WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/1/2022 8:59 PM  #61

Re: Soham Town Rangers v Ilkeston : Sat 22nd Jan 2022

Hard fought win. Bobbly pitch and much improved opposition

Spent much of the game in second gear but raised it when necessary. Another pen conceded. We do give a lot away

Hope injuries to Bennett & Bird aren’t too bad

Chapman best player on the pitch by a mile. Two great strikes but his game management is a lesson for all. Helps it on when he needs to. Puts his foot on it at the right time too. Constantly ‘taking pictures’ of the game around him which buys him time when he gets the ball

It’s a bloody long way to Soham. So good to return with 3 points

22/1/2022 10:20 PM  #62

Soham certainly gave us a good game and yes the pitch was bobbly. Soham didn't really deserve to be on the wrong end of a 5-2 defeat but it's goals that count.  Ilkeston were the better side and although it could have gone wrong Soham didn't really look like equalising.  I thought Chapman, Fenton and Campbell were our star players on an afternoon when we weren't at our best. 
I thought we were fortunate that the referee didn't show a red card when Alex Troke accidentally elbowed their player in the first half.  
Billy Bennett's injury looked a nasty one and I'm thinking he may not be available for the Halesowen match.

23/1/2022 9:54 AM  #63

Sat 22nd January 2021   Northern Premier League
Soham Town Rangers  2  Ilkeston Town  5
When Soham pulled a goal back in the 75th minute there was the possibility of an upset but two goals in added time enabled Ilkeston to repeat the 5-2 scoreline of the previous week. Soham got off to a flyer when they scored in their first real attack. The hosts had to withstand some early pressure before Side Atacha made a surging run down the left and crossed for Ollie Ward to score from close range. The goal gave Soham confidence and It took until the 19th minute for Ilkeston to level through Zak Goodson. Ilkeston then started to dominate and a Goodson effort crashed against the crossbar. Soham’s reprieve was short lived though and Ilkeston were ahead on 40 minutes through Charlie Wakefield. 
Ilkeston started the second half with a sustained assault on the Soham goal. First Finley Iron parried Remaye Campbell’s shot then a defender blocked Alex Troke’s strike. Next to have a go was Adam Chapman and his effort found a way through on 47 minutes. Ilkeston were now looking comfortable and Kieran Fenton nearly made it 4-1 with a free kick which brought a fine save from Iron. Ally Conway tested Ross Durrant and on 74 minutes Soham were unexpectedly back in the game with an Edgar Morais penalty after the ball had struck Tommy Williams arm. Soham then pushed forward but without any real threat. At the other end, Iron saved well from both Nathan Caine and Goodson as Ilkeston looked for another goal. On 90 minutes Adam Chapman made the game safe when he found the top corner with a perfectly struck free kick. There was time for another goal when Ollie Brown-Hill’s fine run was ended by a trip in the area. Campbell took the penalty which was pushed out by Iron but Campbell followed up to make it 5-2.

Last edited by Matchman (23/1/2022 10:11 AM)

23/1/2022 10:30 AM  #64

Great match report as usual mate.

The mayor issues I have over the last month or so is we seem to be letting teams have to many chances and also how many penalties we are giving away.

Some have been a bit dodgy like the one v sporting and Stamford but one of these days we are going to come unstuck.

Great win yesterday lads set next week up to be a cracker.

23/1/2022 12:14 PM  #65

In my opinion both penalties yesterday were correct decisions. Tommy's arm was outstretched when the ball hit him so it a penalty had to be given. 

23/1/2022 2:06 PM  #66

I agree with Alex. We do let teams create a lot of chances against us

But I guess it’s a consequence of the ‘you score 2 we’ll score 3’ approach and whilst one column keeps outweighing there other we’ll be ok

We’ve done well v good sides this season. Next week will bring the best out in us I hope. I’d take a point

23/1/2022 6:25 PM  #67

PITCHING IN NORTHERN PREMIER LEAGUE

Near enough as you were in the @PitchingIn_ Midlands with @ilkestontown_fc and @halesowentownfc remaining joint top.
@StamfordAFC1896 leap over Belper with 4-1 win against them while @lborodynamofc deny Carlton a chance to move into playoff spots while @cambridgecityfc move 10th  

Last edited by Matchman (23/1/2022 6:27 PM)

29/1/2022 9:32 AM  #68

FROM SUFFOLKNEWS NON LEAGUE ROUNDUP 

Meanwhile, in the equivalent level Pitching In Northern League Midlands Division, Soham Town Rangers suffered a 5-2 home defeat at the hands of table-topping Ilkeston Town.
Ollie Ward had given the hosting Greens a third-minute lead before the visitors racked up three goals without reply. A 74th-minute penalty from new signing Edgar Morais cut the deficit to 3-2, but a couple of late goals sealed Ilkeston's victory.
The defeat leaves second-from-bottom Soham still seven points from guaranteed safety.

Board footera