WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29/11/2021 11:35 AM  #1

What's gone wrong at Basford?

Basford have only won one of their last six matches. Only Grantham have done worse.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/northern-premier-league-premier-division/form-guide

29/11/2021 1:43 PM  #2

Re: What's gone wrong at Basford?

To be fair to Basford four of their last six games have been against inform sides and sides at the top of the table. Only Hyde do not fit into that category and they beat them. On paper it looks like a poor run of form and to be real promotion candidates you need to beat the teams at the top.

29/11/2021 1:51 PM  #3

Ive just watched the video of their defeat at Ashton and their keeper had a nightmare with the first goal and the defence was all over the place for the second and third, They did however when 3-0 down hit the woodwork twice.

10/12/2021 7:47 AM  #4

Maybe Mitchell Tait can turn things round for Basford who have now gone six games without a win.

And they tempt supporters to their match on Dec 18th with £5 worth of free raffle tickets.

https://www.basfordunited.com/news/christmas-party-confirmed-2667998.html

Last edited by Matchman (10/12/2021 10:26 AM)

02/1/2022 9:26 PM  #5

Chairman is stepping down

Last edited by Alex (03/1/2022 10:34 AM)

03/1/2022 10:31 AM  #6

Well spotted Alex : 

​CLUB STATEMENT: CHRIS MUNROE   BY MARC WILLIAMS    16 HOURS AGO

Chairman outlines retirement plans...
Basford United FC Owner and Chairman Chris Munroe has confirmed to the club's Senior Committee that he will step down as Chairman of Basford United FC at an appropriate point without putting any financial risk on the club.  At the same time, both parties will market the club for investment as the club aims to enter the next stage of its expansion and progression. 
For now, the Munroe family will remain 100% legal owners and directors of the Football Club and will ultimately provide a level of financial support over the remainder of the 21/22 and complete 22/23 season, as the club's ownership structure evolves. 
Speaking, Chris Munroe confirmed the following statement: "The decision my family has taken has been thought out over the last two months and caps the beginning of the end of the most glorious spell for me since joining Basford United in 2006 as manager, and ultimately Chairman and Owner."Almost every single year has been sensational with vast success, and I can truly look back over this sixteen-year period as the best years of my football life that has spanned 50 years.
"Without question, the last two curtailed seasons have hit the club, my ambition and pocket very hard; without question, I firmly believe we would have achieved promotion without these circumstances. "However, now it is time for my family to pursue other interests out of football which we are just as excited about.
"The Club model is so unique, with seventy-five years remaining on the ground lease, a four hectare site, a high-quality full-time academy and an ever-growing junior and youth phase, which means we have a very sustainable business model, and the club is prime for expansion.
"The ultimate dream remains to continue upwards to the National League and, ultimately, the Football League. Unfortunately, if I were ten years younger, this would fit perfectly for me, but I am not, and my timing and that of the clubs lends itself to someone coming in to fulfil this ambition.
"With the club achieving five promotions and firmly positioned as the third biggest club in Nottingham City, within three promotions to the Football League, I take immense credit to have headed this and to have developed a first team, academy, youth structure, stadia and culture for our fans and community to be proud of. 
"The club has a solid infrastructure, bar and catering function, youth and junior section, full-time academy and income stream that provides a sound foundation."My family and I feel this provides the platform for continued growth. I will, though, be continuing the CFC/CIC side of the Community Football Club for the foreseeable future in my current trustee capacity.
 "I will be overseeing the various exciting projects the Community side has in the pipeline; this will also include the soon to be completed new clubhouse and plans for further development of the facility. "As continued owner of the football club, I will still oversee for the foreseeable future the financial running of the club, the ultimate senior levels of the club, but not the day-to-day operations. 
"I truly believe the club remains on the cusp of continued greatness and has such a great pool of committed people that the intention to target the National League and, ultimately, the Football League is one of significant possibility with the right investment.
"I have truly met and built special friendships with so many people, and without question, the next four to seventeen months will be the toughest of my football life as the clock ticks down.
"Myself and my wife Joanne will always remain fans of Basford United FC and will have the clubs best wishes at heart, and I want this club to continue its meteoric rise.
"Any further clarity on the above statement can be obtained by emailing: info.admin@basfordunitedfc.com

############################

Despite Chris Munroe’s upbeat remarks many will now fear for Basford’s future. He alone is the real reason for Basford’s rise through the ranks. I doubt if they will find another owner prepared to put money in like he has done. The unfortunate fact is, Basford are unlikely to increase their fan base due to their close proximity to Nottingham where they compete for support with Forest and County. Basford have never enjoyed the support they deserve and poor numbers coming through the gate will always hinder hopes of any further progress. 

