WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/6/2022 4:15 PM  #1

How the once mighty have fallen

Just seen where ex-Ilkeston Tyler Johal has joined Eastwood from Carlton.
 It reminded me that not so long ago Eastwood was on a par with Ilkeston. We’ve had many a highly charged contest with them both home and away, but now they play at Step 5 and Ilkeston play at Step 3.
Fortunes change quickly in non-league football.

17/6/2022 8:18 PM  #2

Re: How the once mighty have fallen

Indeed. But from my days in the town in the 90s, look where Il'son Town are now as to where they were..? Going bust (one or more times in a quick succession) perhaps does not help..! That's said, I'm always pleased to see Il'son bounce back - a big factor being the BIG support. Just hoping the bubble does not burst again... And good luck for 2022-03...

17/6/2022 8:55 PM  #3

I sometimes think Ilkeston fans sometimes are very fortunate to have people who pour money into their football club. Ive just been to locate AFC Amble's ground. Bear in mind this was a club who played in the FA Cup in the fifties. They now play on a welfare pitch which has changing rooms but absolutely no other facilities, No fence! No hard standing! I spoke to a guy who looked like he was going to be organising pre season training and he told me that had just moved back to Amble after playing out of town for a year. There are three pitches on the site. One is overgrown and there is one with running track and perimeter fencing. He told me the ground was donated to the local people. The first thing that happened was that it was fenced off so nobody could vandalise it but also no body could use it either. Now the pitch is three foot of grass. There third pitch is a bit like the Ashes but they're happy to be there . They won the North Northumberland League last season by a large margin winning one game by 30 goals and won several games by getting into the teens. The old guys said the standard was however absolutely rubbish!
Elsewhere in Northumberland MorpethTown and Blyth Spartans have thrived but all the smaller teams appear to be struggling even Berwick Rangers slipped out of the Scottish League!

26/6/2022 8:53 PM  #4

Thanks White Ball, We know each other from old. Just reminding 'Matchman' that Il'son have been through the mill inspite of two / three great recovery seasons....
Maybe foolishly my son - born in Ilson - chose DCFC. Now he has come to terms with it... they are playng my team (Cheltenham / Robins) this season, plus Plymouth, plus Exeter (not to mention Bristol Rovers and those upstarts from Nailsworth, with a sharp green/media savvy owner but, arguably, with Branson-esque on the books 'imaginary' money behind them... Watch this space...

I look forward to the rise and rise again of Ilkeston Town. Do keep those glory-seeking / thieving owners away though. You've done that twice too many times in recent years!

Will carry on supporting ITFC from the SW! - and thank you Whiteball and Matchman. Always good work from you on here.

26/6/2022 9:54 PM  #5

I will be around to see Ilsons start to the season and then builders willing I will be up in the Northern Lights! However I am making the short trip to Porthleven for a fortnight in November but looking to stop over in Ilson for a break in the road trip!

Board footera