WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23/12/2021 8:05 PM  #1

Paddy Webb joins Basford

NEW SIGNING: PADDY WEBB
BY MARC WILLIAMS  39 MINUTES AGO 

Striker makes the move from Derbyshire...Basford United have completed the signing of Paddy Webb from Ilkeston Town. The forward, 23, joined the Robins from Mickleover back in August following a prolific spell at Eastwood Community, where he is the all-time appearance maker and goal scorer – tallying an impressive total of 121 – since their re-form in 2014. He has played at junior level for both Derby County and Mansfield Town, as well as stints at Nottingham Forest’s academy. Webb arrives at Greenwich Avenue after fellow new signings Kieran Wells, Mitchell Tait and Sean Devlin and will be available for Monday’s trip to former side Mickleover in the Northern Premier League.

I’m really pleased to have signed for Basford and it couldn’t have come at a better time,” he said. “I’ve grown up in the area which makes this move even better – I’m buzzing to get going!  When I heard the gaffer was interested and I spoke to him, I didn’t have to give it a second thought. I couldn’t turn down a chance to sign here, especially with how well the club have done in recent years. What a day Monday will be. However, taking 3 points home is all I’m interested in. Whoever the opposition is, there is always a job to be getting on with a point to prove.” 

On capturing his signature, boss Steve Chettle added: “I’ve known Paddy since he was 9 and have followed his development at Eastwood, Mickleover and Ilkeston, which has been excellent.He’s an athletic striker who is eager to improve and progress at this level - we’re delighted to have him join us at Basford United.”  

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I'm starting to dislike Basford. I appreciate that Webb wasn't getting regular game time but I rated him.
I'm still upset about Mitchell Tait going there.

Last edited by Matchman (23/12/2021 8:13 PM)

24/12/2021 1:22 PM  #2

Re: Paddy Webb joins Basford

Very disappointed to hear this. What a valuable asset to bring on with half an hour to go to change a game. Jeez, we’ll miss that. Does he seriously think he’s going to get more game time at Basford? Not sure what’s going on at Basford – Kieran Wells, Mitchell Tait, Paddy Webb, Reco Fyfe (I appreciate he’s now left) – players most teams at Step 4 would gladly take I’m sure, but to play in a league above? Not sure. Maybe finances are getting a little tight at Basford, but there again, where aren’t they?

24/12/2021 3:41 PM  #3

yeah slightly gutted he`s gone but going to Basford to get first team playing i very much doubt it ....

24/12/2021 4:31 PM  #4

There is a very intelligent and through explanation of the reasons he has been allowed to leave on Facebook.  It makes more sense after you have read it.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546821015630660/permalink/2987161538263260/

24/12/2021 7:35 PM  #5

John, re the comments in that thread, a difference of opinion as to whether Paddy was worth a place in our squad (I certainly think he was), and someone saying that the model that works for clubs like ours is to take ex-academy players from higher level clubs, that academies at clubs at our level tend not to work because all the best youngsters have been signed to the academies at Step 1 and Step 2 clubs, and that at our level there aren't large sums involved when a player leaves for another club.

I read some comments last night (must have been in a different thread) where someone seemed to be saying that our owners were in financial trouble, with Maxwell Cohen being dissolved, amongst other things. Did you see those comments and I just wondered if those comments were the ones you were referring to re Paddy leaving? I certainly hope there was nothing in those comments.

Last edited by Trowell Nicky (24/12/2021 7:36 PM)

25/12/2021 3:23 PM  #6

The comments I read were nothing about Maxwell Cohen but about Paddy Webb

Board footera