Last edited by Matchman (03/1/2022 2:15 PM)

06/1/2022 8:10 PM  #7

UNITED CONFIRM DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL APPOINTMENT
BY MARC WILLIAMS    54 MINUTES AGO

Following Monday's announcement by Chairman Chris Munroe, we are delighted to confirm structural changes and internal promotions at the club. Steve Chettle leaves his position as first team manager and has been promoted to Director of Football where he will oversee the entirety of footballing operations at Greenwich Avenue.
Commenting, Munroe says: "Having stated the intentions of myself and the club on Monday, it was absolutely crucial that I fill my vacuum by appointing personnel to the key senior roles within the club. “All those close around me have known my desire to have a Director of Football and the proof of this was that I appointed this position in 2019 to Tommy Brookbanks. “Tommy did a fantastic job but had no brief over our Educational Academy at that time, so it was a challenging role that, in hindsight, the club were not ready for. “However, that was then, and this is now, and in my opinion, the club now calls out for this expertise and mentoring. Therefore, I am thrilled and delighted to advise the following."Steve Chettle has accepted the role of Basford United Director of Football Operations and will be responsible for all senior football aspects of the football club, ranging from the first team to Educational Academy, to our weekend Academy phase and youth phase sections.
“I think Steve is perfect for this, and after a brilliant professional career and managing our first team and football development via our Academy, this to me has perfect synergies. “Steve has also been very instrumental at the club, having one of the best Educational Academy’s in the Midlands, so he will continue to oversee and implement best practices and continue to have an active day to day involvement in such.
"With Steve promoting upwards, this does mean that the club will be revealing exciting news about our new first team management structure and other key positions that follow the same lines of appointment from within, or people very familiar with our thinking and our culture.
"I welcome Steve to our Board of Directors which comprise of myself, Tracie Witton and Stan Mitchell, and I think he will do an absolutely superb job, so let's get started!"
Chettle added: "After meeting with the Chairman after his statement regarding the club at the weekend, we sat down and spoke about the structure and important roles that need to be made to keep moving forwards. “The Director of Football role was an area that is really important and, having been the Head of Football within the Academy and also managing the first team, it has given me a massive insight into all overall running of Basford United.
"My day-to-day work with the Academy will remain the same but I will now be able to support the new management team in other areas that we haven't had before. The promotion to Director of Football is extremely exciting and is the next chapter in my football life.
"Chettle starts his new role with immediate effect and the club will announce details of the new first team management in due course. 

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What might we make of this?
A cynical person might put a different headline to this statement.
Chris Munroe can be ruthless. He wanted promotion and it doesn't look like it's going to happen.
I wonder who the new manager might be? .....I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited by Matchman (06/1/2022 8:37 PM)

