WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18/7/2022 6:24 PM  #1

Ilkeston v Shepshed Dynamo: Wed 20 Jul'22 (Pre-season friendly) ko 730

Next up in the pre-season warm up games is Shepshed Dynamo. Martin Carruthers has said that he is keen for  some of his players to play 90 minutes so maybe there won't be so many changes in this match. 
Remember that it's a 7 30 kick off

20/7/2022 11:10 AM  #2

Re: Ilkeston v Shepshed Dynamo: Wed 20 Jul'22 (Pre-season friendly) ko 730

It's matchday and all of our players will be competing for a place in the team when the league fixtures begin.

Bask in the evening warmth or sit in the cool of the clocktower stand to watch tonight's friendly. Shepshed should be a stern test. (remember the last time they came to the NMG)

Match updates as usual

Last edited by Matchman (20/7/2022 11:11 AM)

20/7/2022 6:09 PM  #3

Well I hope our defence is up to it tonight . NO I am not having a go but just saying as their striker last time ran our defence ragged with his strength and pace . A really good player certainly got stuck in.
Can't get coz of work .

20/7/2022 6:25 PM  #4

Ilkeston Squad and Starting XI:
1 Saul Deeney, 2 Kalern Thomas, 3 Ben O'Hanlon, 4 Dan Bradley, 5 Ben Turner, 6 Kieran Fenton, 7 Jamie Ward, 8 Jared Bird, 9 Chris O'Grady, 10 Montel Gibson, 11 Charlie Wakefield.

12 Remaye Campbell, 14 Ollie Brown-Hill, 15 Alex Troke, 16 Marshall Willock, 18 Billy Bennett, 19 Zak Goodson, 20 Jack Thomas, 21 Tom Hilton
13 Thomasz Bukowski, 17 Harvey 

Last edited by Matchman (20/7/2022 6:34 PM)

20/7/2022 6:47 PM  #5

It's kickoff time and the teams are out. Ilkeston are playing in their plum and blue 3rd kit. Shepshed are playing in all yellow

We're off

20/7/2022 6:52 PM  #6

Nice Ilkeston move ended by the offside flag. Extremely brave save by Deeney at the feet of Shepshed No 9. Shepshed looking dangerous on the break. Gibson wins a corner. Fenton heads over from the corner.        0-0      5 mins

20/7/2022 7:01 PM  #7

Good effort by Shepshed No 9 but it's comfortably saved by Deeney. Free kick to Ilkeston in decent position but it goes out for a goal kick.  Another good stop by Deeney. Its Shrpshed creating the chances.         0-0      14 mins

20/7/2022 7:01 PM  #8

Matchman wrote:

Nice Ilkeston move ended by the offside flag. Extremely brave save by Deeney at the feet of Shepshed No 9. Shepshed looking dangerous on the break. Gibson wins a corner. Fenton heads over from the corner.        0-0      5 mins

Is it the same number 9 who ran us ragged at our last home game last season ??

20/7/2022 7:15 PM  #9

Ilkeston have Deeney to thank again. All the chances are falling to Shepshed. O'Grady shot easily saved after a good period of Ilkeston possession.     0-0    27 mins

20/7/2022 7:16 PM  #10

kevilsonlad wrote:

Matchman wrote:

Is it the same number 9 who ran us ragged at our last home game last season ??

Yes it is Kev

20/7/2022 7:22 PM  #11

Closest yet to an Ilkeston goal.  Kelern Thomas's shot is only just wide. I'm quite impressed with Bradley in midfield so far.       0-0      34 mins

Last edited by Matchman (20/7/2022 7:24 PM)

20/7/2022 7:35 PM  #12

It's half time:   Ilkeston 0  Shepshed  0

Ilkeston finished the half strongly but  Shepshed were the better side in the first 30 minutes.

20/7/2022 7:47 PM  #13

Bukowski is in goal and it looks like most of the subs are playing the second half.
Bradley, Turner, Gibson are still on 

We're underway again

20/7/2022 7:55 PM  #14

Ilkeston shot blocked, I think it was Campbell. Good play by Gibson almost creates a chance. Decent start by Ilkeston.       0-0     52 mins

20/7/2022 8:00 PM  #15

Campbell header goes over. Much better from Ilkeston this half.  Troke fires over from distance.     0-0    57 mins

Last edited by Matchman (20/7/2022 8:06 PM)

20/7/2022 8:05 PM  #16

Great run and cross by Bennett and Campbell is inches away from connecting with it.     0-0     63 mins

20/7/2022 8:19 PM  #17

Montel breaks free but is thwarted by an outstanding save. Then Gibson header hits the roof of the net. Some good Ilkeston attacks this half not quite coming off. . Now Remaye is thwarted by another outstanding save      0-0     76 mins

20/7/2022 8:23 PM  #18

Shepshed attack nearly results in a goal.   Nice cross by O'Hanlon but Ilkeston header is too high.      0-0     80 mins

20/7/2022 8:29 PM  #19

Brown Hill header across goal sets up a chance for Campell but Keeper denies him again.  Shepshed keeper has been superb.      0-0     87 minutes

20/7/2022 8:34 PM  #20

Ilkeston looked certain to score but close range shot is cleared off line. 

