the dying seconds - daylight robbery as Yaxley fully deserved a point as they were the better team on the day."

Perhaps Yaxley did deserve a point but in the end football matches are decided by the team who actually score the most goals not the team who deserved to.

28/11/2021 7:04 PM  #68

Really pleased for Ollie Brown-Hill. He’s had to make do with substitute appearances recently and each time he has come on, he’s shown energy, determination and commitment. Yesterday he got his reward scoring the winner. When he came into the clubhouse after the match, the Ilkeston fans let him know how much he is appreciated. 

29/11/2021 8:50 AM  #69

Not one of our better performances but we got the result. The wind was awful and made it difficult for us to play our normal passing game. For a change we had our defenders and Ross to thank as they never looked like conceding a goal. I can only think of one decent opportunity that Yaxley had. That was in the first half when Ishola let fly from distance with the wind behind him and it cleared the bar. Whilst Ross didn't have too many shots to save his judgement in dealing with crosses and corners in the wind was spot on. Finally, It's very rare that a sub gets man of the match but no doubt about it, Ollie won us the game and those two extra points may prove vital come the end of the season
Also well done to all three match officials. The referee must have been good because I didn't hear anyone criticise him.
It was a truly awful day for the two linos, they must have been starved .

Last edited by Matchman (30/11/2021 1:22 PM)

29/11/2021 3:41 PM  #70

WhiteBallProject wrote:

After match comments allegedly from a Stamford fan rather than a Yaxley fan. It would appear that some Daniels have got a bit rattled by their average start to the season.

"At the Yaxley v Ilkeston game this afternoon when 10m from the end, a huge flash of lightning struck over Peterborough area and put all the lights out. Everyone left the pitch and people were leaving the ground. Peterborough v Barnsley was also blacked out. By the time I got to my car the bloody lights came back on, so quickly reversed back into my spot and went back in to find Ref restarting the game. Ilkeston fans overjoyed when Brown-Hill scored in the dying seconds - daylight robbery as Yaxley fully deserved a point as they were the better team on the day."

Perhaps Yaxley did deserve a point but in the end football matches are decided by the team who actually score the most goals not the team who deserved to.

What might have upset  the Stamford fan was the fact that Ilkeston Town's  substitute Ollie Brown-Hill,  who scored the winning goal and also gained the Man of the Match award, was a former Stamford player and when we played them a very popular and valuable member of their team.

30/11/2021 3:13 PM  #71

FROM THE PETERBOROUGH TELEGRAPH 

The lights went at Yaxley FC as well as Peterborough United yesterday (November 27) 

The local power outage struck at In2itive Park late in their home game with Northern Premier Midlands Division leaders Ilkeston Town and the short break helped the visitors who returned to score an 88th-minute winner. Ilkeston are managed by former Posh striker Martin Carruthers, while another ex-Posh forward Andy Furnell manages Yaxley.

Spalding United were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Bedworth with Ben Starkie equalising for the Tulips early in the second-half.

The matches involving Stamford AFC, Wisbech Town and Deeping Rangers were postponed because of unfit pitches.

Last edited by Matchman (30/11/2021 3:22 PM)

30/11/2021 8:27 PM  #72

I cant see how the Peterborough Telegraph can say the ten minute delay helped Ilkeston more than Yaxley. Perhaps Ilkeston were as lucky league leaders  allowed to go in the luxury changing rooms to keep warm whilst Yaxley who are victims and plucky locals had to stay on the field and freeze in the Siberian wind sweeping over the Fens. Anyway good to see the local paper sending a reporting team to Yaxley.

30/11/2021 11:21 PM  #73

Matchman wrote:

Really pleased for Ollie Brown-Hill. He’s had to make do with substitute appearances recently and each time he has come on, he’s shown energy, determination and commitment. Yesterday he got his reward scoring the winner. When he came into the clubhouse after the match, the Ilkeston fans let him know how much he is appreciated. 

It was brilliant in the clubhouse after the game with the fans non stop singing . Every player that came in got a round of applause ,with some getting their name sung . The fans even got a few players singing as in Zak and Alex especially . But like you say when Ollie came in he got the biggest cheer of all . Really glad for him as he is a really good player although only coming as sub most of the time he puts a massive shift in .

Board footera