06/1/2022 9:29 PM  #8

Easy one that Mark Clifford. Good luck to him

06/1/2022 9:30 PM  #9

NEW MANAGERIAL TRIO APPOINTED BY MARC WILLIAMS    27 MINUTES AGO

Clifford, Hearn and Scott to take reins..Following a series of announcements this week, Basford United can confirm that Mark Clifford, Liam Hearn, and Wayne Scott will assume first team managerial duties, effective immediately. All three, under the mentorship of new Director of Football Steve Chettle, have excellent credentials and will do a brilliant job, buying into the club’s objectives of promotion this season. Clifford has been appointed manager after recently returning to the club after leaving Ilkeston Town. “Cliffy” had a very successful spell at United between 2015-2019, heading up our Under 21s before, ultimately, playing a pivotal role throughout the two seasons between 2016 and 2018. Culminating in promotion to the Northern Premier League, Premier Division as title winners, the club amassing 100 points and scoring more than 100 goals during an extremely successful spell. Hearn will take the role as Clifford’s assistant manager and will also register again as a player. The striker returns in a joint role, and no Basford fan should never forget the 47 goals he scored during that championship winning campaign in 2018 that secured him the league’s Golden Boot award. Later, he assumed the position of first team manager, alongside Dom Roma; going 9 games unbeaten and just missing out on the Northern Premier League play-offs in 2019. Hearn then went on to play for Sherwood Colliery, Hucknall Town, Eastwood Community and, most recently Quorn. He is also a coach at Derby County Academy and runs his own coaching business. Wayne Scott has been at the club since 2012 in various managerial and coaching roles, either side of a short spell as Carlton Town’s number one where he delivered Nottinghamshire Senior Cup success in 2017. Scott was pivotal in building an exciting young Carlton team before departing the club at the end of the 2019-20 season. He then returned to Basford and took up a scouting role but has been a very credible member of the management team since. 
Basford Chairman and owner Chris Munroe said: “I am absolutely delighted to welcome Mark, Liam and Wayne to their roles, three high quality individuals who know our club, desire and culture.
“I think they will do a superb job and have not ruled out getting into this seasons Northern Premier League, Premier division play-offs. It is truly an exciting time for the club and this final announcement really ends the week on a significant high - I wish them all the very best!”
Clifford added: “I’m really looking forward to the challenge ahead. We have an excellent group that needs to kick on if we have any aspirations in pushing towards the play-off spots. “I’ve had to make a few difficult decisions in the past few days one that has seen an exit from the first team in Michael Leslie. I felt it was important that we had a whole new management team to bring new ideas and energy to the group. “I’m happy to be able to bring back Liam that - whilst being my assistant - will add additional experience to the front line, both on the training ground and in games. “In Wayne we have an experienced former manager that knows the game well and has many contacts across the region. “We all share the same vision and aspirations and I’m looking forward to working towards those. For this to be realised, we need the Basford fans to continue to get behind us - it’s been great to see the support home and away. “Finally, I’d like to thank the Chairman and the senior management team for this opportunity, I’m excited that, in Steve [Chettle], we have a great figurehead that will add value to the management team.
“We have discussed at length how he can support us in the wider role of attracting the best players in our region to join us at Basford United. All of us hope to see lots of you make the trip to on Saturday."
The trio will be in charge for the crunch Northern Premier League encounter at Scarborough Athletic at the weekend. 

06/1/2022 9:42 PM  #10

We must be reading the same post at the same time.

Very interesting. I would say it's a cost cutting exercise.

I think a lot of people are looking at this thinking the chairman is walking away.

Well I've spoke too some people and he's not he's just letting other do more of the work and trying to get investment in from others.

I say watch this space

10/1/2022 10:53 AM  #11

After a two game mini revival, Basford’s poor season continues with two more defeats against bottom club Grantham and a 0-3 battering at Scarborough. Right now Chris Monroe’s prediction of making a playoff challenge looks very optimistic. Personally I couldn’t see the wisdom in replacing Steve Chettle as manager.
Not the best start for Mark Clifford and some recent panic signings haven't come off.
Come back Mitchell Tait, any misunderstandings are now forgotten.

Last edited by Matchman (10/1/2022 11:43 AM)

11/1/2022 10:06 AM  #12

Basford have now announced that Academy Manager Josh Law has left the Club.
A week ago they had one of the best managers around in Steve Chettle and decided to replace him. 
One thing they are expert at is disguising bad news.
Recently only 157 turned up to watch them play Stalybridge. 

Last edited by Matchman (11/1/2022 10:07 AM)

11/1/2022 11:14 AM  #13

Mitch started Saturday. So looks like a good move for him. We don’t need him either in my opinion. Olly can play left back so we have cover

Look on Company Check at Basford United Ltd’s financials and form your own conclusions

11/1/2022 3:33 PM  #14

I wasn't doubting the financial stability of Basford. I was just stating that big changes appear to be happening just now. What I would really like to know is whether Steve Chettle is happy about his "promotion" upstairs. In my opinion Steve is a top class manager, coach and person. 

Re Michell Tait; In my opinion he is an outstanding prospect who we should have held on to. 

11/1/2022 4:33 PM  #15

Strange goings-on. I don’t think the likes of Mitchell Tait, Kieran Wells, Paddy Webb, and Reco Fyfe are going to help a Step 3 side towards a promotion push. Just the opposite in fact. I’ve been to see Basford play a few times over the last 2 or 3 years and they come across as a very professionally run club but also a soulless club. They’re not well-supported, average home crowd this season is 328 but I’d guess there are only 150-200 home fans for a game. I haven’t seen much passion at Basford.