Full time    Ilkeston 0  Shepshed  0

Ilkeston were much improved in the second half but were denied a win by a string of outstanding saves,

21/7/2022 6:20 AM  #21

For what it’s worth, here’s my opinion about last night’s match. 

Our first half team was outplayed by Shepshed in the first 30 minutes. We created very little whereas Shepshed created chance after chance causing Deeney to make some good saves. In my eyes Bradley is starting to look a player. In the final 15 minutes we did better but a shot from Kelern Thomas which went just wide was the nearest we came to scoring. Ward had some good touches but didn’t see enough of the ball.

The second half team did far better dominating most of the play. Billy Bennett let us know he is still around and is not going to be pushed out by the new full backs without a fight. Ollie Brown-Hill was shoved out on the wing but still impressed with some skilful moments.  Gibson was brimming with confidence and was always the most likely to score. To be fair we would have won but for Shepshed’s keeper who had an outstanding match.

In the contest between Campbell and O’Grady, for me, Campbell was a clear winner. Yes he missed a few chances but was always in the thick of it and in the right places. O’Grady needs more time to settle in.

Charlie Wakefield was arguably our best player last season but he’s hardly been influential so far and the same could be said about Jared Bird. 

After last night’s match, I am unsure what our best team is. I’m starting to think we can’t leave out Billy Bennett. I also think Ollie Brown-Hill deserves a place based on his performances so far. In my opinion only Deeney and Gibson look sure to be in the team.

What about this line-up?
1 Deeney, 2 Bennett, 3 O'Hanlon, 4 Bradley, 5 Turner, 6 Fenton, 7 J Thomas, 8 Wakefield, 9 Campbell, 10 Gibson,11 Brown-Hill.

Does anyone disagree with my choices ?

Last edited by Matchman (21/7/2022 9:46 AM)

21/7/2022 7:39 AM  #22

Robins and Shepshed play out friendly draw  
Jul 20, 2022

Ilkeston Town 0-0 Shepshed Dynamo

Ilkeston Town played out a goalless draw in their latest pre-season friendly with Shepshed Dynamo on Wednesday.It was a game that saw plenty of chances for both sides, particularly the Robins in the second-half, but neither team could ultimately make the break through in what was certainly an energetic pre-season run-out.

Saul Deeney was called into action early on to dive at the feet of Dempsey Arlott-John when he broke into the penalty area, then Keiran Fenton headed over the top at the other end from a Jamie Ward corner.

Arlott-John tested Deeney from distance but his shot was straight at the Robins stopper on seven minutes, the Robins keeper again having to block when a parrying a powerful effort six minutes later.

Dynamo were creating the better openings and Arlott-John was again denied by Deeney low down on 22 minutes, while Ilkeston’s Chris O’Grady shot weakly at the keeper from just outside the area on 27.

Kalern Thomas then saw an effort deflected just wide after finding space in the penalty area, then Dan Bradley somehow turned a Ward cross wide when unmarked a few yards out and half-time arrived with the game goalless.

Ilkeston started the second-half well and one of many subs, Remaye Campbell, flicked the ball just wide with a diving header on 54 minutes, then headed just over from an Alex Troke cross moments later.

Shepshed were still a threat and saw a couple of long range efforts go close amid a plethora of changes to their side, before Montel Gibson was sent clear for the Robins on 72 but saw his effort parried away by keeper Brandon Ganley.

Ilkeston kept pushing and Ganley pushed away a Campbell shot on 77 minutes, Jack Thomas next to see a chance come his way but only able to head Ben O’Hanlon’s cross over the top.

Ganley was having a fine game and denied Campbell once more with six minutes left when he was found by Ollie Brown-Hill’s knock down but the Dynamo keeper blocked at point blank range.

Thomas was then denied by another save, this time low down from a first-time shot, Troke next to see a shot blocked by a defender three yards out after being found by Charlie Wakefield.Thomas volleyed just wide as the game entered its final minute, that the last chance the Robins would have to win a game from which they will feel they might have deserved a positive result.

Ilkeston: Deeney (Bukowski 46), Thomas (Trialist 46), 3 O’Hanlon (Bennett 46), Bradley (Bird 65), Turner (O’Hanlon 65), Fenton (Willock 46), Ward (Thomas 46), Bird (Brown-Hill 46), O’Grady (Campbell 46), Gibson (Wakefield 76), Wakefield (Troke 46)

Report by Mark Duffy

21/7/2022 12:26 PM  #23

Ilkeston Town 0

Shepshed Dynamo 0

Attendance 209

Ilkeston Town fought out a 0-0 draw with Shepshed Dynamo in a pre season game that probably had more goalmouth action than when the teams met in a six goal game thriller in April, which the visitors won 4-2.

Shepshed seemed to pick up from where they left off in April in the early exchanges as Dempsey Arllott-John caused problems for the Robins defence. In the first twenty-five minutes of the game Saul Deeney in the Ilkeston goal had to pull off five fine saves to keep the Dynamo at bay.

After the half hour Ilkeston started to make a mark on the game themselves and Chris O’Grady and Dan Bradley both had chances to give Ilkeston the lead.

