WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/2/2017 7:12 AM  #1

Grantham Town

What a great season Grantham are having.  Saturday's 2-1 win at Spennymoor has taken them into the playoff places and they are now unbeaten in their last twelve league games. The run contains nine wins and three draws. The Grantham squad includes three ex Ilkeston players, Luke Shaw, Curtis Burrows and Ellis Storey. When they won 3-0 at the NMG they looked really good but not many people expected them to be challenging for a playoff spot. Unfortunately their home attendances are less than they deserve and despite their successful run they're still in the two hundreds. 

06/2/2017 9:54 AM  #2

Re: Grantham Town

It would be interesting to find out how they finance the club as their gates cannot contribute too greatly. I don't know if they have a money behind them. If they don't it could be a template Ilkeston look at for the future. I know there is not much love lost between Ilkeston and Grantham fans but you have to admire what that they achieved this season. I do recall the anomosity was down to the way some of the stewards at Grantham treated away fans. I recall a drunken Grantham fan attempting to steal the whole stock of match day programmes. 3D security had a physical word with him and there was no further trouble but when we played them at the Kesteven Stadium the same gentleman was a steward! I presume Grantham have moved on from those days and like Ilkeston have now shed their hooligan elements that were rife in the nineties.

06/2/2017 1:28 PM  #3

Re: Grantham Town

I've heard that Grantham Town FC  get a lot of help from the Council.  Their gound is owned by the Council and the council pay for all of the stadium costs as it's a shared community facility. The football club get free usage of the ground and don't even have to pay the floodlighting costs. These are big costs for other teams like Ilkeston.

Board footera