Speaking of which, I went to see Long Eaton v Heanor Town on Saturday. Couldn’t believe how good the pitch was, considering all the rain we’ve had. Don’t know what the crowd was, but it looked to be 400-500. Reco’s first game for the club, and he was as talented and frustrating as ever. Long Eaton look to be way too good for the league they’re in and are surely odds-on for promotion.

I think Mitchell Tait’s a good prospect but if he’s got an attitude problem I wouldn’t want to see him back. We seem to have a tight-knit group at the moment and I wouldn’t want to risk disrupting that.

11/1/2022 5:53 PM  #16

I'm with dick on this one. Mitch a good young lad but something not right in my eyes

11/1/2022 8:50 PM  #17

Personally I can't believe that Mitch had an attitude problem.  From what I have heard it seems like he made a mistake and was harshly punished. 

The one thing I know for sure is that he didn't want to leave. 

17/1/2022 7:12 PM  #18

Marcus Marshall and Terry Hawkridge have both signed for matlock from basford.
They have both signed for a undisclosed fee.

If I remember rightly basford paid good money for Marshall a couple of years ago.

18/1/2022 10:13 AM  #19

THE STORY BEHIND ALEX'S POST YESTERDAY 

Matlock Town have signed striker Marcus Marshall and winger Terry Hawkridge from Basford United for an undisclosed fee.

Gladiators boss Paul Phillips was quick to move in to add competition for places in the Gladiators’ forward line as the season moves towards the business end.
Marshall was the Gladiators’ leading scorer when he moved to Basford at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic two years ago with Phillips saying there would always be a place for him at Matlock in the future. 
He began his football career at Blackburn Rovers coming through Rovers’ academy before moving to Rotherham United where he made 51 appearances after previously playing 23 times for the Millers on loan. He later played for Macclesfield Town, Bury, Grimsby Town, Morecambe, Lincoln City and Grimsby Town before entering non league where he would play for Boston United and then Alfreton Town, from whom he joined the Gladiators.
Marshall scored 29 goals in 53 appearances for Matlock in his first spell at the Proctor Cars Stadium.Hawkridge started out in non league before playing in the EFL.
He had two spells at Carlton Town sandwiching a stay at Hucknall Town before joining Gainsborough Trinity for the 2012/13 season. He soon moved to Scunthorpe United where he made 56 appearances between 2013 and 2016. He had loan spells at Mansfield Town and Lincoln City during this time before making a permanent move to Sincil Bank. Between 2017 and 2019 he was at Notts County before joining Solihull Moors and Boston United, before his move to Basford earlier this season.
Phillips says he is delighted to add two experienced attacking players to his squad with the season reaching its business end. “We’re really pleased to bring Marcus and Terry into the club. “Marcus left us a couple of years ago, I really wanted to keep him but Basford was much closer to his home. For one reason or another things haven’t worked out for him at Basford and when he became available, for me it was too good an opportunity to turn down, a no brainer. He was scoring goals in a struggling team so now he’s playing in a team that’s flourishing, we’re hoping he can add more goals. When we spoke to him, he made it clear he wanted to come back, he’s a great lad off the pitch as well so he’ll be a great signing for us.”
Phillips says he wanted to sign Hawkridge when he was released by Boston but Basford beat him to the signature.
“Terry’s top draw, I was keen to take him when he left Boston but he went to Basford. I’ve watched him a number of times and every time I’ve watched him he’s been the best player. He can operate as a number ten or out wide, I’ll be looking for him to do more off the ball which I’m sure he will like everyone else. Our thanks go to Basford for their co-operation in making the moves run smoothly.”
Marshall and Hawkridge are expected to be in Phillips matchday squad for the clash with Scarborough on Tuesday night.

Last edited by Matchman (18/1/2022 10:17 AM)

19/1/2022 10:34 PM  #20

Has anyone else noticed that Basford get more coverage than any other club on the Northern Premier League website news.

30/3/2022 4:22 PM  #21

Matchman wrote:

NEW MANAGERIAL TRIO APPOINTED BY MARC WILLIAMS    27 MINUTES AGO

Clifford, Hearn and Scott to take reins..Following a series of announcements this week, Basford United can confirm that Mark Clifford, Liam Hearn, and Wayne Scott will assume first team managerial duties, effective immediately. All three, under the mentorship of new Director of Football Steve Chettle, have excellent credentials and will do a brilliant job, buying into the club’s objectives of promotion this season. Clifford has been appointed manager after recently returning to the club after leaving Ilkeston Town. “Cliffy” had a very successful spell at United between 2015-2019, heading up our Under 21s before, ultimately, playing a pivotal role throughout the two seasons between 2016 and 2018. Culminating in promotion to the Northern Premier League, Premier Division as title winners, the club amassing 100 points and scoring more than 100 goals during an extremely successful spell. Hearn will take the role as Clifford’s assistant manager and will also register again as a player. The striker returns in a joint role, and no Basford fan should never forget the 47 goals he scored during that championship winning campaign in 2018 that secured him the league’s Golden Boot award. Later, he assumed the position of first team manager, alongside Dom Roma; going 9 games unbeaten and just missing out on the Northern Premier League play-offs in 2019. Hearn then went on to play for Sherwood Colliery, Hucknall Town, Eastwood Community and, most recently Quorn. He is also a coach at Derby County Academy and runs his own coaching business. Wayne Scott has been at the club since 2012 in various managerial and coaching roles, either side of a short spell as Carlton Town’s number one where he delivered Nottinghamshire Senior Cup success in 2017. Scott was pivotal in building an exciting young Carlton team before departing the club at the end of the 2019-20 season. He then returned to Basford and took up a scouting role but has been a very credible member of the management team since. 
Basford Chairman and owner Chris Munroe said: “I am absolutely delighted to welcome Mark, Liam and Wayne to their roles, three high quality individuals who know our club, desire and culture.
I think they will do a superb job and we have not ruled out getting into this seasons Northern Premier League, Premier division play-offs. It is truly an exciting time for the club and this final announcement really ends the week on a significant high - I wish them all the very best!”
Clifford added: “I’m really looking forward to the challenge ahead. We have an excellent group that needs to kick on if we have any aspirations in pushing towards the play-off spots. “I’ve had to make a few difficult decisions in the past few days one that has seen an exit from the first team in Michael Leslie. I felt it was important that we had a whole new management team to bring new ideas and energy to the group. “I’m happy to be able to bring back Liam that - whilst being my assistant - will add additional experience to the front line, both on the training ground and in games. “In Wayne we have an experienced former manager that knows the game well and has many contacts across the region. “We all share the same vision and aspirations and I’m looking forward to working towards those. For this to be realised, we need the Basford fans to continue to get behind us - it’s been great to see the support home and away. “Finally, I’d like to thank the Chairman and the senior management team for this opportunity, I’m excited that, in Steve [Chettle], we have a great figurehead that will add value to the management team.
“We have discussed at length how he can support us in the wider role of attracting the best players in our region to join us at Basford United. All of us hope to see lots of you make the trip to on Saturday."
The trio will be in charge for the crunch Northern Premier League encounter at Scarborough Athletic at the weekend. 

When Basford owner Chris Munroe announced his managerial changes, he said they had not ruled out getting into the playoffs.
The reverse has happened and Basford have now plummeted to a new low. From mid table they have sunk to 20th in the league table with just Witton Albion and Grantham below them in the relegation positions. They have won only one of their last eight matches. 

Last edited by Matchman (30/3/2022 4:25 PM)

30/3/2022 8:18 PM  #22

It will do when you cut the budget. It happened to Wakefield acfter we signed adam muller off them.

30/3/2022 9:52 PM  #23

There was a guy from Basford at the Solihull game and he did not paint a positive picture of life at Basford at the moment. Its tough on Mark as he is a genuine person who I think is being sold a pup! I really hope I'm wrong.

07/4/2022 8:50 AM  #24

Crisis time at Basford. 

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/basford-united/form-guide/ten

Does anyone know what has happened to Mitchell Tait? He’s not been in the Basford squad for last three matches. 

Last edited by Matchman (07/4/2022 8:54 AM)

07/4/2022 10:19 AM  #25

Went to watch them on Tuesday night thinking I might see Mitchell Tait and Paddy Webb. As you say John, Mitchell wasn’t in the squad. And I didn’t know that Paddy Webb left Basford after just 8 games – where is he now?

I was surprised to see there was 300 there, didn’t look that many. The only fans making any noise were the 20 or so Warrington fans.

They’re sound defensively but it’s not difficult to see where their problems lie – they can’t score goals. They could have played all night and not scored. They’ve only scored 31 goals in 38 league games and, incredibly, they’ve only scored 6 goals in their last 14 league games. Think I’m right in saying they’re safe from relegation though – they’re far from being the worst ‘third from bottom’ team in the Step 3 leagues (isn’t it only the worst ‘third from bottom’ team in the 4 Step 3 leagues that goes down?).