At half-time Ilkeston made eight changes to their line up and Shepshed rested some of their more dangerous performers. The Robins started to sure greater urgency in the second half and created chances mainly for Remaye Campbell who was unlucky not to score with several close range efforts. Ex Robin Brandon Ganley in the Shepshed goal also made some outstanding saves to keep the Ilkeston attack at bay. 

Montel Gibson started to find some space and was causing problems for the tiring Shepshed defensive line. However the resolute visitors defence stood its ground and kept efforts from Jack Thomas and Alex Troke out.

As the game petered out as a goalless draw both sets of fans were amazed that neither side had scored. Shepshed certainly had the better of the first thirty minutes and possibly should have been out of sight but the Robins clawed their back into the game and speeded up their build up play in the second half and caused Shepshed more problems than they did in the first.

As an indicator of what line up the Robins will field in their first league game against Tamworth, this game posed more questions than answers. There would appear to be several places in the team still up for grabs and a number of players whose energetic pre season performances are putting them in contention. Many pundits were concerned at how much faster Shepshed were in the first half and they do have some fine attacking talent in their ranks. Ilkeston did however pick up the pace particularly in the second half.

The squad will have another chance to impress the management on Saturday when they travel to Hinckley Leicester Road in a 3 o’clock kick off.

Ilkeston Town Line up:- Deeney, Thomas K, O’Hanlon, Bradley, Turner, Fenton, Ward, Bird, Gibson, O’Grady, and Wakefield. Subs Campbell, Bukowski, Brown-Hill, Troke, Willock, Thomas J, Bennett, Triallist GK and Triallist FB.

Match Report John Shiels

21/7/2022 12:42 PM  #24

For the first half hour you feared the worst, we got battered, couldn’t cope with their pace, energy, and tempo. Looked like a repeat of the Carlton pre-season friendly. But then we seemed to wake up and we played some good stuff for the last hour of the game and could (should) have scored 2 or 3. Their keeper made some outstanding saves but Campbell should have scored a couple.

I’d agree about Bradley and Campbell. Bradley played with a lot more confidence in the last hour of last night. First time for me he’s looked like a real player. And it seemed to work much better having more of a fixed focal point up front in Campbell rather than a more mobile option in O’Grady.  I really like Billy Bennett, I think I’d always want him in my team, but I’m not sure MC sees him as a starter any more. There’s something about Thomas, he just seems to have this knack of picking out the right pass or being in the right place to score a goal. Nice knack to have. But do you need the industry Bird provides?   Don’t know who the young lad is who played right-back in the second half last night, but he didn’t look out of place. You’d have to say Ward hasn’t done anything special so far, but he does have that touch of class. I’d suspect MC is thinking along these lines …  

Deeney
Thomas   Fenton   Turner   O’Hanlon
Bird/Thomas    Bradley   Wakefield
Ward     O’Grady/Campbell    Gibson

Willock, OBH, Troke, Bennett, Goodson, Bukowski            

21/7/2022 1:18 PM  #25

If I was really pushed I would start with this as my attacking starting line up  
                     Deeney
Thomas K   Fenton   Turner   O’Hanlon
                      Bradley 
Thomas J      Wakefield    Brown-Hill
              Campbell    Gibson

Willock, Ward, Bird, Bennett, Goodson, Bukowski

And my defensive line up would be:-

Deeney
Thomas K   Fenton   Turner   O’Hanlon
                   Bradley   Bird 
     Thomas J    Wakefield  Gibson             
                      Campbell    

Willock, Ward, Brown-Hill, Bennett, Goodson, Bukowski

I think when O'Grady is 100% match fit he will be in with a shout and I think Troke could force his way in

22/7/2022 1:01 PM  #26

Matchman's match summary:

Wed 20th July 2022
Ilkeston Town  0  Shepshed Dynamo  0
A superb second half display by Shepshed keeper Brandon Ganley prevented Ilkeston from recording a fourth pre-season win. The Robins will feel they deserved to win but it was Dynamo who started the better with Dempsey Arlott-John causing all sorts of problems for the Ilkeston defence. Saul Deeney had to be at his best to stop Shepshed going ahead as the visitors dominated the first 30 minutes. After that, Ilkeston started to take control but couldn’t create worthwhile opportunities apart from a shot by Kalern Thomas which was deflected wide. Ilkeston were much better in the second half following eight changes. Suddenly it was Ilkeston making all the chances and It was Ganley making the saves. Remaye Campbell was unlucky not to score on several occasions as Ganley produced some outstanding saves. Ilkeston made several more team changes throughout the second half but It didn’t disrupt their dominance. Probably Ilkeston’s best chance was when Montel Gibson was sent clear but saw his effort brilliantly parried away by Ganley. The custodian then denied Campbell blocking his shot at point blank range. The final minutes saw Ilkeston three times come close to getting the winner. 

Next Up for Ilkeston :        Hinckley Leicester Road   away     Sat 23 Jul
Next up for Shepshed :     Basford United                  home     Sat 23 Jul

Last edited by Matchman (22/7/2022 1:46 PM)

Board footera