WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18/7/2022 6:32 PM  #31

Re: Southern League signings

DATE: MON 18 JUL 2022  BY STEVE WHITNEY

First Three New Saints of 2022/23
Pitching In Southern League Premier Division Central club St Ives Town have announced three new signings ahead of the 2022/23 campaign. Johnny Herd, Jonathan Edwards and Julien Saka have all checked into Westwood Road.

Herd is an experienced 32-year-old left-back who joins the Saints from former league rivals and now Vanarama National League South newcomers Peterborough Sports. He had signed for the 2021/22 Southern Premier Division Central play-off winners in February 2019 from St Neots Town. He made 42 appearances for Southend United earlier in his career with a highlight playing twice against Chelsea in the FA Cup. He moved to Ebbsfleet United in 2011 and then onto Bishop`s Stortford in 2012 before joining St Neots at the start of the 2017/18 season.

Edwards is a 25-year-old forward who moves from Southern Division One Central side FC Romania. He had joined the Wolves in August 2021 from the Saints` league rivals Royston Town. He joined National League South club Maidstone United in June 2019 from former National League rivals FC Halifax Town and then joined Biggleswade Town in January 2020 and to then-league rivals Royston in July 2020. He joined the Shaymen from Hull City in the summer of 2018. Luton-born, he started his career with Stevenage before signing his first professional contract with Peterborough United. He had loan spells with Bishop’s Stortford, Biggleswade Town, Ilkeston Town and St Albans City before joining Dunstable Town in 2016. Hull gave him a one-year contract following a successful trail with their under-21 squad and he had loan spells with Accrington and Woking during his time at the KC Stadium.

Saka is a 21-year-old right-back who signs from Soham Town Rangers, who were relegated back to the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division at the end of last season. He had been at Julius Martin Lane since December 2021. Born in France, he has also been with Isthmian League South Central side Tooting & Mitcham United, Chessington & Hook United and Colliers Wood United.

18/7/2022 6:49 PM  #32

I remember Edwards up front. All i remember about him is that he always had his boots on the wrong feet.

Who did he play up front with?

21/7/2022 6:37 AM  #33

DATE: WED 20 JUL 2022   BY STEVE WHITNEY

Full-back Ryan Wilson is the latest addition to Pitching In Southern League Premier Division Central newcomers Mickleover’s squad for the forthcoming season.

The 29-year-old has spent the past few seasons with Sports` rivals Basford United, who are also making the move to the Southern Premier Division Central this term. Wilson had been with Basford since March 2019.
 The son of former Chelsea striker and ex-Banbury United, Kettering Town and Ilkeston Town manager Kevin Wilson, he joined Vanarama National League North outfit AFC Telford United in September 2017 from Matlock Town and made 18 appearances before jetting off to play in Australia in March 2018. 
 He started out at Ilkeston under his father`s management and then had moved to Gateshead, Alfreton Town, Coalville Town, from where he joined Matlock in July 2017.
Wilson told Sports` Peter Scherer: “It was the gaffer John McGrath that persuaded me to come because they play football here the way I like to play, so I knew I would fit in OK”.
MICKLEOVER WEB SITE   

02/8/2022 12:33 PM  #34

Basford sign another ex-Ilkeston player

Premier Division Central newcomers Basford United have completed the signings of Josh Barnes and Riece Bertram. 

Barnes was one of six academy prospects released by Premier League new boys Nottingham Forest at the end of the 2021/22 season, having been at the City Ground since he was 8 years old. The 21-year-old was a fairly constant figure in Forest’s under-23 squad last season, making 13 starts in 23 appearances as they finished fourth in the Premier League 2 Division 2. The midfielder made a handful of senior appearances for the Reds under then-manager Chris Hughton and spent part of the last campaign in Cornwall, on loan at Truro City where he made his Vanarama National League South debut against Salisbury.

Bertram is a tough tackling player who is equally at home when deployed on defensive duties. The 30-year-old was almost ever-present in the Carlton Town team in 2018/19 and prior to joining Carlton, he featured for Basford. He joined Northern Premier Division One Midlands club Belper Town in the summer of 2019 and then moved onto then-league rivals Ilkeston Town in May 2020 before returning to the Nailers in May 2021. He joined NPL Premier outfit Matlock Town in February 2022 and then re-joined Belper a month later. He helped the Nailers to win promotion to the NPL Premier in 2021/22.

Basford boss Mark Clifford told the club’s website: “I’m really pleased to add both Riece and Josh to our squad. They add quality, flexibility, and depth to our squad and have shown their worth in recent matches and training. “As late additions to our pre-season squad, I am really pleased with the group and strength-in-depth as we now turn all eyes to Saturday’s trip to Royston”.
BASFORD UNITED WEB SITE  

Board footera