WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27/6/2022 7:34 PM  #1

Who will be Challenging for Promotion Next Season?

WHO WILL BE CHALLENGING FOR PROMOTION NEXT SEASON?

Southern League Premier Central 
Last season Coalville just missed out and should challenge again. Rushall Olympic and Rushden & Diamonds also did well and should be there again. Tamworth were only mid-table last season but they are a big club and now have a top manager so I expect them to challenge for promotion. My other two promotion candidates are the promoted teams Ilkeston and Bedford who have both strengthened their squads.  

NPL Premier Division 
South Shields, Matlock and Warrington Town missed out last season and should be challenging again. Whitby, FC United and Morpeth are usually near the top so any two from these six. Belper should finish mid-table.  

The Step 4 NPL we left behind 
NPL East Division have some good teams and all teams face a lot of travelling. Cleethorpes, Stockton and Shildon made the playoffs last season. Carlton and Worksop could make a challenge and Grantham will be looking to bounce back following relegation. It will be interesting to see how promoted Long Eaton’s season turns out in this league. 
NPL Midland Division have six new teams but promotion seems likely to be any two from Chasetown, Halesowen and Stamford. One of them will miss out again. 
NPL West Division is likely to be dominated by Workington and Leek. Relegated Witton Albion finished strongly last season and will be looking for a quick return to Step 3

29/6/2022 8:48 AM  #2

Re: Who will be Challenging for Promotion Next Season?

LEISTON FINISHED 7TH LAST SEASON AND HOPE TO IMPROVE ON THAT

JOE MARSDEN REFLECTS ON THE BLUES SEASON AND LOOKS AHEAD TO THE UPCOMING SEASON
BY CRAIG COOPER 2 DAYS AGO 
 Blues player Joe Marsden took time out to speak to Blues Online last week. Leiston player Joe Marsden made 46 appearances in all competitions for the club last season, netting 3 times. Here he reflects on the last campaign and gives his thoughts on the season ahead. In total, Joe has pulled on a Leiston shirt 112 times, scoring 11 goals.

CC - How did the season compare to how expectations were at the start of the season Joe?
JM - “There weren’t really any major expectations after almost signing a new team and the first full season after Covid so anyone would have taken finishing 7th and being the highest club in suffolk so it must be viewed as a very successful season. It also definitely getting gives us a good platform to work towards this season.”

CC - Personally, how did you feel your season went as a whole?
JM - “I played a lot of games and reached 100 appearances in all competitions for the club (Joe played 66 times between 2016 and 2018 in his first spell at Leiston). Although I didn’t play in my favoured position I enjoyed myself so it has to be viewed as a successful season for myself. It’s nice to be back at the club so no complaints from myself in that regard. Now looking forward to this season and seeing where we can go as a group and club.”

CC - In terms of the cup competitions last campaign, how do you think the side fared?
JM - “Neither good nor bad I’d say. We lost to teams in the same league so no real upsets. Obviously would have liked to have gone further in the FA competitions and the Suffolk Premier Cup was lost on penalties which is always a bit of a lottery. The only real disappointment would have to be the Stowmarket Town game where the side knew we were miles off our best but fortunately for us they made an admin error and you get punished for those types of errors.”

CC - What were the stand out matches for you both as a team and personally last season?
JM - “For the team I’d say the opening day away to Bromsgrove Sporting. Winning 4-0 and been three goals up after 25 minutes was really pleasing and set us up for a good start to the season. There was obviously good results and performances throughout the year as we finished high but I’d say that stands out most. And personally I can’t think of any that stand out. Lots of my season last year was filling in and helping the team out, and I think I did that in most games so I wouldn’t say there was one standout game for myself.”

CC - What are the sides expectations for the upcoming 2022/2023 campaign?
JM - “Pre-season and the start of the league season is always an interesting time. You get to see who’s come back in what condition, what players have been signed and any new tactics the management want to employ so expectations could change as you progress. However, you always want to do better than the year before so as a club that has to be the aim. And if we achieve that then play offs is a real possibility. A long cup run would be nice for the club and players of course but the league is your bread and butter so being better than last season should be the goal.” 

Leiston away is a long journey for most teams in our league. Last season Leiston appeared to take some advantage from this because they only lost 4 home matches. (P20, Won 11, Drawn 5, Lost 4.)
Only Banbury and Coalville lost fewer home games.

Last edited by Matchman (29/6/2022 11:34 AM)

30/6/2022 3:17 PM  #3

Coalville Town were the highest placed team in the Southern League Premier Central who didn't get promoted. That being so we must expect Coalville to be one of the favourites for promotion this coming season.

Here is their manager Adam Stevens's thoughts on the season ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=fbVoDZWPhCc

Last edited by Matchman (30/6/2022 3:18 PM)

30/6/2022 8:58 PM  #4

Unlikely to be challenging for promotion are Kings Langley

Kings Langley finished 20th out of 22 in the Southern League Premier South last season. After a terrible start when their first 31 games yielded only 20 points at least they finished the season on the up scoring 17 points in their final 11 games (W5, D2, L4). 

This is their manager talking about their prospects after being moved to the Southern League Premier Central. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9h87aOIwOg

Board footera