WhiteBallProject
The Independent Voice of Ilkeston Football

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/3/2017 2:04 PM  #1

March

March is the penultimate month of the season and we have a full schedule of eight matches, 4 Saturday games and 4 midweek games.:

Sat  04 Mar  -  WARRINGTON  (home)
            Mon 06 Mar  -  Hednesford  (away)
            Sat  11 Mar  -  Grantham  (away)
            Tue 14 Mar  -  STAFFORD RANGERS  (home)
            Sat  18 Mar  -  NANTWICH  (home)
            Mon 20 Mar  - Stourbridge  (away)
            Sat  25 Mar  -  FRICKLEY  (home)
            Tue  28 Mar  -  Nantwich  (away)

At the moment it is still possible for us to avoid the drop.  By the end of this month the escape could be beyond us or we could still be in there fighting. To put it another way, we have to produce a spectacular run of results this month to have any hope. Most supporters are of the opinion that the present team will be unable to pick up enough points. We are therefore left clinging to the hope that a few experienced players can be brought in quickly to strengthen the team. Shaun Goater has indicated the type of players he would like to bring in but the question is: Will it happen? and if so Will it happen quickly enough? There are rumours of things happening at the Club but we still await anything definite.
It's my opinion that two or three experienced players would bring out the best in some of our younger players who have done well in difficult circumstances.
Top priority for me is a striker. We've scored only 4 goals in our last 15 league games and that is the main reason we've only won one of them. To persuade a decent player to join a Club facing relegation is not going to be easy and that will be Shaun Goater's biggest problem. Our best chance may be getting someone who is currently out of favour at his present cub or getting loan signings from a Football League club. Hopefully Shaun has the contacts to enable this.
The fans need to see that efforts are being made to improve the team. We need to be seen to be making a determined effort to stave off relegation or support will continue to dwindle. It may only take two or three wins to start a revival but all of the March fixtures except for Frickley are against top half teams. The matches against top three sides Nantwich (home and away) and Stourbridge (away) are unlikely to yield any points. We are therefore looking for points from the Warrington, Hednesford, Grantham, Stafford and Frickley matches.  In my opinion if no new players come in our fate will be sealed by the end of a very difficult March. If we happen to be still fighting then we face an equally difficult final month when we have to play; Workington (A), Buxton (A), Stourbridge (H), Spennymoor (A), Mickleover (H), Ashton (A) and Halesowen (H).

07/3/2017 8:58 AM  #2

Re: March

I was really disappointed that the Hednesford match was postponed because it would have been a quick way to forget the less than encouraging performance against Warrington. In my opinion the Warrington match was one we could have got at least a point from. That postponement means that we will now have to play two evening games in one week during the run in but that should not be a problem for our full time young players. Next up is Grantham away on Saturday. While ever it's mathematically possible to avoid relegation we've got to treat every game like a cup final. A win at Grantham is very much needed to boost morale. If we were to end this week with three points at The Meres, I have a feeling that it could be the start of something.

07/3/2017 10:13 PM  #3

At least tonight's results didn't do too much damage to our slim survival hopes. Corby and Sutton Coldfield picked up a point and Frickley, Halesowen, Marine and Skelmersdale lost. 

16/3/2017 11:47 AM  #4

The hard earned point at Grantham needed to be followed up by a win against Stafford but it didn't happen. The two early soft goals conceded left us with too much to  do. Still at least we completed the fixture following teething problems with the new generator. Thankfully the match officials were understanding enough to give us time to sort out the problem although unfortunately one of the Stafford officials was less than sympathetic regarding our problems. 
Nantwich at home on Saturday will be a severe test. They are unbeaten in their last twelve matches winning 8 and drawing 4. 

Last edited by Matchman (16/3/2017 11:52 AM)

Board footera