WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/1/2017 11:18 PM  #1

December / January

December proved to be a disasterous month when we lost all five matches scored 2 and conceded 18. 

03;12.16   Grantham (H)         0-3
   06.12 16   Matlock (H)            1-2   Debyshire Senior Cup
   10.12.16   Frickley (A)            0-4
   17.12.16   Marine (H)              1-2
   26.12.16   Mickleover (A)        0-7

We would have hoped to pick up some points from the four league games so December was really disappointing. We also were heavily beaten in the matches against Grantham, Frickley and Mickleover. Things conspired against us in the Frickley game but there can be no excuses in the other games.

The new year has started with another defeat against Matlock and we are undoubtedly in a relegation battle as things stand. It's now 14 games without a win.There are five more matches scheduled for January :

Sat 07.01.17  Stafford Rangers (away)
Sat 14.01.17  Sutton Coldfield  (away)
Tue 17.01,17  Hednesford        (home)
Sat 21.01.17  Corby                (home}
Sat 28.01.17  Barwell              (away)

06/1/2017 9:51 AM  #2

Re: December / January

Despite what some pessimistic supporters think I don't expect the Club will be allowed to go down without a fight.  Within cash constraints I think the Club will take some sort of action to try to keep us in the NPL Premier Division. Decent experienced players don't come cheap so you have to be sure you're getting the right ones. The Club are keen to turn round results on the field as quickly as possible and are working to find the best way to try to enable this.

06/1/2017 6:05 PM  #3

I do really hope you are right about the club taking action to keep free from relegation. It takes a lot of faith to actually believe we can do that with the squad we presently have. I am hoping that the experienced players we lost were allowed to go because we could not afford to pay them. I am hoping that we did that because the money from the Che deal had not come in and we did not have a sufficient good credit rating with the bank to go overdrawn. I am hoping that we may now have a small amount of financial flexibility which will allow Paul Holland to get in a few short term experienced players to shore up the youngsters fragile confidence. I am hoping some of this will happen but the stark reality suggests that this is a long shot. In the end all we have is hope! As I have said before I think these young players are heroes and if we do go down it won't be for the want of trying! I have been very impressed by how the hard core vocal have got behind Matt and the players no matter what they feel about how the club has been run!

12/1/2017 10:03 AM  #4

The match against Sutton Coldfield will be seen by many as a must win. It would be brilliant if as many of our supporters as possible made the effort and went to this game. If we had numerical advantage in support it would really give a boost to the players and It would also show that we are a Club with big potential.  We may be at that crucial moment in time when the tide is about to turn. 

16/1/2017 9:15 AM  #5

Saturday's defeat at Sutton Coldfield was a massive setback.We now need to pick up points from our next three games starting with Hednesford on Tuesday night. This will be difficult but the Pitmen have lost their last three games all away (Spennymoor 2-4, Stafford 1-2 and Granrham 1-4). This is their 4th consecutive away game so it may be a good time to be playing against them.
Saturday we host fellow strugglers Corby who by contrast are unbeaten in their last four games (two wins and two draws) so probably not such a a good time to be playing them. They recently signed prolific Football League goalscorer Izale McLeod.
We then play Barwell on Saturday the 28th who we have already played three times winning twice but losing on the last occasion. 
We really must start to win games if we are to avoid relegation. 
Once again Ilkeston enjoyed good support at Sutton Coldfield, amazing after sixteen matches without a win.

17/1/2017 3:41 PM  #6

Apparently an Ilkeston supporter spat a load of abuse into the face of an Ilkeston official as he left the stand at Sutton Coldfield on Saturday. Inappropriate actions like this causes damage to the reputation of Ilkeston FC supporters as well as the Club.

22/1/2017 9:43 PM  #7

Despite the teams best efforts, the four January matches to date have yielded no points. The defeats against Matlock, Stafford, Sutton Coldfield and Corby have all been by a single goal and we have scored only one goal. The young players are giving it their best shot and the number of cautions received shows that they are committed to the cause. Having said that, it's plain to all that the team needs strengthening if we are to avoid relegation. There are still a lot of games to be played so there is still time to rescue the situation. One win could make all the difference but we need it soon. Things can change in an instant. Confidence is restored and the team and supporters are lifted.  January's last match is at Barwell which is not an easy place to get a result but our luck has to change some time. 

30/1/2017 9:23 AM  #8

January has been a disaster with five straight defeats. They've all been by just a single goal but defeats nevertheless. Right now we can't buy a win. Can anyone suggest how we can break this cycle? At least on Saturday at Barwell there were signs of improvement. We defended well and new keeper Eve was outstanding, up front we created at least four really scoreable opportunities which should have been taken but we only managed to convert one of them. The first game in February is home to league leaders Blyth Spartans so barring a miracle the winless run seems likely to continue.

Board footera