Last edited by Trowell Nicky (07/4/2022 10:19 AM)

07/4/2022 12:04 PM  #26

Your right 6 goals in 14 games and you are going to have issues! Kane Richards has not scored in 2022 and Aaron O'Connot was off loaded to Carlton. Keiran Wells came and went like Keiran usually does. Paddy Webb was back at Quorn the other week so I think he is on dual registration and Mitchell Tait was red carded in a game and could be still suspended. No disrespect to Liam Hearn but I think his best days may have past him by many moons ago.
I have been told that they finding it difficult to finance the club hence some of the higher earners have moved on and cheaper players (not necessarily lesser) have replaced them. This is always a bad sign because your management is then always hamstrung. I think Mark Clifford has been given an impossible task and i do feel sorry for him. If he has to keep the team in the Northern Premier League Premier Division on limited resources its always going to be a struggle. Its also rumoured that Steve Chettle was moved upstairs because they could not afford to sack him as he was on a contract till the end of the season.
Its a shame because they are lovely people at Basford and the realisation that they may have peaked must be heartbreaking. If they had had our core support I am sure they would have been able to develop further.
On a more optimistic note Witton Albion who are below them are struggling as well so they should avoid the botton two but I am not sure how promotion and relegation exactly works at this level this season.

07/4/2022 12:09 PM  #27

Ive just checked and I know don't believe Mitchell Tait has been red carded or I cannot find any record of it. So it is a mystery why after should a good start he is now not in the team. He is maybe injured!

07/4/2022 4:24 PM  #28

FROM NORTHERN PREMIER LEAGUE WEBSITE

Basford United Chairman Issues Statement As Struggles Continue

 about 7 hours ago  By James Gordon

Basford United’s chairman, Chris Munroe has issued a statement to the club's fans surrounding the club’s form this season. Basford currently sit in 20th place in the Northern Premier League Premier Division, losing 1-0 in their last outing at home against Warrington Town. Their last win in the league was February 22, dropping eight places in the table since then. Their poor run of form has not gone unnoticed by their fans, prompting chairman Chris Munroe to issue a statement on social media.

Munroe has recently taken time out of club duties due illness, but reasserts that the club will bounce back next season  .“This season has been really disappointing - the worst in my tenure,” Munroe stated, “I have questioned myself constantly through this and it has proved a massive learning curve.”

Munroe announced at the start of the year that he plans to relinquish control of the club at an appropriate time as he continues to look for viable investors.He continued, “Our lack of goals and chances has really hurt us - as have our injuries - but the financial backing and budgets have been unhindered throughout the campaign .“Without question, we will review, assess and come up with the necessary plan with regards to recruitment and contract renewals.”

On the club’s remaining games, Munroe asks the fans to help them to push on the team through their last four games. “First thing’s first, however, is that we have four massive cup finals where we need four points.“I share our fan’s frustration, but I know you enjoy our club and want to see us where you expect, so please help us get over this hurdle with your great support over the two big remaining home games against Matlock Town and Mickleover, as well as away trips to Stafford Rangers and Witton Albion.” 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

Not sure how Basford think that they need 4 points. They are unlikely to be relegated if they don’t get another point. Only the worst third bottom team from the four Step 3 leagues will be relegated this season.  Kings Langley of the Southern League Premier South have11 points less than Basford  with 4 matches left. It would be a minor miracle if they picked up 12 points from their remaining games. If they did, then Basford would need just two points to be mathematically certain of avoiding relegation.

Last edited by Matchman (07/4/2022 5:11 PM)

10/4/2022 7:13 AM  #29

Matchman wrote:

Not sure how Basford think that they need 4 points. They are unlikely to be relegated if they don’t get another point. Only the worst third bottom team from the four Step 3 leagues will be relegated this season.  Kings Langley of the Southern League Premier South have11 points less than Basford  with 4 matches left. It would be a minor miracle if they picked up 12 points from their remaining games. If they did, then Basford would need just two points to be mathematically certain of avoiding relegation.

Apologies. Now I see how Basford need 4 points. I didn’t think that Witton in 21st place could possibly catch Basford who had an 8 point advantage. But after Basford lost again and Witton won, the gap is now only 5 point with 3 games left. If Witton close the gap to two points in their next two games then it will be a relegation decider on the final day of the season as the two teams meet with Witton having home advantage.  

Board footera