WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24/7/2022 3:34 PM  #31

Re: Hinckley LR v Ilkeston : Sat 23rd July

Sat 23rd July 2022

Gibson strikes again to seal win at Hinckley
Hinckley LRFC 0 Ilkeston Town 1

Montel Gibson scored his seventh pre-season goal to give Ilkeston a fourth friendly victory in an entertaining game at Leicester Road on Saturday. Gibson was the main cause of problems for the Hinckley defence so it was no surprise when he put Ilkeston ahead, scoring from close range on 12 minutes after controlling a fine ball over the top from Jack Thomas and beating his defender before finishing well.

The hosts had a chance to pull level five minutes later when Robins keeper Tomasz Bukowski conceded a penalty when he brought down Hinckley forward Joe Lyne. Bukowski was to redeem himself though with a spectacular save from Liam Reid’s spot-kick, diving full length to his left.

Ilkeston threatened to increase their lead on several occasions with some good teamwork but Hinckley nearly equalised when Marshall Willock’s back pass was intercepted by Dom Brennan. His parried shot was heading for goal but Ollie Brown-Hill got back to clear off the line.

Just before half time, excellent interplay between Jamie Ward and Gibson ended with Ward’s shot flying past the post and Ilkeston had to settle for a single-goal lead.

Both sides made changes after the interval and it was Hinckley who started the stronger and they enjoyed an initial period of ascendancy.

Ilkeston regained the upper hand though and came close to doubling their lead when a Kieran Fenton header was just too high.

A Remaye Campbell effort hit the side netting when he cut in from the right as Ilkeston pressed in the closing stages.

Five minutes from time, Brown-Hill and Ward combined to create a real opportunity but Hinckley survived and Gibson’s opener proved to be the winner.

24/7/2022 7:03 PM  #32

The Hinckley fans and officials seemed well pleased with their performance against Ilkeston. From their point of view they matched us for much of the game, especially in the second half and to only lose by a single goal was a satisfactory result for them.

From our point of view, we looked good in the first half and should have scored more goals. But it was noticeable that we were very reliant on Montel to create the openings.

I think Martin Carruthers may be right when he suggested that the team will raise it's game when we play against better opposition. We'll soon find out when we host Boston United on Tuesday evening.

Personally I'm no nearer to knowing what our best team is. I really like our four full backs, Ben O'Hanlon, Kalern Thomas, Bennett and Brown-Hill. Two are going to miss out. Kalern Thomas and Ollie Brown-Hill both played well against Hinckley. The two not chosen to play at Tamworth are going to be unlucky.

Hopefully the Boston game will give us some idea of what Carruthers is thinking regarding team selection. He did say that in the last two friendlies he would be looking for players to be playing 90 minutes. The Boston team should be the standard we will be playing against in the league so this should be our most more revealing pre-season match so far.

After the Boston game it's just Belper to play before the big kickoff at Tamworth. Following the Tamworth ticketing problems encountered by the Supporters Group I think our fans will be 100% behind the team at the Lamb and it could just give us the edge.

24/7/2022 9:34 PM  #33

Only been to Kimberley match.

I must say MC isnt happy after watching his interview after the shitshed game.

Boston on Tuesday. I cant wait my birthday

25/7/2022 6:25 AM  #34

Alex wrote:

So 2 new signings then on the bench?

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Not new signings Alex:  just trialists I think  - I shouldn't have named them.

Last edited by Matchman (25/7/2022 6:25 AM)

25/7/2022 9:04 AM  #35

Was they any good?

25/7/2022 9:25 AM  #36

The young right-back who came on at half-time impressed again. Had a very good half against Shepshed as well. I guess with a 19 man squad we won’t be taking him on but someone’s gonna pick up a good right-back.

Board footera